3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

Was just doing some work with planar projections and needed to rotate my voxel mesh a perfect 90 degrees but found no way of doing this. The numerical editor for each axis isn't relative to world coordinates. It would be nice to type in 90 or 180 to rotate the object exactly. Or a nice snap/degree button like in 3dsmax.

Shift allows constraint rotation on 45 degrees.

brush mode in UV tab.... instant crash when selecting brush mode.... OS X.... can be reproduced every time with the default head model.

... odd, but after re-arranging the UI I can use brush mode.... you might not be able to reproduce...

It's working for me here, but I am also on PC. Ignoring this little fact as it could be a mac bug...

Did you by chance install over a previous build or have other builds installed? If so try uninstalling it and re-installing, without installing over a previous build. If it still happens, try uninstalling all other builds and then re-installing the most recent.

Hi Andrew

Glad to see that relaxing operations now make the mesh more "gray" (no tension) and with better results.

Just 2 aspects i think it that would make it on point:

-Itenerations. Most relaxing operations in PLG, UVlayout, MODO... etc. work with itenerations so you dont have to repeat the operation a lot of times. If i press relax now in 3DC it does almost nothing, so i have to press like 20 times or more.

-Relaxing operation now doesn't change the boundary edges of the UV, wether they are Seams or Holes. This results that Seams and Holes can becomes something like an obstacle in the relaxation process, constraining the Relaxation to a boundary that is not the correct one. So it would be nice if the whole mesh would be relaxed and not only the internal one. Still, having the option to constrain the Boundary or Holes is always welcome.

Great Job as always

Cheers

I'm getting weird artifacts when doing quadrangulating for per pixel painting or just for regular painting with the latest build. I uninstalled and reinstalled and the same thing. I just did a quick test with a very simple model. My more complex model was getting much worse artifacts. My other model had about 3.5mil tris, I can attach that if needed as well. Anyone else having this issue?

Using CUDA 64 DX version.

post-2114-1255935049124_thumb.jpg

I'm getting weird artifacts when doing quadrangulating for per pixel painting or just for regular painting with the latest build.

If you hit 4 and look at the wireframe, is the problem that the mesh got a little mangled and is overlapping itself? If so, I don't know know a fix or anything, but I wrote up a work-around to clean it up here:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3546&view=findpost&p=31502 (the edit at the end)

• Contributor

there are pretty major issues with retopo in 3.1.13 - welding points in the middle of valid topology removes polygons completely and creating holes in the model. Please fix

The holes are 'harmless' as they would not remain in any normal workflow (nobody wants a couple of tris in the middle of a smooth area). 3DC works naturally with quads but can create tris if needed. Just continue with your point welding and don't worry about temporary appearence. If, when you are done and there is a hole, use the Points & Faces tool to fill it.

• Advanced Member

well, excuse me, but NO :) this used to work fine, we are using it everyday here. Under no circumstances 3dcoat should delete existing geometry unless i want it to :)

The holes are 'harmless' as they would not remain in any normal workflow (nobody wants a couple of tris in the middle of a smooth area). 3DC works naturally with quads but can create tris if needed. Just continue with your point welding and don't worry about temporary appearence. If, when you are done and there is a hole, use the Points & Faces tool to fill it.

• Contributor

well, excuse me, but NO :) this used to work fine, we are using it everyday here. Under no circumstances 3dcoat should delete existing geometry unless i want it to :)

I would have to agree, Removal of polys is not so good, and requires a quick fix. Works fine in 3.1.12.

there are pretty major issues with retopo in 3.1.13 - welding points in the middle of valid topology removes polygons completely and creating holes in the model. Please fix

Yes, confirmed. I'm sure Andrew will get to it soon. He's been doing many bug fixes lately.

When I import a lightwave file to paint in 31.1.13 it hangs up 3dc.

But the same file can be imported into 3-00-08k just fine.

thanks, :(

macos 10.6

2x3 ghz quad core

8 gb

• Advanced Member

When I import a lightwave file to paint in 31.1.13 it hangs up 3dc.

But the same file can be imported into 3-00-08k just fine.

thanks, :(

macos 10.6

2x3 ghz quad core

8 gb

could you send that lightwave file to Andrew's email for test?

I'd be happy to take a look at the file as well. If you want to send it to me or post it up here. Just PM me if you're interested. I'm also a LW user so I could further investigate the file in LW if needed.

Updated to 3.1.14

Changes:

- Splines in "E" panel got very serious improvement - you can edit them, operate, save, load, transform as you wish, apply multiple times. They can be edit numerically. B-Splines can be used there instead of default splines for all spline or separate points.

- I made support of voxel volumes intersections using CTRL+SHIFT everywhere - while merging model, dragging layers.

- Universal shader was constructed to simplify custructing complex shaders with cavity, bump, environment map, diffuse and specular.

- Newely constructed shaders parameters will be stored properly, all chnged parameters will be stored, not only textures as it was before.

- Problem with lasso on OSX resolved

- Z-Bias in retopo tool will affect not only visibility of back faces but picking faces/edges/vertices. It gives much better control over the scene.

- I have fixed baking & snap problem on voxel objects with deep subtree with partially visible, partially hidden objects (reported by jacobo).

- Fixed collapse edge issue in retopo.

- Smoothing in UV strengthened much.

- Fixed incorrect axial & wrap tools work on transformed volumes.

- Every volume in vox tree will store own center of transform gizmo.

- fixed crash mentioned by cakeller related to reference images panel.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

thanks for fixing collapsing edges in retopo.

"- Z-Bias in retopo tool will affect not only visibility of back faces but picking faces/edges/vertices. It gives much better control over the scene."

This one does not seem like a good idea, now it is difficult to tweak edges with low zbias, can i have the old one back?

post-1079-12563062589469_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Andrew,new complex shader has a little problem,I am not able to overwrite the env_map.

Env_map seems to use the CustomSampler4.dds file.

Well, when choosing a new one it creates a CustomSampler3.dds file and there are no way to overwrite the CustomSampler4.dds unless of doing it manually.

CustomSampler3.dds have no effect in the shader construction.

So CustomSampler4.dds should be CustomSampler3.dds.

Also the envmap in the preview thumbnail never gets updated ,it is always the redball(even if the CustomSampler4.dds has been overwrited with new envmap).

• Contributor

thanks for fixing collapsing edges in retopo.

"- Z-Bias in retopo tool will affect not only visibility of back faces but picking faces/edges/vertices. It gives much better control over the scene."

This one does not seem like a good idea, now it is difficult to tweak edges with low zbias, can i have the old one back?

Why not just increasing the zbias?

Nothing stop you from lowering it after.

I think this new way gives more control and flexibility.

Just my opinion. :)

• Contributor

New B-Splines works great! :good: ...excepted for Add Points mode.

It does not let me add points where I want it.

As soon as I select Add Points mode it instantly add a point beside

the last point I drawn.

EDIT: OK I found out that to add points it is better to be in Edit mode

and not in Add Points mode :blink: ,

Edit mode let you add points everywhere. :)

• Advanced Member

Why not just increasing the zbias?

Nothing stop you from lowering it after.

I think this new way gives more control and flexibility.

Just my opinion. :)

Yeah, this works better for me too... I HAD A TERRIBLE time picking verts on surfaces that fold a lot... and as artman said, it's just a working setting, you can set it back to 0 or whatever.

• Advanced Member

well i guess it's matter of workflow, for me it is critical to see zbias of 0 to judge the low/high poly intersection and still being able to tweak the geo. Again, in my opinion, the software should not stop you from doing something