3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat related Video Tutorials

• Advanced Member

My work has agreed to allow me to create video tutorials for 3d-coat. Which is great because now I get to use 3DC more at work. :clapping:

The first tutorial was released today

. It shows how to use VirtualDub to compile the image sequences from 3DC into an AVI.

I will also be posting additional information on my works blog.

I'm working through a 4 (or so) part series that will cover a basic workflow through voxels, retopo, painting and exporting.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

Let me know what you think, so that i will know how to improve them. And I'm open to topic suggestions. :)

excellent work , just out of interest how are you capturing , i cant get the frame rate correct with the audio sync , any suggetions

• Advanced Member

What are you using to capture?

I recorded the audio separately. It's easier for me to concentrate on the visual demonstration and worry about what to talk about later. At least at this point as i'm new to creating tutorials. I'm using the free CamStudio to do the screen capture then later watching the video while recording the voice track. I put everything together in After Effects and I haven't had any problems with audio not syncing with the video.

I haven't tried recording audio with CamStudio though. One problem I have encountered using CamStudio is if the recording goes beyond 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes it errors while saving the video. :dash2:

• Advanced Member

I've uploaded 3 more videos here. They are the first 3 in a series covering creating and sculpting a damaged pillar from voxel primitives.

As I have time, I plan to add more videos following the retopo (manual and auto), painting and exporting of the pillar.

@mwgrafx

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

I will look into creating a vimeo channel.

• Contributor
I've uploaded 3 more videos here. They are the first 3 in a series covering creating and sculpting a damaged pillar from voxel primitives.

As I have time, I plan to add more videos following the retopo (manual and auto), painting and exporting of the pillar.

@mwgrafx

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

I will look into creating a vimeo channel.

Thanks for the contribution! :clapping: This technique will be very handy for the rapid construction of stage props for our scenes.

I've already posted this on vimeo:

Really nice. I wish there would be a possibility to fix the brush depth. At the moment: The more you press the pen, the deeper the mask will be projected.

A good option in 3DC could be a "maximum projection depth", which limits the brush depth. This could be very nice for creating sufaces.

PS @3DArtist:

If you have a free account on vimeo it allows you to post a hd-video once a week. The video can have a size of 1280x720 pixels or smaller, but not bigger. I've done it already and it is very nice.

Great Pillar tutorial. Reminds me of a similar one for ZB, I guess that's where you got the idea. I'm going to share it with my friend who just finished up work on the new Ghostbusters game. I know his studio was looking at 3DC, maybe your tutorial will be good advertising.

Care to share that PNG file?

• Advanced Member

@philnolan3d

Thanks! I hope your friend finds it interesting.

I remember seeing a pillar tutorial (your probably right that it was from zbrush) and thought that would it be really fun to do in 3DC. Especially because of the freedom voxels allow :moil:

I got the image from CGTextures.com:

Original image here

Edited post-631-1247492599_thumb.png

Great, thanks, I use CGTextures a lot, but this saves me the work of finding the right one and your edit looked pretty handy too. Here's the other pillar tutorial, turns out it was actually mudbox.

http://eat3d.com/pillar

That made me think that it might be cool to add some rebar to this using Curves.

• Advanced Member

yup, thats the one.

I was thinking about adding some kind of piping or some other cool industrial looking stuff, I wish i had more time to work on it.

Is it just me or are the curves awkward to work with? The gizmo is strange, scaling and translation not on the same axis?

and if one of the scaling boxes is over the central scale, i end up scaling in X (or any other single axis) instead of XYZ.

• Contributor
Curves aren't too bad IMO. I do agree the gizmo should be more like the standard ones you see in the Voxel Primitive Cube tool. Here I just made a quick video showing basic character base creation with curves:

Nice turn-on there, Phil! :clapping: Voxels make for a very fast prototype of just about anything. This example adds to my list of rocks, ruins, character heads, clothes and armor and now whole bodies.

• Contributor
I'm pretty sure he means the ones that 3DArtist did... you know, the ones in this thread...?

Not cool to hijack a thread with self-promotion...

I'm sure that was not Jarvis' intention. To paraphrase. "Not cool" to pick a fight in the forum.

I'm pretty sure he means the ones that 3DArtist did... you know, the ones in this thread...?

Not cool to hijack a thread with self-promotion...

Actually instead of becoming hostile, and assuming I was self promoting.... Why not ASK me WHY I posted in this thread.

Oh, don't want to? Well then, let me EXPLAIN it to you so you wont be making baseless assumptions and in turn, becoming rude yourself, OK?

I clicked the link, all I saw was ONE post, I was a little bewildered as to why there would be one post and assumed it was for the videos I did for the 3DC manual, so that's why I said:

"If you mean the ones I did...

You're welcome. smile.gif"

Now that I see there is more then one page, obviously my post may come off differently. Which is certainly not something I would do. See, you don't know me, and making assumptions about me is NOT COOL in itself. So instead of posting a rude comment about someone or something, I urge you to next time, take a step back, and consider being more polite and ASKING what that person is doing or what their intentions are. As an assumption you make, may actually piss someone off.

Thanks for reading.

PS- I have removed my previous post as it was made in error.