3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, they are nice...quick way to block out basic form of a model. Just wish for two additions to them, if possible...ability to set the number of control points, for finer control of the shape before you start the sculpt. For example, like the sphere primitive....having the ability to choose 6x6 or 8x8 would let you quickly shape the head of a model along with some preliminary shaping of the nose, forehead and jaw. It is already a lattice, essentially, so being able to add more lattice points will greatly help.

The 2nd addition I'd eventually like to see is perhaps a "Blend" or "Bridge" so you could block out the head, torso, and limbs with their respective primitives, and have the ability to select two of those objects and apply something that blends them together by averaging the tangency between them...like the Blob Mesh feature in many applications. It may already be there, but I don't yet see it.

• Advanced Member

Primitives :good:

My only issue so far is that the actual control points (green spheres) are too big. In fact I've found that this is an issue with primitives mode in general, all the control gizmos tend to be far too big and prevent you from seeing the underlying primitive.

Hmm, I don't find the points are too large, though it did take me quite a while to get used to 3DC using spheres for everything instead of points like most programs. The only problem I found with these primitives is that the ffRound one disappears as soon as I touch any of the control points. The points stay but the object disappears.

• Advanced Member

Yes, they are nice...quick way to block out basic form of a model. Just wish for two additions to them, if possible...ability to set the number of control points, for finer control of the shape before you start the sculpt. For example, like the sphere primitive....having the ability to choose 6x6 or 8x8 would let you quickly shape the head of a model along with some preliminary shaping of the nose, forehead and jaw. It is already a lattice, essentially, so being able to add more lattice points will greatly help.

The 2nd addition I'd eventually like to see is perhaps a "Blend" or "Bridge" so you could block out the head, torso, and limbs with their respective primitives, and have the ability to select two of those objects and apply something that blends them together by averaging the tangency between them...like the Blob Mesh feature in many applications. It may already be there, but I don't yet see it.

We've gotta be careful not to get too carried away. The whole point of sculpting programs is to speed up sculpting by allowing rapid brush strokes, rather than tediously manipulating hundreds of controls points. :)

I think you'll find that you can create a head from a voxel sphere far quicker with brush strokes as opposed to manipulating points.

But yeah, the blend option is great suggestion. That probably needs to be tied in with the voxel Merge feature.

• Advanced Member

Hmm, I don't find the points are too large, though it did take me quite a while to get used to 3DC using spheres for everything instead of points like most programs. The only problem I found with these primitives is that the ffRound one disappears as soon as I touch any of the control points. The points stay but the object disappears.

It's not so bad when you have around four control points active, but when there's loads active then you can't see anything but points..

I may have come up with a solution though. Transform/scale the object up and manipulate the points then scale it back down before applying..

• Reputable Contributor

We've gotta be careful not to get too carried away. The whole point of sculpting programs is to speed up sculpting by allowing rapid brush strokes, rather than tediously manipulating hundreds of controls points. :)

I think you'll find that you can create a head from a voxel sphere far quicker with brush strokes as opposed to manipulating points.

But yeah, the blend option is great suggestion. That probably needs to be tied in with the voxel Merge feature.

You're taking my request out of context here...right now you have 4x4 control points. Asking for the OPTION...to use a few more WHEN YOU FIND A USE FOR IT...is not asking too much. Again, this is essentially an FFD Lattice. In Maya or Max you have such lattices to help make large sweeping adjustments...and you always have the option to add as many control points as you'd like.

Of course, there is a point of diminishing returns if you start adding too many, but I like options...if that's ok with you.

Amazing new updates. I'm really digging the new primitives especially. :drinks:

I would love it if we could draw our own shape using drag rectangle, or any of the other shape tools in the ePanel, and use that shape as a lattice deformer. Now that would rock too. Maybe that should be part of the pose/move tool? Or it's own tool?

• Contributor

Великолепный апдейт. Спасибо огромное! :)

Polish работает просто потрясающе! Но обязательно нужен альтернативный режим (с ctrl), который делает тоже самое только двигает поверхность не вглубь а навстречу кисти.

Это очень важный момент, с помощью него заделываются углубления, которые постепенно возникают при работе с этим инструментом. Посмотрите как в збраше это сделано, там постоянно переключаешься между этими режимами во время работы и получается как раз требуемый результат. Потом с помощью альтернативного режима можно добавлять основу для выступающих деталей, редактировать форму, оставляя ее при этом твердой, в общем моделировать не переключаясь на другие кисти, это очень удобно.

Примитивы - супер :)

Andrew,

Like with primitives can you do a CAGE DEFORM 2x2/2x3/2x4/3x3/4x4 around the selected volume model? I build a banana or snake or a viking ship model, straight as a line. It's a detailed voxel volume model. I click on CAGE and select how many control points I want - 2x2/.../4x4 - and I can deform my fully detailed model, bend the banana, snake and bend the nose of the viking ship upward with CAGE points.

CURVE deform: display a control curve in 3D-Coat, how many points? Selectable - 2x/3x/4x. Curve is at the "center" of the model: let user do the curve placing. Curve is placed. Click on DEFORM: 3D-Coat detects voxels around the curve in a cylindrical area, detects voxels inside cylinder volume [with the bent control curve as a center 'axis'] based on given radius parameter. Clicking on green control POINTS of the curve with manipulators, transforms voxel volume inside the cylindrical area with a Falloff x%, maybe. (Like a spline-deform)

• Advanced Member

speaking of it, i was thinking for quite some time that basic deformation operations would make sense for surface mode (such as bend,twirl,taper, etc). An FFD deformer would be something similar to that. What do people think about this idea? useful or nonsense?

PS: export curves as obj. is so cool!

• Reputable Contributor

speaking of it, i was thinking for quite some time that basic deformation operations would make sense for surface mode (such as bend,twirl,taper, etc). An FFD deformer would be something similar to that. What do people think about this idea? useful or nonsense?

PS: export curves as obj. is so cool!

Watch the tutorial for the "Wrap" tool...it does those.

• Contributor

Watch the tutorial for the "Wrap" tool...it does those.

Its not currently possible to do precise bending or twisting with it(with unaffected polys like max,maya ect)

.It is really a spatial effect.Its cool but I think what Erklaerbar is talking about is more in the continuity

of the FFD direction.And I would like to see those features in 3DCoat.

To recreate any objects we need those

-Booleans(we got it)

-Lathe(we got it with Axial Symmetry from voxtree)

-Curves Network(Sketch tool can pseudo get you that but its hard get good results)

And Finally FFD,Twist,Bend,Taper operations.

By combining those operations any objects can be recreated without having to go in a modelling package.

• Advanced Member

For those that may not know, remember to select "Normals" for the OBJ export in blender. If you don't, it seems to crash 3DC.

Kind of sad but Lightwave nor Silo seem to support smoothing groups.

edit:

Forgot to mention that this is for creating custom primitives.

post-631-12626230583634_thumb.jpg

post-631-12626230731138_thumb.jpg

post-631-12626230817898_thumb.jpg

Updated to 3.1.22

Changes:

- Rich set of free-form primitives introduced. Examples - cube, cylinder, Besier plane, blob - all controlled by control points or transformed as a whole. Users can easily add own primitives.

- Chisel brush introduced.

- Chisel brush got good counter - action (with CTRL).

- Interface visualization scheme improved. During brush stroke interface processing will not take time. So, brushing speed in all modes (paint and voxels) was improved. It appeals only to Windows build.

- Surface Flatten brush improved - got several parameters: Smoothness, Normals sampling, Don't lift edges. Smoothness allows to control hardness of edges, Normals sampling - variate radius to calculate average normals. Don't lift edges allows to avoid (if need) lifting of edges at the outer boundary of the brush.

- I made possibility to export curves directly from Curve tool as polygonal object to be easily used in other applications.

- Polish - like tool (Chisel) got good counter - action (with CTRL).

- Eraser is using its own selected brush, not the one selected for pen.

- Algorithm for islands padding during texture export improved.

- Problem with dropdown menus under Load/Save buttins in most of paint tools resolved. Thanks to Taros for deep testing all paint issues.

- Load/Save will work correctly in Transform/Copy tool in Paint room.

I am continuing to work over fixing all bugs from "support" section to make 3.2 rock solid.

• Advanced Member

LOVING the new primitives using control points. it does need some improvement e.g being able to select faces/edges mode would make things so much easier to manipulate.

It really did make me thing, however, how very cool it would be if we could have a powerful lightweight modeller like Silo within 3DCoat.. quickly model some more complex primitives and stamp down to voxels.. Here's to hoping in the future. We are so very spoilt already.

I'm not seeing the chisel tool anywhere. I tried both the 64 and 32 Non Cuda versions and I can't seem to find it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Are you in Surface mode? Click the cube next to the layer name on the Vox Tree.