3DCoat Forums

Snow Leopard

Deadman21

• Advanced Member

Well I will be upgrading to Snow Leopard tonight and i will report back if there is any problems (I hope not).

Questions for Andrew

1. Will you begin working on a 64 bit version for Mac now that Snow Leopard is out

2. Will you implement graphic acceleration in 3d-coat for Mac that is now available through OpenCL and "Grand Central"

I hope so :good:

• Advanced Member
Well all seems fine on Snow Leopard :clapping: No problems as of yet

Can't wait to see a 64 bit openCL version of 3dc. =] This is a great opportunity for andrew to pull ahead of the competition by having the best, most current mac support out of any sculpting tool.

Yeah waiting for that too.

Just take luxrender for example, cross platform, open source, and 64 bits on OSX since a long time.

I know the gui who build it, maybe Andrew could contact him to push 3d Coat to 64 bit.

The problem is that you need 64 bit compiled libs too, so it really depends on which libs are actually used for 3d Coat.

Is everyone really buying it? I was just watching a tech show where they were talking about it and saying unless you absolutely need the new quicktime or have major security concerns then it's not worth the $30. They try not to be biased on this show, but they do talk about a lot of mac stuff. Here's the episode, if you want you can skip to the snow leopard part with the Segment links under the video:

http://revision3.com/tekzilla/snowleopard#rev3Player

Is everyone really buying it? I was just watching a tech show where they were talking about it and saying unless you absolutely need the new quicktime or have major security concerns then it's not worth the $30. They try not to be biased on this show, but they do talk about a lot of mac stuff. Here's the episode, if you want you can skip to the snow leopard part with the Segment links under the video:

http://revision3.com/tekzilla/snowleopard#rev3Player

That guy is pretty clueless, actually. He has very little understanding about how os x works. The kernel and the userland in os x are completely decoupled. They both run side-by-side within the 64-bit address space. Fully 64-bit apps run perfectly on a 32-bit kernel and are not limited to the 32-bit address space. Even on leopard, which runs on a 32-bit mach kernel, the only thing that is limited to 4gigs of address space is the kernel itself. Anything in userland can have as much address space as it wants. Hell, even 32-bit apps on Leopard and Snow Leopard are allotted a full 4 gigs of ram.

Snow Leopard is an impressive operating system. One that breaks all the rules set by Microsoft. When you boot off the 64-bit kernel, you can run 32-bit apps without a wrapper like WOW. When you boot off the 32-bit kernel, you can run 64-bit apps without a hitch. 64-bit apps can use 32-bit plugins. The one caveat is that the 64-bit kernel requires 64-bit kexts. Until all the popular kernel extensions are universal, it makes sense to make the 32-bit kernel the default. power users can set their boot flags to 64-bit, so it's a non issue. Can't find a 64-bit driver for your device? No problem, just boot to the 32-bit kernel. No worries, all your apps will work the same regardless.

By default, my macbook on 10.6 will boot to a kernel (just the kernel) that is limited to just 4 gigs for kernel level IO and management. Oh no!!! There is more than one way to skin a cat. The way that Snow leopard handles the 64-bit transition extremely elegant. That said, is it time to upgrade? Not quite for me.

I think it's cute that anyone with a webcam can have a TV show.

Anyone with a webcam? Revision 3 is a pretty big studio shooting with HD TV cameras and big name sponsors. Not to mention big name guests like Trent Reznor and Sir Richard Branson (owner of Virgin Records / Airlines). Here's a tour of the studio before construction was finished.

http://revision3.com/rev3gazette/studioop

Actually everyone is excited for next weeks episode of Diggnation because Adam Savage of Mythbusters will be on.

Anyone with a webcam? Revision 3 is a pretty big studio shooting with HD TV cameras and big name sponsors. Not to mention big name guests like Trent Reznor and Sir Richard Branson (owner of Virgin Records / Airlines). Here's a tour of the studio before construction was finished.

http://revision3.com/rev3gazette/studioop

Yeah? and fox news is a big studio with HD cameras too.

• Advanced Member
Well I will be upgrading to Snow Leopard tonight and i will report back if there is any problems (I hope not).

Questions for Andrew

1. Will you begin working on a 64 bit version for Mac now that Snow Leopard is out

2. Will you implement graphic acceleration in 3d-coat for Mac that is now available through OpenCL and "Grand Central"

I hope so :good:

I still would like to know the road map for 3d-coat on Mac osX, especially responses to my original questions.

As far as Snow Leopard is concerned I have always been an early adopter of any Apple products and operating systems :rolleyes: One nice thing about Mac OS upgrades is that they almost always improve performance on your system and that is even more apparent with Snow Leopard. The only thing that got effected on my system was I lost the use of my scanner but considering I have had the same scanner for 9 years and the company stopped supporting that scanner in 2001, I think it its time for a new one LOL.