3DCoat Forums

We will not participate SIGGRAPH 2009.

We will not participate in SIGGRAPH 2009 because of I was rejected today in getting American visa.

I was sure that I will get visa - I have enough source of income, I have invitation from SIGGRAPH, I have own flat in Kiev, wife and 3 children, so I can't stay in USA.

But I was rejected without explanation - they spoken with me less then minute or so. They given me standard paper with "reason", but really I have not found actual reason there. Appelation is not possible. Is it random? Real shame and frustration. How is it possible?

I can understand all if there is at least some small reason. But I really don't like something irrational and unreasonable.

Negative: lost 3700$ (SIGGRAPH registration+visa request), one day of life, less belief in peoples

Positive: Got one more week for family and 3D-Coat improvements instead of SIGGRAPH, additional 10000$ was not spent.

Positive seems to be longer :P

• Advanced Member
We will not participate in SIGGRAPH 2009 because of I was rejected today in getting American visa.

I was sure that I will get visa - I have enough source of income, I have invitation from SIGGRAPH, I have own flat in Kiev, wife and 3 children, so I can't stay in USA.

But I was rejected without explanation - they spoken with me less then minute or so. They given me standard paper with "reason", but really I have not found actual reason there. Appelation is not possible. Is it random? Real shame and frustration. How is it possible?

I can understand all if there is at least some small reason. But I really don't like something irrational and unreasonable.

Negative: lost 3700$ (SIGGRAPH registration+visa request), one day of life, less belief in peoples

Positive: Got one more week for family and 3D-Coat improvements instead of SIGGRAPH, additional 10000$ was not spent.

Madness :(, I has no idea it was so hard to get into the US.

$10 000 sounds like a decent staff holiday to me :).. call it team building

• Advanced Member

Such senseless decisions are hard not to take personally but try and remember the 'system' is never built to handle individuals but to try and make such silly decisions based upon perceived 'averages' or other such discrimonatory systems.

It is remarkable how much upfront costs can be charged to an exhibitor such as Andrew/3dCoat without the slightest guarantee or refund applied if cannot attend due to such bureaucratical decisions.

• Advanced Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Siggraph according to many artists I've talked to is not the same. Its smaller and quite less attended. We sent someone last year to attend and even paid an english translator to accompeny my collegue but this year I don't think my bosses will send anyone.

For 3dcoat to be more popular its just word of mouth of how good it is and stable it is in production and seeing the quality of work by users. Its the internet that will judge a product nowadays.

• Advanced Member

This sucks! The times of rejecting usa visa were supposed to be long gone. You can try getting your money back for siggraph attendance, just call customer service and talk to them.

If you want to demo 3dc somewhere at SG - i can do it :)

• Advanced Member

Well truthfully I am not sure that Siggraph would have helped 3dcoat. Word of mouth and proof from users is much louder than a booth at Siggraph. The only thing I could think of is that you might miss out on some technical presentation that might be an inspiration to your creativity. I think that it is great that you are different and dont think and work like everyone else. Loss for US users though :(

I'm sorry to hear this Andrew. It's amazing in this day and age, with so many of us communicating on a global level right here in this very forum, that we still have issues such as this. As stated by others I'm certain 3DCoat will continue to flourish regardless of missing Siggraph... Who knows, maybe you can announce some crazy new feature that week and turn a few heads there! (Ok that was wishful thinking!)

• Applink Developer

THis is wrong! I will make some phone calls just don't know where to call about this. Remember that sometimes bad things can turn to be a good thing. 3d-coat is much more powerfull and no any visa officer could stop it!

Found it:

http://kiev.usembassy.gov/visa_contactinfo_eng.html

EDIT: I'm not saying do anything harsh, or negative!!!

Just a simple, why was "Andrew Shpagin denied a temporary visa for SIGGRAPH." In fact, if someone wants to type of a canned letter so it would be easier for some people, that is not a bad idea. Also, please, be polite, no one likes being treated poorly, especially people that can decide yae or nay on something such as this.

Yes I agree, 3D-Coat will only win from this "miss".

The only really wrong and unfair thing is relation to peoples. At least I have right to get corresponding explanation. I felt itself like "not a human".

Ok, anyway, I will not be to aggressive :) Maybe it is sign that SIGGRAPH is really not something important and I should not play too much with standard marketing?

Just hardwork and love users.

Man I am sorry to read this... I didn't even consider for a moment you would be denied. Frankly, I'm astonished.

Completely understand you, when you say how you feel about people regarding this... It's just not right. I will be contacting the US Embassy in Ukraine about this, to voice my concern.

• Contributor
Man I am sorry to read this... I didn't even consider for a moment you would be denied. Frankly, I'm astonished.

Completely understand you, when you say how you feel about people regarding this... It's just not right. I will be contacting the US Embassy in Ukraine about this, to voice my concern.

Some body sharing Andrew's name is on a list. It happens all the time. They should have the technology that permits an "I'm the good Andrew" in some bio id that can't be counterfeited.

I assume then that Shpagin is possibly a common surname, and that there is an imposter or doppleganger commiting evil deeds? Are these evil 3D-eeds? Ok bad joke. :P

Seriously, is it a common surname?

"I can understand all if there is at least some small reason. But I really don't like something irrational and unreasonable."

Anytime you deal with government things get more and more unrational and the US government has gotten about as unrational as you can get these days so sorry you were denied. I decided not to go this year when I found out that the exhibition is only open tues through thursday so that cuts out being able to go there on a weekend and stay one more day, if I want to go, I am going to have to take several days off from work and that is not acceptable. Why do they do this? This is stupid really. A lot of people won't go because of this I think.

Positive seems to be longer :P

I am really sorry to hear this, that's a lot of money to waste because of government red-tape. The immigration and visas from the US today are driven by paranoia and such decisions seem to be random and irrational. Part of the price we are meant to accept in the war-on-whatever-it-is-at-the-moment. Stupidity if you ask me. I wouldn't loose your belief in people, people are fine. It's functionaries and moronic bureaucrats that are the problem...

I read someone say Siggraph was getting smaller above. Last time I went was 2004 and it was quite large, However it was in LA that year, I understand the odd years when it's in a different local like Boston, San Antonio (the first one I went to), and this years New Orleans, it is generally smaller since it's further away from where most of the CG houses are.

• Reputable Contributor

I wish there was something we could do...someone to call, here. I can't understand why they would turn down a software developer that has a booth at a major convention like Siggraph. It's not like you are just some schmuck off the street. They can easily verify your credentials by calling the folks running Siggraph. Too much work for them to do, I guess. Is there any way to contact the one who denied you and point them to this website and the give them the Siggraph contact info? I just can't see them being that callous, when they have an abundance of proof that you are a legitimate businessman on a business trip.

I would contact the folks at Siggraph and see if they can't intervene here or refund your money. You aren't pulling out voluntarily. If you can't get your money back, as an alternative perhaps you can send a representative to run your booth, and broadcast demonstrations (yourself) over the web. Perhaps Javis and maybe Dwayne Ferguson (aka "Wolf") would be good candidates to "handle business" for you. :)

I'm not sure if Siggraph could give a full refund. It's probably too late for someone else to to fill that booth. Like missing a dentist visit, they often charge you anyway because the doctor's time is taken whether you're there or not. My dad works in convention sales I'll ask him what he thinks.

You should just take a flight to Mexico and cross the border illegally. It seems it is FAR easier than getting a Visa these days.

Pretty sad, we have "many millions" of new illegal immigrants every single year in the US, with about a 10% return/enforcement rate, and yet an upstanding and successful business man from the international community can't get permission to enter the country for a few days.

The real sad part is this is my and many others, tax dollars at work. :(

Sorry to hear you got denied.

• Contributor
You should just take a flight to Mexico and cross the border illegally. It seems it is FAR easier than getting a Visa these days.

Pretty sad, we have "many millions" of new illegal immigrants every single year in the US, with about a 10% return/enforcement rate, and yet an upstanding and successful business man from the international community can't get permission to enter the country for a few days.

The real sad part is this is my and many others, tax dollars at work. :(

Sorry to hear you got denied.

The coyotes would charge Andrew a fortune and then rat him out at the border.

• Advanced Member

North America has changed politically in the last six months. Some foreign companies like Maxon have a representative living here that can promote for them at shows here.

• 5 months later...