3DCoat Forums

Character Base mesh from curves

philnolan3d

Hey man,

I was just doing this the other day. I think it's a very cool thing, it's easy to use and you can quickly rough out a character. I was prompted to try it out by someone asking me whether there was something similar to Zspheres in 3DC.

Anyway, great job on the video, and I hope more people try this, as it's quick and easy!!!

Thanks I used the same technique to make the base for my "satan" model:

The one thing someone pointed out to me though is that with zspheres you can switch back to the spheres to do additional posing, then back and forth between spheres and sculpture.

• Contributor
Thanks I used the same technique to make the base for my "satan" model:

The one thing someone pointed out to me though is that with zspheres you can switch back to the spheres to do additional posing, then back and forth between spheres and sculpture.

Well actually this is in a way more versatile than ZSphere's and you can switch back and change the pose, ZSphere's in order to be sculpted upon have to be baked down to a polymesh surface , you can sculpt on live spheres but it can lead to trouble when you create your polymesh surface. That said curves here can be used in the same way. Curves stay where you put them so if your not happy with the result you can erase what you baked (with enter key) and select the curve tool and reposition the original curves and bake out again. You can add multiple curves too, and scale points of the curve on each axis independantly. all is remebered the next time you select the curve tool!

Another thing they have over ZSpheres is your not building rough topology so what you see in the curve preview is what will be created, no need to mess around with ZBrsuhes curvature and mimnimuim skin perchild to create somthing that looks like a blob of putty from your ZSphere form you spent hours fiddling with. [edit] and actually to that end there is no need to switch back and forth between adative skin and shperes like in zbrush as what you see is what you get.

No prob. Nice thing is that you can create your base character in a pose if you want or perhaps bend the knees and elbows, I know that help with IK and rigging later. Of course you can get more specific about proportions and all too. This was just really rough to get the idea across.