Jump to content
3DCoat Forums
  • 1

Facets from low poly mesh being baked into displacement map.


tekgecko
 Share

Question

  • Member

I am baking a high mesh to my retopologised low poly using normal and flat displacement.

The normal map it comes with looks perfect but the flat displacement map is baking the facets of the low poly mesh into the displacement map causing lines to appear on the resulting texture. Does anyone know why this may be?

3DCoatGL64_cnhMKGGtVD.png

3DCoatGL64_zHNDzOrusK.png

3DCoatGL64_ZhXQfy0IHL.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, tekgecko said:

I am baking a high mesh to my retopologised low poly using normal and flat displacement.

The normal map it comes with looks perfect but the flat displacement map is baking the facets of the low poly mesh into the displacement map causing lines to appear on the resulting texture. Does anyone know why this may be?

3DCoatGL64_cnhMKGGtVD.png

3DCoatGL64_zHNDzOrusK.png

3DCoatGL64_ZhXQfy0IHL.png

ok couple things.... is the low poly mesh edges sharp?

and if you can send the file you currently have and we can bake it our side

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Member
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the quick reply. No, normals all set to smooth in blender before importing as a new retopo layer with app link.

Edit - I also tried exporting the mesh and importing it manually just in case it's an app link bug but I get the same issue.

Thanks, here's a link to the file:

monster.7z

Edited by tekgecko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Member

Just an update - If I bake "Bake W/ Displacement" I get "Layer 1" which has no displacement data in it.

If I first bake with flat displacement and then Bake W/ Displacement I get a second paint object appear that has a "Layer 1" containing displacement data.

So weird!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Flat displacement is the value of displacement from the flat faces. It may be used in game engines to make shader-based displacement. But there is no sense to import it as the displacement or use as the source for normal maps, there will be facets as you seen. So, for shading the Normal map only should be used! The flat displacement should be used only internally in game engines!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1
  • Member
20 hours ago, tekgecko said:

Just an update - If I bake "Bake W/ Displacement" I get "Layer 1" which has no displacement data in it.

If I first bake with flat displacement and then Bake W/ Displacement I get a second paint object appear that has a "Layer 1" containing displacement data.

So weird!

Not weird at all. Remember to question everything inside of 3D Coat.
If this software was a game it would be tagged as EARLY ACCESS
Nothing is finished, and everything is work in progress. That is how you should approach the workflow. Make backups outside of the software often, something like Blender works fine. Scale Master was nice addition but on version 24.17 it kept resetting itself without any of my input. Just giving you an example but this is and will be unpredictable software.

With baking and texturing I had many unexplained bugs that required a restart Or reimport into fresh file to get it working again. Not something I was used to in Zbrush.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Member
5 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Flat displacement is the value of displacement from the flat faces. It may be used in game engines to make shader-based displacement. But there is no sense to import it as the displacement or use as the source for normal maps, there will be facets as you seen. So, for shading the Normal map only should be used! The flat displacement should be used only internally in game engines!

Thanks Andrew, I am trying to use a displacement map specifically though as this is for a render that I want to have ultra fine resolution at render time.

Normal displacement just exports a blank "Layer 1" as mentioned before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1
  • Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

tekgecko was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Well as no one got back on this I discovered a workaround to what must be a bug, hopefully it helps someone else:

Bake a normal map for per pixel painting

Go back to the paint room and bake with displacement (non-flat)

Delete newly created paint object and export displacement maps which should now have a successful bake

Reimport displacement maps to the original paint object

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...