3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 released!

Splash31.jpg

I am glad to announce 3D-Coat 3.1 release.

Very big work over improving painting tools, voxel sculpting, retopology, render was done.

There is brief list of changes in comparison to 3.0:

- New, much improved user manual.

Manual.png

- Linux build available

File0000.png

- Improved masking & material systems. Masks and materials can now be distorted with your pen. Inverting a mask will also now work with voxels. Masks/material distortions can be saved to disk.

File0001.jpg

Painting mode changes:

- Global cavity detection in per-pixel painting implemented. It works correctly with external normalmap too.So, condition "more/less on cavity" will work work correctly with geometrical details, displaced details and external normalmap.

- Hue/saturation/lightness/brightness/contrast/gamma controls for materials

File0002.jpg

- Support of triangular meshes in topological symmetry tool.

- Drag&Drop in layers panel. You can merge, move, delete layers with Drag&Drop.

File0003.jpg

- Jitters behaviour improved - when brush stays it will not jitter at place, just one jitter per movement. It is important to make randomly oriented spots like poses. In older implementation one click was able to produce many spots, it was messy.

- Possibility to smooth with SHIFT over Normalmap layer even over seams.

Voxel sculpting changes:

- Create Volumetric Objects from Images. The Sketch tool, a new voxel sculpting tool, allows you to create a volumetric object based on 2 to 3 images.

File0002.png

- New layer structure for the voxel system. You can reorder and delete layers by drag and drop, increase resolution, rename layers by double clicking, create symmetry across a chosen axis.

- New voxel based Hide implemented. It allows to hide/unhide on per-voxel basis. It is very powerful tool not only for hiding but for hard surface modeling too.

- Create uniform extrusions and protrusions using the new setting “Run brush along curve” with the voxel curve too. This is great for mechanical or armor details where precision matters.

- New voxel surface work flow, by brushing just the surface of a voxel object, the responsiveness is much greater then editing the whole volume of the object. The other benefit is that you are allowed to edit thin volumes with out destroying it. For example, bat wings can be smoothed or sculpted without destroying the thin areas.

File0003.jpg

- You can now import and export voxel data for use in other applications. This will allow interoperability for voxel data with other developers. Also it could be useful to handle medical data.

- Improved baking system. You can bake not only normal maps as before, but now you can bake occlusion and materials from the voxel system to polygons.

- Hide tool on per-voxel basis (works in all modes - with pen, rect, lasso etc, respects masks). A combination of hide/unhide/ delete hidden is well suited for hard surface modeling.

File0003.png

- The voxel Pose tool now respects brushing methods. You can use drag rectangle, lasso and many other selection methods.

- Bend and twist tool to bend and twist objects precisely and accurately.

File0004.png

- Possibility to merge mesh as thin skin

File0004.jpg

- Possibility to merge separate objects in mesh to separate volumes.

- Possibility to rotate/jitter object in local space in On Pen mode in merge tool.

- Sub-objects with _negative in the name will be subtractive (optionally).

File0005.png

- Estimated polycount in merge and sketch tools implemented to get to know how much polygones will appear in scene after merging the object.

- Many new stamps for merge tool

Retopology changes:

- Retopo Layers. Now you can group your retopologized mesh sections together for ease of use, within the retopo tab.

- Possibility to apply symmetry for separate retopo layer.

- Ortho-projection issues in retopo tool had been fixed.

Interface and navigation changes:

- You can now frame the objects in the current scene within the viewport by using Shift -a.

- Improved 3D Connexion space mouse support. You can now lock the rotational axis of the 3D mouse if you choose to.

- Long paths in input fields will be truncated from the beginning, not from the end. In so way file name will be visible better. In case of truncating hint will show full path. Also we implemented RMB menu in that file control to be able to open file or browse containing folder. It is important for render and baking.

- Possibility to save/load hotkeys set separately from options.

- Possibility to create packages on pens for easy redistribution.

File0005.jpg

- "hard to click twice" issue for OSX fixed

- Possibility to collapse left panel items to remain only required tools instead of huge list.

File0006.jpg

Other improvements:

- Improved render system. You can now render any size image.

- Improved STL export from voxels. It is now much more responsive and stable with large meshes. There is now no limitation for polycount upon exporting.

- Possibility to merge in painting and voxel modes not only obj...lwo files but 3B scenes too. If will be possible from File->Merge or from Merge tool in voxels

- Algorithm for Apply UV was improved - if indices of vertices was messed, positions will be used to find correspondence.

- Possibility to swap Y and Z while all import export operations. It is important for Rhino users.

- Countless bugfixes and stability improvements, see full list there:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2876

Download links:

With CUDA, 32 bit

With CUDA, 64 bit

Without CUDA, 32 bit

Without CUDA, 64 bit

OSX Version:

www.3d-coat.com/files/3D-CoatV31-00.dmg

Linux version:

http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-Coat-V3-1-RC.tar.gz

Please post bugreports there:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3546

• Advanced Member

Having a problem here. If I choose the new sketch tool, then click choose but abort the selection, nothing works. It seems to be stuck in sketch tool. Anyone else?

I'm using 64 bit GL Cuda version.

EDIT: Just ignore me, seems ok now I've re-started! :blush:

It's a nice update with lots of little fixes and tweaks! 3.1 really brings 3DC to a very good place. I love the Linux build as it's amazingly quick, the new material/mask distortions are awesome, the new DP fixes are great and all the normal map generation tweaks... Anyway, the list goes on and on.

Thank you Andrew and the Pilgway team for such an amazing and free build! :good:

• Advanced Member

Congrats on v3.1, I hope this generates a lot of fresh interest from the wider community!

Reading the press release reminded me of just how much has been added in the last ~2 months! :good: gredily looking forward to v3.2 already :p

*edit* Just out of curiosity...what was included that increased the installer by 10mb?

The brand new manual by the looks of things :yahoo:

Nice work on this release.

I noticed a typo on the description for the SF.Clay brush. It says Flattern instead of Flatten

Actually, there are many mistakes in that description

It should be more like this.

Flatten surface and extrude using alpha, mask and material. It works very fast because only the surface is changed. Transformation to voxels is performed on the fly without breaking the edit process. You can see transforming progress below the screen.

('END' - Define hotkey.)

• Advanced Member
Congrats on v3.1, I hope this generates a lot of fresh interest from the wider community!

Reading the press release reminded me of just how much has been added in the last ~2 months! :good: gredily looking forward to v3.2 already :p

The brand new manual by the looks of things :yahoo:

Oh thank goodness I'm looking forward to reading the manual actually. There are a lot of things I could brush up on.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, looks like a great upgrade, thanks much for all the hard work.

I did have one question w.r.t. CUDA: Have you looked into producing a CUDA-accelerated Mac version? Or with Snow Leopard and OpenCL around the corner, will that be the Mac-side answer to CUDA (and if so, is there any sort of timetable)?

Thank you for the update. A lot of problems was fixed and many new features and extensions were added.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU for rewriting the manual, that is looking like new. The manual seems to be much cleaner now and gives a better description of all the features. :)

Best wishes

Chris