3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member
I agree with this although hopefully with more respect and patience in my tone :rolleyes:

Sorry for my tone... I definitely meant no disrespect to anyone, especially Andrew whom I respect so much...

• Advanced Member

First, huge fan of the program - amazed at the speed of development and the strength of features.

The full-strength first point problem is still there in the linux 64bit tools. i.e. using a wacom to draw a muscle or paint with the airbrush will always make the first point full strength. this really affects the usability of the program.

First, huge fan of the program - amazed at the speed of development and the strength of features.

The full-strength first point problem is still there in the linux 64bit tools. i.e. using a wacom to draw a muscle or paint with the airbrush will always make the first point full strength. this really affects the usability of the program.

Thanks for remindig, I will take a look on this issue soon again.

• Advanced Member
just want to say this isn not only linux64, I have the same with linux32, and somebody reported on mac methinks. Btw the new tools are awesome, and I just read on twitter you added drag-drop support for everyghing, great!

A similar issue happened to me a long time ago and has been solved before V3 was out.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...post&p=7121

I think maybe the reasons are the same: Vertical Sync

You can try turning on V-sync in the nvidia control panel(don't know if it exists in Linux) to see if it's better.

Hope this helps.

akira.

Hi,

I'm very impressed as always by the last beta :)

The paint tools are working better for me, this time I just found 2 small annoying bugs:

1) Symmetry plane doesn't want to be displayed.

2) Copy by using pen work well most of the time, but sometimes some areas doesn't want to be copied. These surfaces are not freezed and I can clone them with Symmetrical copy (But since I can't show the symmetry planes the result is not accurate). Merging layers doesn't seems to have a big effect on this...

I use 3D Coat 3.1.03 without CUDA with Vista 64.

• Advanced Member
A similar issue happened to me a long time ago and has been solved before V3 was out.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...post&p=7121

I think maybe the reasons are the same: Vertical Sync

You can try turning on V-sync in the nvidia control panel(don't know if it exists in Linux) to see if it's better.

Hope this helps.

akira.

Thanks for the hint, but I tried changing the sync setting in my nvidia controls without success. It appears to be specific to linux, I didn't see this problem on my work computer using Vista.

cheers!

Jamie

Senior 3d Artist

Artifex Studios

www.jamiemacd.blogspot.com

• Advanced Member

Hi;

May I squeeze in a little request? As of now, when you draw a rectangular marquee over a volume (or freehand lasso or etc), pressing CTRL chops off the area inside the marquee region. To do just the opposite, you have to go through a few steps more. I think it would be great to give the marquee, lasso, freehand, circle and etc tools the ability to do the both. Like by holding down CTRL and drawing a marquee region you could keep the outside and do away with the inside like the current state. And by holding down say CTRL+SHIFT and drawing a region, you could keep the inside and do away with the outside. Would really improve the voxel workflow IMHO...

Cheers;

AJ

post-1633-1252286633_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

And a shading bug I've noticed; If you scale a voxel volume using the Tranform tool, the shading goes bad and the shape becomes barely readable. Goes back to normal if you "freeze" the voxel layers transforms through the context menu in the layer manager with the command "To Global Space", but you loose all your previous transformations you applied to that layer to correct this.

post-1633-1252288813_thumb.jpg

post-1633-1252288827_thumb.jpg

post-1633-1252288837_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Once the profile of the curve tool is changed to the any of the items inside the Splines menu in the Tool params, it seems that it is not possible to return to the factory default which is the simple cylindrical tube. Maybe an option to reset the spline would do? BTW, how do I go back to the factory default?

OK, found it. Had to reset my preferences, but eventually lost all my other settings though... :(

Edited by jacobo

Once the profile of the curve tool is changed to the any of the items inside the Splines menu in the Tool params, it seems that it is not possible to return to the factory default which is the simple cylindrical tube. Maybe an option to reset the spline would do? BTW, how do I go back to the factory default?

OK, found it. Had to reset my preferences, but eventually lost all my other settings though... :(

Oh, really button "Tube" disappeared. I will renew it in new update (today I hope)

• Advanced Member

Andrew, on your blog you've stated:

"There is some heuristics in determining what is parent and what is child. I suppose the more massive part to be a parent."

Wouldn't the parent-child decision be made based upon order of creation, or am I misunderstanding?

*edit* oops...forgot that we can insert new curve nodes in-between previously created nodes...my bad. :blush:

(but maybe that is the first check -order of creation-, and the second is based upon larger mass of curve branches above

node in question...)

• Advanced Member
Andrew, on your blog you've stated:

"There is some heuristics in determining what is parent and what is child. I suppose the more massive part to be a parent."

Wouldn't the parent-child decision be made based upon order of creation, or am I misunderstanding?

*edit* oops...forgot that we can insert new curve nodes in-between previously created nodes...my bad. :blush:

(but maybe that is the first check -order of creation-, and the second is based upon larger mass of curve branches above

node in question...)

I think the most flexible way is to let us choose(or toggle) which part to be the parent ourselves, a hotkey or a button should work well.

akira.

• Advanced Member

I was working on a character sculpt thru the weekend and came across something with Voxel Layers that really made me sweat. I had to have each tooth in it's separate layer so as not to have it blend in with its neighbors. But then I changed my mind and decided to merge them all. Since currently there is no single way to do this, I had to right click on every tooth layer and give the command to merge them to one. And after that was done, I had to go in and delete the old ones (a total of 48 steps) And with the context menu being so jumpy, it wasn't that easy to do either... So my suggestion would be to get the Voxel Layers to work more like in Photoshop, which could be something like this:

1- Multiple selection of layers for batch editing (like parenting and merging) could be implemented. --> select multiple layers and say "Merge Selected" and/or "Merge to" and/or "Parent to" or maybe even "Subtract from" could subtract the additive volume of all of these layers from a certain volume layer.

2- Drag and Drop support for Layer hierarchy and/or stratification adjustments --> It could be great if one layer could be dragged and dropped onto another for parenting or to change their places in the stack

3- Additional commands --> Like "Subtract from and keep original" (The default deletes it), "Merge to and keep Original" (The default is reset to delete it)

What do you guys think?

Yeah, multiple selection is a nice one for feature request !

And for # 2. You CAN do such things: just drag (child) layer to it's parents' PLUS sign (no the layer's name) [+ will highlights BTW]

Though this option (dragging onto PLUS-sign) doesn't work if you decide to have Root as parent (you'll have to drag child layer onto some other layer)

to make ex-child separate one...

May be I didn't quite understand but changing layers order is quite simple I guess (just drag inbetween upper/lower layer) something like:

dragplace.jpg

• Advanced Member
Yeah, multiple selection is a nice one for feature request!

And for # 2. You CAN do such things: just drag (child) layer to it's parents' PLUS sign (no the layer's name).

Yeah, any method Andrew would find fit to work in the API really, would do just fine... I bet a lot of people have run into this and it really looks quite needed in 3DC...

I agree, those are good ideas. You should make a feature request for them.

Andrew checks out this thread quite often, but nevertheless at the risk of imposing (as always hehee) I'll PM him to make sure he doesn't miss this request...

Cheers;

AJ

• Contributor

Yeah Multiple selection and Hirachial merging have been on my request lists for a while I Posted it several times in the Last month in the buildup to the 3.1 release. Stick it in the feature requests again and you get a +1 here. Needed badly when you have complex scenes with lots of Hirachial holders for multiple children. Its a pain in the butt to merge them all manually.

• Contributor
Hi;

May I squeeze in a little request? As of now, when you draw a rectangular marquee over a volume (or freehand lasso or etc), pressing CTRL chops off the area inside the marquee region. To do just the opposite, you have to go through a few steps more. I think it would be great to give the marquee, lasso, freehand, circle and etc tools the ability to do the both. Like by holding down CTRL and drawing a marquee region you could keep the outside and do away with the inside like the current state. And by holding down say CTRL+SHIFT and drawing a region, you could keep the inside and do away with the outside. Would really improve the voxel workflow IMHO...

Cheers;

AJ

That is a NICE Idea

• Advanced Member
Yeah Multiple selection and Hirachial merging have been on my request lists for a while I Posted it several times in the Last month in the buildup to the 3.1 release. Stick it in the feature requests again and you get a +1 here. Needed badly when you have complex scenes with lots of Hirachial holders for multiple children. Its a pain in the butt to merge them all manually.

Ok, also added to the feature request thread...

cheers

AJ

• Advanced Member

There's a bug with stamp brush and the merge object tool. The object chosen to be merged using a pen is stamped skewed away from the surface normal of the volume it is stamped on (See attachment)

post-1633-1252400358_thumb.jpg

I was working on a character sculpt thru the weekend and came across something with Voxel Layers that really made me sweat. I had to have each tooth in it's separate layer so as not to have it blend in with its neighbors. But then I changed my mind and decided to merge them all. Since currently there is no single way to do this, I had to right click on every tooth layer and give the command to merge them to one. And after that was done, I had to go in and delete the old ones (a total of 48 steps) And with the context menu being so jumpy, it wasn't that easy to do either... So my suggestion would be to get the Voxel Layers to work more like in Photoshop, which could be something like this:

1- Multiple selection of layers for batch editing (like parenting and merging) could be implemented. --> select multiple layers and say "Merge Selected" and/or "Merge to" and/or "Parent to" or maybe even "Subtract from" could subtract the additive volume of all of these layers from a certain volume layer.

2- Drag and Drop support for Layer hierarchy and/or stratification adjustments --> It could be great if one layer could be dragged and dropped onto another for parenting or to change their places in the stack

3- Additional commands --> Like "Subtract from and keep original" (The default deletes it), "Merge to and keep Original" (The default is reset to delete it)

What do you guys think?

1 - will be done some day, but really not so easy because introducing multiple selection will make more complex handling of many existing operations.

2 - Try SHIFT+drag layer

3 - ok, that is not hard - the only prob is growing of RMB menu :)

Hi;

Cheers;

AJ

I have done it. Wait for next build. Btw good feature to sculpt using some sketch to cut off all behind basic shape.