3DCoat Forums

Understanding Voxels - Density and Resolution

lc8b105

• Advanced Member

It seems that many people don't know what's the difference between Resolution and Density in Voxel mode of 3D-Coat. Let me explain:

What's the difference between Density and Resolution ?

Suppose that a Voxel object is combined of 10000 small voxel unit.

1. Change Density will simply change the scale of the object in current space(please note each space/volume has it's own density). It will not change the number of it's voxel unit.

For example decrease Density twice will result in: Object size will twice as big as initial, but the number of it's voxel unit will not be changed, still keep 10000.

2. Change Resolution will change the actual number of it's voxel unit. For example degrade resoluion twice will result in: The number of it's voxel unit will become less, may be only 5000 left or even less.

How can I change Density and Resolution in Voxel?

1. Change Desnsity is quite easy. Just right click on corresponding "Volume" in VoxeTree panel, then choose "Decrease object 2X (increase density)" or "Increase object 2X (decrease density)".

2. You can increase the Resolution of voxel object by click "Inc. res" button in the left tool panel.

In current version(3.00.08), there is no perfect way to decrease resolution, but don't worry, it's on the to-do list.

Right click on "Volume", there is a commond named "Clone and degrade", it acts just like decrease resolution, but will create a new object(Volume) instead.

So what's on earth it is?

In shorty, Density in Voxel just like Scale in polygon world. Resolution in Voxel just like Subdivision in Polygon world. Not exactly, just a comparison.

Below is an example shown as picture:

1. The fisrt picture shows decrease resolution.

2. The second picture shows decrease density.

Hope this helps.

post-445-1250745276_thumb.jpg

post-445-1250745576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
It seems that many people don't know what's the difference between Resolution and Density in Voxel mode of 3D-Coat. Let me explain:

What's the difference between Density and Resolution ?

Suppose that a Voxel object is combined of 10000 small voxel unit.

1. Change Density will simply change the scale of the object in current space(please note each space/volume has it's own density). It will not change the number of it's voxel unit.

For example decrease Density twice will result in: Object size will twice as big as initial, but the number of it's voxel unit will not be changed, still keep 10000.

2. Change Resolution will change the actual number of it's voxel unit. For example degrade resoluion twice will result in: The number of it's voxel unit will become less, may be only 5000 left or even less.

How can I change Density and Resolution in Voxel?

1. Change Desnsity is quite easy. Just right click on corresponding "Volume" in VoxeTree panel, then choose "Decrease object 2X (increase density)" or "Increase object 2X (decrease density)".

2. You can increase the Resolution of voxel object by click "Inc. res" button in the left tool panel.

In current version(3.00.08), there is no perfect way to decrease resolution, but don't worry, it's on the to-do list.

Right click on "Volume", there is a commond named "Clone and degrade", it acts just like decrease resolution, but will create a new object(Volume) instead.

So what's on earth it is?

In shorty, Density in Voxel just like Scale in polygon world. Resolution in Voxel just like Subdivision in Polygon world. Not exactly, just a comparison.

Below is an example shown as picture:

1. The fisrt picture shows decrease resolution.

2. The second picture shows decrease density.

Hope this helps.

Thank's for the great explanations! :clapping:

But what is this all for? I mean which kind of workflow can I achieve with this? Let's say I'm sculpting a head...To raise the amount of detail I have to increase resolution. Why should I go back any level whith the effect of loosing detail?

Rene

• Advanced Member

Great explanation. I now see that increasing and decreasing sub-d levels or "resolution" in the voxel world will not work with voxels as well as with polys as in ZBrush. The only way I see it working is to retop the voxels in 3DCoat and then take to ZBrush. In ZBrush you can then increase/decrease subdivisions better.

• Contributor

Thanks Luo Chen :)

All that I know.

What I dont know and would like to know.

Is : what is the use of increase /decrease space density?

Beside being a shortcut for fast scaling.

I noticed that decreasing space density greatly speed up quadrangulation process.

It is important to know.And it is written nowhere in this forum.

to Andrew:

What are the practical uses of increase /decrease space density?

(offsubject)

Also does position in space can affect quadrangulation results?

(model being too much right or left or far from center of 3d grid ect...)

I say that because sometimes I get completely different quadrangulation results

depending on position of the same model on grid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
In other words "density" is the same thing as scale.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the difference, but it's not useful.

We can already scale things with the transform tool, right?

Yeah I just use the little rez increase button at the bottom of the vox tree whenever I want to add detail. That's all that matters to me.

• Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 4 years later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Understanding Voxels - Density and Resolution