3DCoat Forums

GabeM Sketches

GabeM

Hey! I figured out how to make the brushes work a lot faster. Most of them are working at real time speed now, they keep up no matter how fast I scribble. :clapping:

For windows Vista

Start > Right click on Computer > Properties > Advanced System settings > Performance > check Adjust for Best Performance

That's it, it takes all the pretty stuff away from the system graphics, but it makes 3D coat work a LOT faster.

I wish I'd figured this out sooner <_<, could of had that girl done by now.

• Contributor

Yes it is a definite improvment, but it does come at the cost of OS usabillity, I Think more could be done to 3d Coat itself to boost performance though. Lovely work BTW Gabe. Head feels a little big, but i see its roughing out stage. Lovely crisp Bottom though that is an area thats tricky with voxels. Very nice.

Hopefully the performance can be improved like that, but for now I'll deal with the limitations that setting causes.

It beats sitting there waiting for a brush stroke to show up.

For the bum, I tried sculpting it first like normal, but it wasn't looking right. So I made the muscles on separate layers instead.

much easier

• Contributor
This one took around 2 hours.

post-1851-1250658477_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Gabe! The 'inside the mouth' part is especially impressive. Done any work for dentists? As a tool for character prototyping, one would prefer a relaxed pose of the face (especially from references), but you could do a prototype 'inside the mouth' for later inclusion in your animation app.

I was thinking of making Cyclops with that one, that's why I made the mouth wide open.

I may come back to it, I'm working on the woman right now.

post-1851-1250698443_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it's possible to make a material that looks like a laser beam, have the glow effect in real time.

Here's a little more on the girl's head, I like how the vox follow works between separate layers. Like blending chunks of clay with your thumbs, it's nice.

post-1851-1250704008_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1250704574_thumb.jpg

I got the head done tonight.. I can't go much further with the details in 3DC, I'll have to do that later in ZB.

post-1851-1250761883_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1250761869_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
I got the head done tonight.. I can't go much further with the details in 3DC, I'll have to do that later in ZB.

post-1851-1250761883_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1250761869_thumb.jpg

Hi Gabe,

Porportions of the head now feel much better but The Eyes look way off, in comparison to the nose width, I mean she looks asian so i understand that Bridge is sunk and wider but they just look too far apart. The distance between the eyes is over 3 x the width of the eye and even in asian proportioning that appears a little too much. Try placing the iris in and you'll see im rightthe will be no sclerea present on the inside edge of the eye if you place them correctly and she will appear either Boss eyed or if you place the iris in the middle she will appear to have a stigma with eyes wondering off outward in different directions. If your sculpting by way of photo reference any chance we can see the ref, and i appologise if that is the case but your approach lends itself to unreferenced.

Your body work is imacculate hats Off :clapping: Pelvis looks a little sharp but proportioning is beautiful. I just feel the face lets it down a little.

Hope you dont mind the crit but i notice the same Eye proportion problem on other faces here in your sketch book. so i feel it may be an area you need to look at. (Open mouth man, Eyes will appear to be looking outward when you add the Iris).

Some amazing stuff though Bravo keep it up!!

Just my two pence.

I'm just winging it with loose reference, and I see now the eyes are too far apart. I have a tendency to do that for some reason... <_<

Thanks for the critique and I don't mind, I greatly appreciate it.

I want to finish this model with a costume and all. I may have to continue with Zbrush though, because my trial time is almost over. The pace I'm working at is killing me too. The speed boost I got from messing with the power options on my PC helps a lot, but the program still lags when there's a lot of stuff in the scene.

That would be pretty cool if I could trade some work for it.

I really like this program, but because It takes longer for me to make stuff, and I can't get all the detail I want. I think I'll wait for improvements in future versions, when it's faster and has the multi res work flow to make a purchase.

• Advanced Member
That would be pretty cool if I could trade some work for it.

I really like this program, but because It takes longer for me to make stuff, and I can't get all the detail I want. I think I'll wait for improvements in future versions, when it's faster and has the multi res work flow to make a purchase.

yeah, agree with you, great works Gabe :good:

Got the body retopology made

I don't know why, but I can't export the retopology mesh from 3dcoat directly in to 3ds.max. It says error, invalid vertex index.

What I did was open the .obj in blender, then save out from there and I was able to open it in 3dMax.

post-1851-1252237074_thumb.jpg

Here's how it looks with a normal map, I just did a test render using automatic UV unwrap.

post-1851-1252275740_thumb.jpg