3DCoat Forums

Baking multiple objects seperately for future editing

Sui

Question

I just finished retopo my model and tried baking and then exported obj and normal map to Substance Painter. It seems Coat baked UV and normal map on a single sheet, and there is a significant downgrade in detail in SP, compared to Coat paint room. 

I would like to bake the normal map and uv on separate sheets for each every volume. Hopefully it would be easier to navigate in SP. Can I do this in Coat? THX.image.thumb.png.32394ef6de379b6177e62860972b3b1c.pngimage.png.10d35aa81bdaee6949bd9057f0c89691.pngimage.thumb.png.92143e654068abeb629fd074b5a7bf4a.png

6 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor

What is not making sense is the normal map detail you see in 3DC should be the same in SP.  Make sure all your normal map import settings are correct in SP and you are working at the same resolution as in SP that the normal map was created in. 

"Question" are you looking at the voxel, surface room objects in the paint room. Look under the View menu and deselect Show Voxels in Painting Room if it is selected. The voxel and or surface models can overlap and hide the baked painting room mesh.

Now you will see the normal mapped low polygon model in the paint room to check for quality. If you want one uv set increase the uv set resolution for better quality when baking from the retopo room.

I do not know if the voxel / surface mode models are appearing in the paint room in your scene so hence the above question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the above is known do the below.

To make it clear Sequential Texture Baking, or Names Correspondence will not bake and create a normal map for each volume with just one uv set.

It will prevent occlusion and intersection errors of sculpt room voxels or surface model layers. They will be baked separately.

Separate your separate voxels or surface mode model layers into more than one uv set as the Sequential Texture baking video says. That video is very old but still does cover the basics. 

""Important"" and is a strict requirement the Polygroup layers and Voxel / Surface mode layers must have the same exact name for Names Correspondence to work.

Picture shows what I mean. 

I got four poly groups, four surface mode layers, the names are the same and have 4 created uv sets. I used Names Correspondence for baking. 

I used auto wrap per uv set just to show the workflow.

baking.jpg

I didnt create UV sets prior to the baking process. Coat unwrapped UV for me as I started baking in retopo room. Guess thats why there is only one UV sheet and hence the detail lost. (P.S. I did tried baking objects one by one like in the video and it worked fine. Glad to know Coat can do this for me)

Now this may sound dumb. I cant quite understand the workflow and UI. Do I have to unwrap UV for individual object manually befor baking? Or is there an option in Coat to automatically unwrap each UV just like Sequential Baking.

OK. That adds other confusions. Right now I have a project which contains several voxel objects, along with autopoed low poly meshes. For this one I baked meshes one by one and Coat created UV tiles and material maps for each bake. It worked great and I am ready to export for SP.image.png.e31ce3386bf22fa87154dd6453ad54ae.png image.png.5a90d99f7a2b3bc34df45a36e8206e47.png

But, I dont quite understand the UV unwrapping process in Coat. I cannot bring the lowpoly meshes to UV room. UV room and Retopo room also show different numbers of UV sets. If I want to start over the unwrap and bake process. How do I correctly unwrap the low poly meshes to certain numbers of UV tiles? image.png.1430e1b136f7752e8084d18cdde9f46b.pngimage.png.ef095a83f3f5aa17290bdf1dec57e20e.png

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, you are not understanding the workflow. If you can share the 3DC file, pm me with a link to download the 3DC file. I will setup the baking up correctly and send the 3DC file back to you.  This would be the fastest way to help you. 

Once you see a correct baking for multiple objects and uv sets it will inform you.

Plus I will address areas in my pm reply where you were misunderstanding the workflow.