3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Contributor

Oh boy, I loooooooooooove the new Primitives! Especially the Freeform ones. And that slick, simple-to-use freeform deforming cage -- can't we get that also for normal editing of voxel objects? It would make it so easy to *predictably* deform voxel objects.

• Reputable Contributor

Tried that - doesn't make any difference. I went through all options, but still the same. :(

I have the very same thing happen ALL the time...to one degree or another. If I subdivide the mesh more than once before applying, I get a mesh full of holes. I play around with the different options, and the only one that works sometimes is the "cross fingers" option. The Swear option never works, darn it!! :pardon:

• Advanced Member

Oh boy, I loooooooooooove the new Primitives! Especially the Freeform ones. And that slick, simple-to-use freeform deforming cage -- can't we get that also for normal editing of voxel objects? It would make it so easy to *predictably* deform voxel objects.

That would be great to have a user-defined deforming cage for voxel and surface objects, with an option to grab a custom deform cage from the retopo room. :good:

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to bake ambient occlusion from surface mode with perpixel painting?

You can export your model and then switch to retopo and import the exported model back in on top of your original model and then then bake to it (Merge for pixel painting with normal map)

You may get a pop up saying that you must be in voxel mode to bake stuff, but just ignore it and hit 'remain in surface mode'. It still works..

• Advanced Member

I can't find the button for the Chisel Brush to the Voxel>Surface panel.

This is a bug ??? (CUDA version)

Toggle the little cube next to your model's name in the VoxTree. This will switch your voxel model into a regular mesh and display lots of new brushes to use. You can then switch it back to voxel mode later.

Note to all users regarding the new surface tools:

You MUST click on the cube icon INSIDE the VoxTree to activate surface mode. That is where ALL of the surface mode tools are.

BTW, they frikkin rock! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Toggle the little cube next to your model's name in the VoxTree. This will switch your voxel model into a regular mesh and display lots of new brushes to use. You can then switch it back to voxel mode later.

OK, Thanx !!!

• Advanced Member

Wow!

These new primitives have just massively increased productivity.

Creating everything is now sooooo much quicker.

Faces, bodies, arms, legs, car bonnets, spaceships ......

Surely this must be making 3D Coat even more popular in the overall 3D community.

This is by far the best bit of software I have ever bought. I am just glad I got on the ship early to see how well it has progressed.

Fantastic Update Andrew.

How many users do we have now, by the way?

Thank you

• Contributor

Альтернативный режим chisel работает неправильно :( Такое ощущение что там обычный draw который не берет в расчет края. Альтернативный режим не поможет в такой ситуации:

post-1407-12628691290228_thumb.jpg

Это лучше конечно чем ничего, но можно было и draw использовать с тем же успехом.

Polish - like tool (Chisel) counter - action (with CTRL) works wrong :(

• Contributor

Было бы логично у примитивов 3x3x3 в режиме симметрии зафиксировать движение центральной контрольной точки в плоскости симметрии.

It would be right to have primitives 3x3x3 in symmetry mode to fix the movement of the central control point on the symmetry plane.

Note to all users regarding the new surface tools:

You MUST click on the cube icon INSIDE the VoxTree to activate surface mode. That is where ALL of the surface mode tools are.

BTW, they frikkin rock! :yahoo:

Yeah, I just discovered "understand" the surface mode and it is smooth and sweet. If he implements subdivision levels I would be in heaven.

@Philnolan3d - I pressed the w key and it flickered my mesh but didn't show the wireframe. But I saw the video it looked like it worked for you.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I just discovered "understand" the surface mode and it is smooth and sweet. If he implements subdivision levels I would be in heaven.

@Philnolan3d - I pressed the w key and it flickered my mesh but didn't show the wireframe. But I saw the video it looked like it worked for you.

You must hold the w key down.

Beyond version 3.18, I've been experiencing odd artifacts when using cut like operations (holding down Ctrl with the rectangle selection mode) I know you can control the depth, but I can't get a clean cut like I could with previous versions.

I can put this in the bug reports, but thought I'd start here. I've looked for this issue on the forum, but could not find it. I apologize for any duplication.

post-2101-12631806420272_thumb.png

This is something I was complaining about. According to Andrew the "cut all the way through" feature now only works with the Carve and Sphere tools Any other tool will have a limit whether the box is checked or not. I don't like this at all, I think that box should always control the limit on every tool.

Yeah I thought it was a problem too. That method is something I heavily relied on. But, you can also use the Hide tool with drag rectangle to achieve this. So it's still there, but now limited to certain tools.

Which I'm OK with. It also makes more sense now as it is making volume "disappear" and that is a function of the hide tool.

Ah yes I see, the hide tool works correctly, but for most of the other tools the Depth Limit checkbox is useless. I also feel like most users would find this very confusing and would expect every tool to work the same in this respect.

Ah yes I see, the hide tool works correctly, but for most of the other tools the Depth Limit checkbox is useless. I also feel like most users would find this very confusing and would expect every tool to work the same in this respect.

Yeah that is pretty much how I felt. But, I sat on it for a few days and finally decided that its worth the trade off we now have with the depth limit changes. I like having both, it's just a matter of getting used to it, lol.