3DCoat Forums

Nurbs support

polyxo

• Advanced Member

Seems like I read somewhere that to add nurb support to 3DC would cost Andrew a chunk. This I can understand as a reason for it not being implemented. As it stands, 3DS is an excellent program at a very descent price. Wouldn't want that to change.

• Reputable Contributor

Seems like I read somewhere that to add nurb support to 3DC would cost Andrew a chunk. This I can understand as a reason for it not being implemented. As it stands, 3DS is an excellent program at a very descent price. Wouldn't want that to change.

If you just take a brief look at the Bug reporting section of this forum, you can see how full of a plate Andrew has. If he had someone explore it, and that same person can be used to help squash bugs...guess where I'd put my development money? I just think NURBS support is too much of a fringe feature, and unrelated to what this program is and does.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice feature to be able to import NURBS/Solids and have the option to either convert them to voxels or leave them as is. I've been using Freeform Modeling Plus for over 10 years which has that ability and it's handy, although not necessary in my day to day work. Exporting surfaces/solids out is also possible, although kind of tricky and sometimes time consuming.

I think 3DC would be better off with more NURBS type modeling tools implemented for voxels instead. Then it's easy to model hard edged objects you can then sculpt on if needed.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

And I was going to say I'm ready to see 3D Coat replace Silo 3D; - if the retopo is any indication of what Andrew can do with polygons, I can imagine him coming up with a decent polygon creation / editing toolkit for 3DC!

Silo has stalled out, and Hexagon, who knows - the only other (commercial) place to look for polygon editing is Modo.

In fact if Andrew could mimic some of the workflows and tools available in Hexagon and Silo, plus now with the mention of NURBS support, what more could you ask for from this application?? yahoo.gif

I think 3DC is going to be the app to watch (and companies to worry about) for a good amount of time to come!

-Will

This is what we need; it wouldn't take too many polygon tools added to the retopo room to create a polygonal modeling suite the equal of Maya's..

• Advanced Member

I don't understand this request, NURBS>Poly>3DCoat is so easy. The poly's don't even need to be well formed (as in maya auto) if you are turning them into voxels. There are so many other bigger issues to solve before a "It'd be nice" feature is added imo pointlessly.

I'm no so sure a few tools is all it would take to equal maya. While maya has a host of issues modeling, it also has some very nice strengths, specifically of time refining workflow. How smooth working in maya in compared to 3DCoat, that I feel is awkward by comparison. But that should be expected. Maya is, what, 12 years old? build ontop of other software even older? Development takes time and refinement shouldn't be overlooked.

• Advanced Member

that work flow reminds me of days of old using CAD programs but I get your point, yes I want more powerful curve tools. But to say support NURBS, sounds kinda crazy. zBrush has neat more powerful in ways curve tools in that new update and looks fun and great.