3DCoat Forums

Nurbs support

polyxo

Wow could this been true ?! . Thanks to you that you will implement this feature. For Modeling i am using Rhino since 4 years. So this will be a perfect workflow in future. Modeling in Rhino, sculpting and retopology and 3D Painting in 3DC and Animation and Rendering in Max and Mental Ray.

So keep on and please give us this feature as a present in the next update ( If this will cost a little bit, so what, tell me how much I will buy it )

• Reputable Contributor
First stage - just import 3DM.

Second - manipulating nurbs surfaces in 3DC shell

What about export - I will see how it goes.

If it can go from 3DC to IGES, CAT and/or other solid surface formats, I'm in. In 3ds Max, you mostly have to use very high $$$ plugins (NPower's PowerNurbs Pro/Translator/Solids) to export. Being able to go quickly from rapid prototype for Graphic Design/Promotional materials straight to solid surface/manufacturing stage is a very intriguing prospect.

• 1 month later...

This would be pretty much like a dream tool for me. I'm a huge fan of semi-organic, futuristic design. To be able to model, sculpt AND texture using semi-precise tools (like splines, spline-cage, t-splines, nurbs) on 3DC would be just perfect. Right now curved surface detailing, precision curve modeling and organic detailing are spread across multiple softwares and they MUST be integrated somehow. I hope 3DC become the integrator.

For instance, I'll use a model of mine. It was really hard to make the texturing and surface detailing on Photoshop and Corel Draw whithout a constant 3D visual feedback (as it was all about making the plating flow with the overal ship's shape). I can just hope one day I'll be able to design that plating with splines directly over the 3D model, with 3D visual feedback and WHY NOT, to actualy model that ship on a detail/sculpting software where the modeling boundaries aren't tied to technicalities common to packages like 3D Studio or Maya.

wallpaper.jpg

m4.jpg

very cool news. Never dared to ask modelling tools into a sculpting program, but having a polygon/sds within a 3DCoat would be awesome ! an user could simply go from start to finish within the app making a character or other pieces. T spline implementation would be fine, but i dunno if there are animation apps supporting them yet?

• Advanced Member
very cool news. Never dared to ask modelling tools into a sculpting program, but having a polygon/sds within a 3DCoat would be awesome ! an user could simply go from start to finish within the app making a character or other pieces. T spline implementation would be fine, but i dunno if there are animation apps supporting them yet?

I'm pretty sure that the first round of Nurbs support will not mean adding any classical Nurbs modeling tools at all

Very certainly we will not see Tsplines too (Andrew had to license their code which alone costs more than 3DC).

As far as I understand this simply means importing Nurbs surfaces and polysurfaces without having to mesh first

as well as curves and points. Which would be huge already for everyone building technical models.

I'm not so eager for 3dC NURBS basics. Why?- Plenty of other aps offer these. Even without a chance yet to get in deep, 3dC, seems like the closest thing to modeling based on atomic reality via cubic pixols, which to me represent space organized cubicly. It's hard to argue about space organization, by use of cubes. This is more like rapid prototyping and less formulaic metaphorically. 3dC already implements spline power tools, so these are the logical extension-area (IMHO) and pure NURBS would seem like an unnecessary extra burden for processors, bus and HD.

However translators for common formats like obj would help a whole lot! I'm not sure ultra high end formats will be widely accessible, (especially for the budget minded geniuses out there). After many years of benefiting from NURBS and the similar Smooth objects, i would agree this is very useful stuff, but really just a shorthand for physical design through a formulaic approach to design. Especially where schematic presentation is key, for selling a job idea, showing the dominant profiles, etc.... Vital really, that way. i can highly recommend my ap, formZ, under 2K US$, i think, without photorealistic rendering and more depending on higher rendering options and extra pluggin choices. Tons of powerful tools with both comprehensive solid objects and NURBS tools side by side, Swiss army knife style. Scripting seems fairly open to anyone interested, but is not my own interest area. Pluggin for Maxwell rendering is the best at the moment with some calls for a vray pluggin, a big maybe. Also a smaller faster little brother ap, bonzai3d, with the next generation of Smooth and Nurbz was just released at around 1K US$. Some people disapprove of the UI cosmetics, but it is great industrial strength to me, at affordable pricing, among the very best personal and form based support with the longest presence online. These aps seem to have a long list of translators for 3d and also some tool animation as well.

Translating 3dC into outside NURBS models also seems problematic, because there really are a variety NURBS systems, too many to bother with. Instead a user can always intersect sections of objects and project new NURBS objects, within there favorite ap-- Skinning, sweeping, lofting and meshing seem way too much.... That said, if 3dC could offer complex 3d curve extraction as an output, this would be of inestimable value. Extract the curves that 3dC uses to control the wavy branches, etc.. Whole NURBS objects run into that multi-lingual babble.

With all due respect, Bo Atkinson

• Advanced Member

Hi Bo,

I believe nobody here has the wish to exactly replicate mature Nurbs features like available inside Rhino, Alias or also FormZ.

I agree, this would not make sense (as well as I would not see a point in adding classical SubD-Modeling-tools).

What could be a great addition however are curve-driven tools like for instance visible inside these videos:

http://sensable.com/industries-video-gallery.htm

These curves (but also points, surfaces and polysurfaces) could be imported through the .3dm format which is an open file format distributed

by McNeel, the maker of Rhino. Quite a few widely used CAD-programs can natively save their geometry to .3dm (among them: SolidWorks,

Autodesk Inventor, Spaceclaim, Moi...). Users of other Cad Programs could use Rhino or the cheap program Moi as a converter.

hi polyxo,

OK! very nice, i'd call that first vid kinda masking-NURBS-controllers. nearly invisible tool components, love it! Especially if the wolf image was live vid imagery! then a builder like me could monitor real life progress and design at the same time, best way, real inspiration unleashed, thanx. life is exciting sometimes, why not?

What could be a great addition however are curve-driven tools like for instance visible inside these videos:

http://sensable.com/industries-video-gallery.htm

Ah, thanks for posting that, I've been looking for these videos since this NURBS discussion got started.

• Reputable Contributor
Maybe cheap but some powerful :)

(and he had the best Nurbs ---> OBJ converter ;)

here direct render work screen inside Moi ;)

There are some other things I'd like to see first...the UV tools upgrade that Javis mentioned not too long ago in another thread. I think having top-shelf Painting, Retopo and UV layout tools will will appeal to just about anybody. This way, if they prefer to sculpt in those tools, they can then export the mesh to 3DC to finish the rest of the work....instead of having to bounce around, back and forth.

After that is done, then perhaps some native NURBS capability, including export to a NURBS type of file format (IGES?) if you bring one in, or retopologize in NURBS instead of Poly's

There are some other things I'd like to see first...the UV tools upgrade that Javis mentioned not too long ago in another thread. I think having top-shelf Painting, Retopo and UV layout tools will will appeal to just about anybody. This way, if they prefer to sculpt in those tools, they can then export the mesh to 3DC to finish the rest of the work....instead of having to bounce around, back and forth.

After that is done, then perhaps some native NURBS capability, including export to a NURBS type of file format (IGES?) if you bring one in, or retopologize in NURBS instead of Poly's

I second this. Only thing I would prefere STEP as export file format. The IGES license is as per my knowledge quite costly and STEP is readable even by exotic CAD apps like IronCAD and by all the mayor apps anyway.

Regards

Hans

• Contributor

As Frency Pilou says.

MoI is VERY, VERY special in relation to Nurbs---FORGET what you see in those other named "nurbs?" apps efforts (except Rhino)

3DC needs to work with/combine with the real thing nurbs/obj file qualities at a level no less than that of MoI.

Brian

post-1802-1252750775_thumb.jpg

I would like to show another image by PaQ done in MoI & UV Layaout...

The reason I show this image is That I also believe it would be great if Andrew was to develop/enhance the UV tools inside 3DCoat, UV tools that could compete with www.uvlayout.com & www.unwrella.com/

UV, Painting is the the biggest pain for a Nurbs modeler IMO... 3DCoat with some work could become our best friend...

post-1802-1252753497_thumb.jpg http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...=2378&st=80

Here another image from Tinker. Now Imagine if he could all that his UV work inside 3DCoat :yahoo:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Did the nurbs support go belly up?

Does your nurbs application not have a mesh export option?.

If Andrew were to include a nurbs import then wouldn't it basically mean 3D Coat converting the nurbs into a mesh on import?. If so then why not just save Andrew the trouble and export your nurbs from your nurbs program?

• Advanced Member

Does your nurbs application not have a mesh export option?.

If Andrew were to include a nurbs import then wouldn't it basically mean 3D Coat converting the nurbs into a mesh on import?. If so then why not just save Andrew the trouble and export your nurbs from your nurbs program?

Got this is from Andrew's Twitter. It says nurbs support, nothing about converting to mesh:

I ordrered nurbs support to one programmer some time ago. Today he successfully reported and showed some results.

6:51 AM Jul 14th from TweetDeck

So, support of 3DM files and nurbs in general is coming soon (one or two months).

6:52 AM Jul 14th from TweetDeck