3DCoat Forums

Does 3Dcoat support subdivision levels with voxels

kravit

Considering voxels are not polygons, they can not be subdivided. :)

That said, you can not, at the moment, decrease resolution on a volumetric object - Yet! Andrew has stated that he is working on something to do just that. There is no word on it's eventual implementation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
In the Voxtree, they are one above the other. The menu has "increase 2X" and "decrease 2X" directly under the clone command.

I think it's the "Clone and degrade." command under RMB menu of voxel tree nodes.

Yeah this command can simplify the voxel mesh, but it's a one way operation, you may loose the details of the source mesh.

• Advanced Member
In the Voxtree, they are one above the other. The menu has "increase 2X" and "decrease 2X" directly under the clone command.

Thats densitynot resolution. Two different thing. :) Those two commands change density but not change resolution.

• Contributor

What clone and decrease does is rescales the voxel and volume in worldspace in theory increasing the densioty but it is not applicable to Subdivision theology as is directly effect only the scale of the volume you would essentially get the result if you scale the volume to 50% its original size cit Voxel Tri count stays exactly the same but as the volume is smnaller therfore its density in relation to world space is doubled. Same of coaurse goes the other way increse the volumes size and the density is halfed. Currently it has no real application as i see it in Sculpting or making the tools any more usable.

• 5 years later...

I would love for a subdivision levels feature! Right now it's the only thing really keeping me from using 3d coat exclusively. Using the surface mode you can subdivide the mesh in a fashion similar to 3ds Max meshsmooth or Zbrush subdivision, but you cannot step down to a lower polycount or toggle between a higher and a lower subdivision state. This can be an absolutely crucial feature in some workflows and right now I'm having to go through Mudbox of all things to do that. It would also be great if they could somehow create a tool similar to Zremesher but that's more of a far-flung dream atm. 

Anyway, yes PLEASE GIVE US SUBDIVISION LEVELS THAT WE CAN STEP UP OR DOWN FROM!

Also a similar tool is having a reference mesh linked to an editing mesh. Where you can basically "mask" and unmask whatever changes you make to the mesh and by "masking" your changes you go back to how the original mesh looked while keeping your current changes in other parts of the mesh. Mudbox is able to implement this feature and it's actually quite useful. It's similar to erasing certain areas in paint layers, but for 3d models.

Wait, then what does the "clone and decrease resolution 2x" option do if not just that in the voxel tree?

That's not the same. It takes the high-poly and reduces it down. It does not restore it from a preserved low-poly mesh, which is what I think people are getting at here. 

It's a feature in Zbrush and Mudbox and a few others I think and would be an invaluable addition to 3DC. You would have to keep an object in surface mode for it to work, but being able to step up or down different subdivision levels means you can start with a low-poly base mesh and not have to retopologize at the end of your sculpting.