3DCoat Forums

micro26 sketchbook

micro26

• 3 weeks later...
My latest image is a steampunk style scenery, the transportation is inspired by nautilus.

Texturing in 3dcoat and gimp, modeling rendering in Blender.

Hope u like it

nautilos.jpgw1600.png

Nice. What is the reason for gimp? Did you started with gimp first and movend then to 3DC, or why?

• Advanced Member
Nice. What is the reason for gimp? Did you started with gimp first and movend then to 3DC, or why?

It think, he's using Linux...to bad there's no Photosop release for Linux...Apps are running like hell...3DC included. If you ever switched on Linux and get the feeling...you wan't go back to WIN! Except...you have all your expensive licences bought for that...like me... <_<

@micro26

Very nice modeling and rendering! One Hint...maybe you lighten up the background a little bit so the contrast between the ships and the background will be increased.

Did you use normal or displacement maps? I have a little bit trouble to get Normal maps to work correctly in Blender...

cheers :drinks:

Rene

• Advanced Member

Taros ,i have vista at home but some day i ll move over for linux and I wanted to try gimp just for testing it ,see what open source offers ,

and i wasnt dissapointed at all.

Cuffins thanks for your feedback, some contrast might add to the image.

Thanks for viewing

• Contributor

Gorgeous!! :o ...your composition got a very Final Fantasy XII look! I like it a lot. :)

Did you use "Edit projection in external editor" in 3DC to paint some texture work with Gimp,or did you use it only for compositing the final image?

Anyway,you need to post it in finished pieces soon,it is so worth gallery!

• Advanced Member

glad u like it, I dont plan a lot when doing fantazy stuff

artman i used gimp for making some tile textures and 3dcoat to texture the ships and structures ,the projection worked fine to add subtle details.

Haikalle, thanks man

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

thanks,

wish i had more time to finish this .

ShnitzelKiller, I voxel sculpted the head then retopo in coat and baked normal and diffuse map. I also used the voxelscolor layer(produced in coat based on material ,i used the mudbox classic one) in diffuse.

In blender i used a dome light and 2 additional spots for the hightlight and blenders sss in material and ao turned on.

Hope u like the rest of it as well.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

michalis ,for now i ll finish modeling but i dont intend to make a high res model with textures.I wouldnt add bolts etc. for retopology.Maybe i ll bake it into a low poly game model instead.

Garagarape, i blocked the main volumes with blob prim. and then started to cut and add more details to it.Smaller details are kept on a different layer with higher voxel division so as to "save" polys for later.