3DCoat Forums

LJB's Sculpting Tutorials

• Contributor

I have produced a set of 11 videos detailing the first stages of my new workflows in 3D Coat.

ScreenGrab.jpg

I detail how to Use Vox Tree and and many tools to build each muscle group individually the merge to create a base shown above (With tips on eye placement and Proportion along the way). I thought it may benifit some sculpters who ae just starting out , and hopefully influence 3D Coats and its Voxels as their first choice.

These videos are not highly polished I admit but they do show some nice approches for using tools like 2d paint, Copy and Voxel to curve. I hope they open eyes to potentially different workflows with Voxel, and experimentation of toolset.

In just compressing them now but i havea question would you guys prefer them online (You tube probably) or raw to download. I have Ensharpen here so i can produce High quality for download if you dont mind file sizes?

[Edit 12/07/09] the tutorials can be found on my Vimeo channel HERE.

My Skull Prefab (With Muscle layers) for following can be found HERE, you will need beta 3.08c or higher BTW.

- leigh

• Advanced Member

Looking forward to your video's LJB! Thanks for taking the time to create them. I was thinking about making a new one this evening. Now i may watch yours instead though. ;)

As for converting for online viewing. I think thats your best bet. Otherwise you will get hosting problems for sure.

I will recommend vimeo for you. Very good quality. You can also post video's longer then 10 minutes which i find a huge benefit (youtube only allows 10min).

Keep in mind they have an upload limit of 500 mb per week for a free account.

Here is my vimeo channel in case your interested in the quality of Vimeo. Vimeo Album

3dioot

PS

Offcourse for me it would be no problem if you could find a host to put them on for download. ^_^ You could also do both. Vimeo for the lazy who first want to check out wether they are cool online and hosting for the fans who want high quality. ;)

• Contributor
I can already tell these will be valuable. thanks for putting these together!

Personally I would probably just download them but having both options would be nice too.

Many thanks for these efforts. File size is no problem for me. :clapping:

• Contributor

Appologies people the codec i used throw an erro when i upped to Vimeo. and compression to AVI is taking time I will leave running tonight and im off home for the evening. On a plus note my unpaying client has been in touch and Im not expecting funds to clear till next week at the earliest so I will have the rest of the week to play some more and maybe do the next set of fleshing out and detailing too.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for these videos. It is possible to upload the original non web encoded version in rapidshare if you want the original quality.

I already learned so much from the part1 video. using decrease, clay, scrape brush technique. Excellent practical workflow. :clapping:

• Contributor

Hi Guys Im about to start on the Fleshing out series of these but b4 i do, (and this is aimed at those who have watched the videos) I missed the Risorius volume out completely i made the mistake of putting the Levator in the Risorius volume and though i corrected my self in the video i never went back to add in the Risorius muscle so I have just finshed an 11th part of my Chapter 1 video where i do add it in. please find it on my vimeo channel HERE!

• Advanced Member

Hi LJB,

I just finished chapter 1, but I wonder if it's important to get the version 3.00.08, I use 3.00.07?

It looks a little different.

The introduction of part 2 I did not get what you said about making a surface.

It's hard to merge all parts and knowing what's happening.

post-1736-1247158087_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Selecting the Cube shown turns the volume to a srface representation.

Not sure about differences from 7-8 maybe. looks like you could maybe be a little finer with your laying out of the Zygomacticus and levator they are all a lot thinner than what you have there. I will compress the File i have here but i doubt it will work with ver 7.

post-1266-1247159282_thumb.jpg

Hi LJB,

While still in evaluation period I found your tutorials.

After already the first video, I felt that I learned something useful, this is great to really try 3D-coat out. A big thanks to you, its very generous of you.

Regards, Robert

• Contributor

3Dioot - Yes you are correct. It is a common way to address the face true.

Space painter - Thanks for finding that in mud box to illustrate this.

what I was trying to get across was that 3D Coat really lends itself to this workflow true topology less sculpting remove the constraints to this approach as we have in mud box and ZBrush. so it is ideal to use for this workflow for this reason. I mentioned in the intro to chapter one that this is how i was taught. I often use this appraoch in both MB and ZB but it is not quite as nice as here in 3D Coat. Nor is there any reason for going to town with detail of muscles that is all just a waste of time when constructing heads for production.

In a nut its a sculpting approach that lends itself to the product and I illustrate it in my tutorials.

Tony Nemo - I would love to think that having seen this inspired others but I am a modest fellow and I shared workflow is all. I dont think we here on this forum reach out that far just yet. Thank you though. perhaps in the future.

- leigh

Tony Nemo - I would love to think that having seen this inspired others but I am a modest fellow and I shared workflow is all. I dont think we here on this forum reach out that far just yet. Thank you though. perhaps in the future.

- leigh

Well, you certainly inspired me too. While going trough your movies and adding muscles to the skull that you so kindly provided, I started to feel unhappy because I had skipped the first step; modelling the skull. So I took a step back, and now I find myself struggling doing just that. Im absolutely new to 3D-Coat (C4D is my main 3D tool), but I must say this is a great way of doing organic modelling for me. It will take some time to learn and get used to 3D-Coat, but I enjoy every minute of it.

Regards, Robert

• Contributor
Well, you certainly inspired me too. While going trough your movies and adding muscles to the skull that you so kindly provided, I started to feel unhappy because I had skipped the first step; modelling the skull. So I took a step back, and now I find myself struggling doing just that. Im absolutely new to 3D-Coat (C4D is my main 3D tool), but I must say this is a great way of doing organic modelling for me. It will take some time to learn and get used to 3D-Coat, but I enjoy every minute of it.

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert Check my Vimeo Channel. I now include a speed sculpt of skull from a vox sphere. Hope that helps. Might take a little while for it to show seems kinda slow tonight on conversion.

- leigh

• Contributor
Hi LJB, Thats great! I just checked but it didnt show up yet, will came back later in the day to see if its already available. Anyway Im looking forward to it, Im sure it will be useful. Thanks again, regards, Robert

It's up page 2, 2nd video - "Bonus video - Speed sculpt skull form".