3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

Slightly more info on Academic license:

- any college or university can get any amount of academic licenses for free if they will teach 3D-Coat. One license should be installed on only one PC. Strict control will be performed - if it will be installed or run on 2 pc-s, this serial number will be banned (or replaced with other if it was just mistake). One license could be installed on college PC or on teacher's laptop or PC.

- any student that is studying 3D-Coat in his college/university can get extended trial for several months if teacher will send us list of students e-mails.

• Reputable Contributor

I passed this info on to the director / founder of my old school so, Andrew, you may be hearing from the DAVE School.

Yeah...there are a number of Art Institutes here in the LA area, and I'll see if I can't contact the Program Directors and mention it. Although some may be adverse to bringing in a perceived "Non-Industry Standard" tool...and let's face it, there aren't any instructors for them to hire to teach it...but, if it's allowed to be installed and let the students use it and learn on their own, it can start to gain a small foothold. Especially if the instructors learn and use it themselves, to incorporate it into their current class projects. If just used for texture painting, it wouldn't take even one class period to go over how to import their models in, texture and detail them and export it all back into Maya or Max.

I bet the guys at DAVE would love to hear this news...as the UI and legacy of the 3DC is so Lightwave-centric.

Has anyone seen my last post, on the previous page?

Or do you guys now all just care about christmas, god and money!? :D

Would be nice if somebody could help me out with that, wanna go on with my work.

Or should I've posted that in the bug/question department? ;)

Edited by cnob

• Advanced Member

Has anyone seen my last post, on the previous page?

Or do you guys now all just care about christmas, god and money!? :D

Would be nice if somebody could help me out with that, wanna go on with my work.

Or should I've posted that in the bug/question department? ;)

I see what you mean. I just tested it and it does say that you have to be in voxel mode to quadrangulate etc.

Which seems to contradict:

Retopo tool, all baking operations, decimation tool, direct export and quadrangulation will support volumes in surface mode.

:nea:

Cnob, It seems that it dosen't work yet. But It works if you build your retopoly manually. Hope Andrew fixes this soon.

How does it work, I've built my retopo manually?

Ok, I found out how it works. Anyway I think there's still a little bug inside. ;)

This is how I did it:

1.Created voxel object.

2.Retopo

3.UV

Voxelobject in surface mode!

4.Quadrangulate for per pixel painting.

Box pops up that asks you, if you want to convert to voxels or stay in surface mode.

-> choose "Cancel"

Box pops up again!

-> choose "remain surface"

The rest works like before.

• Advanced Member

Can somebody verify that 'Quadrangulate and Paint' is broken in 3.1.19.

It seems if you do 'Inc Res' then 'Quadrangulate and Paint' then the poly object ends up corrupt.

To be more precise - the 'Quadrangulate' or 'Inc Res' feature has been modified in some way that it now produces objects that are much bigger than the voxel object. This then causes all the baking features to fail.

If you don't do 'Inc Res' then everything seems fine..

Can somebody verify that 'Quadrangulate and Paint' is broken in 3.1.19.

It seems if you do 'Inc Res' then 'Quadrangulate and Paint' then the poly object ends up corrupt.

To be more precise - the 'Quadrangulate' or 'Inc Res' feature has been modified in some way that it now produces objects that are much bigger than the voxel object. This then causes all the baking features to fail.

If you don't do 'Inc Res' then everything seems fine..

Oh yes, really there are some troubles with tat stuff. It worth to re-upload update.

and why does God get the credit for recovering Andrew's money!?. If I found some money and returned it then I want the owner to thank me, not god!! I found the money, I returned it!!!! grr! :angry:

;)

when GOD orders until the devil obeys !

One license should be installed on only one PC. Strict control will be performed - if it will be installed or run on 2 pc-s, this serial number will be banned (or replaced with other if it was just mistake). One license could be installed on college PC or on teacher's laptop or PC.

A question came up about this. The way I understood it it means that each classroom computer will need it's own serial number. Someone at The DAVE School read it to mean that it can only be installed on one computer.

A question came up about this. The way I understood it it means that each classroom computer will need it's own serial number. Someone at The DAVE School read it to mean that it can only be installed on one computer.

One serial number per computer. Any amount of serial numbers for college/university for teachers and computers in college. For students - temporal extended trial.

Hello,

Do these updates for 3D-coat 3.1 give the possibility to keep the vertex order when importing and exporting .obj objects?

I need this feature to use 3D-Coat to make morphs for Poser and Daz Studio figures.

I know this subject has been raised before, but I can't find the threads anymore... :)

Thank you very much,

Bala

Hello,

Do these updates for 3D-coat 3.1 give the possibility to keep the vertex order when importing and exporting .obj objects?

I need this feature to use 3D-Coat to make morphs for Poser and Daz Studio figures.

I know this subject has been raised before, but I can't find the threads anymore... :)

Thank you very much,

Bala

If you are importing model for per-pixel or microvertex panting then - yes.