3DCoat Forums

LJB's Sculpting Tutorials

• Advanced Member

:blush: Thanks for the stimulating reactions...

Great that you share this workflow for people new to sculpting like me.

My results are still poor partly due to a lack of experience with the tools. I did not get the clay brush to behave like yours in the tutorial, extrude and increase can be used just as well though.

At a private academy in Amsterdam they teach this way with waxmodels but most of the academies specialize in talking about concepts, so it may not be so common to work this way.

• Contributor

I added a Speed Sculpt section to the Vimeo channel just to show some of my other sculptings, First up a horses head. I feel this really shows off the benifits of using Voxels over Polysculpting for areas such as roughing in eyes and growing instant volume for the ears. Also it shows a little problem (yes another with the pose tool and scaling). You will see when i add the ears toward the end that i use the pen selection mode and then scale the ears but it appears that the selection did not grab all the voxels and i have to go back and tidy things up.

Find it HERE.

HH.jpg

• Advanced Member

"The limitations of the number of polygons and how they eat all the RAM, also how topology dependant this softwares are ( mb, zb ) so once you start sculpting you just can?t change topology and keep sculpting in a seamless way....maybe with some sort of voxel modelling we could get rid of that? no idea how that works :)

Also the retopology stuff is still a pain in the a**e so some sort of faster better retopology tools could be great..."

http://digitalclay.ning.com/forum/topics/c...ews-alex-huguet

• Contributor
"The limitations of the number of polygons and how they eat all the RAM, also how topology dependant this softwares are ( mb, zb ) so once you start sculpting you just can?t change topology and keep sculpting in a seamless way....maybe with some sort of voxel modelling we could get rid of that? no idea how that works :)

Also the retopology stuff is still a pain in the a**e so some sort of faster better retopology tools could be great..."

http://digitalclay.ning.com/forum/topics/c...ews-alex-huguet

Ah yes but Retopology Does prove far quicker workflow than box or edge modelling form from scratch and i think that is more the issue here. The retop tools of 3d coat are I would say some of the best out there (if not the) so I am comfortable with that. If you have Bases, pre-existing meshes to work from then starting in the voxel room is fine. If you have existing topology that you need to preserve then I would use ZBrush or Mudbox (More dependant on how im feeling, mmm... is it a MB or ZB day today :) ) purely because it preserves things and the Mesh sulpting room in 3d coat has a long way to come. Voxels in 3d coat is only really any good for concept sculpting in my eyes at the moment, where preserving edgeflow is not required. so that is how i will use it. Trying to introduce edgflow to voxels defies the objectives of topologyless sculpting.

• Advanced Member

Just wanted to say i really like your horse speed sculpt Leigh!

I want to give you a tip also if you dont mind. :)

If you select a lasso tool (any kind) and hold ctrl while drawing it you will cut/trim away parts of your model.

Its not just great for holes; you can also use it to quickly trim profiles into shape. :)

3dioot

PS

Also, if you are using clay as rough as you are now (high strength with sharp alpha) you may like to use carve instead. I dont think it will make much of a difference in what you get but it will be a bit faster. :) (just switch to clay/extrude for the finer stuff)

• Contributor

3DArtist - Thank you I'll add some more maybe another tonight i have to some ZB work on a mesh when i get home but I will try some painting in 3D Coat for texture.

Space Painter - Try not to think that way and do some topology studies! Your mesh work will get better for it and when it comes to animating your meshes you wont completely have to re-author them, Which can really break the moral of a job!!

3Dioot - Thank You! Of course I dont mind, And do you know what that is exactly what i just found in one of Greg Copin's Tutorials and I thought Ah thats cool. I'll try it, I'll try the Carve too but its really for speed i use the clay brush I find it more pridictable Carve seems a little slap happy at the moment.

• Advanced Member

You didnt watch my vid's did you? ;) (lasso tool is at the end of the voxel primer video)

On my video on brushes i explain in depth what is different about carve and extrude and where carve fails. In fact, personally, id like to see it removed but some people are lobbying for it to stay so it will probably be in 3dcoat forever.

It is faster then extrude though (simpler process and hence the unpredictability).

3dioot

• Contributor
You didnt watch my vid's did you? ;) (lasso tool is at the end of the voxel primer video)

On my video on brushes i explain in depth what is different about carve and extrude and where carve fails. In fact, personally, id like to see it removed but some people are lobbying for it to stay so it will probably be in 3dcoat forever.

It is faster then extrude though (simpler process and hence the unpredictability).

3dioot

Quite on the contrary my friend i did watch your videos and enjoyed them very much, but I was at home watching them on the TV and my little one was stirring so i had the volume low!!

Unfortunately your tones do not agree with this I may as well have watch with mute I will go back and re investigate the end of the primer! ;)

And yes I thought your brush comparison vid was very informative. I too see little point in the carve tool with the new extrude but im sure it has its uses somewhere. Maybe if Andrew sets to and invests some time when he has finshed his list of bugzz in brush feel and performance carve may pop back into usefulness. :)

• Contributor
Cheers for the tuts LJB will be good to see how you do what your doing!!! Liked the horse head !!!!

Thank you Jake. I'm pleased you took the time to respond, I will have some more videos shortly, Busy at the moment.

- leigh

• Advanced Member

Great videos....looking forward to more from you....!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...