3DCoat Forums

a HLSL to 3DCoat shader conversion utility. :brush:

artman

• Contributor

a HLSL-to-3DCoat shaders conversion utility. :brush:

also :

-batchworking of shader baking-

(at baking step users would get offered the possibility

to bake to color multiple shaders pass from a list)

+

automation of those actions inside the baking process:

1-Shaderbump+normalmap layer gets substracted from Normalmap"withoutshaderbump" .

2-Result get converted to grayscale.

3-Grayscale results get loaded as depth inside corresponding shader color layer.

Silly ideas for game pipeline B)

• Advanced Member

a HLSL-to-3DCoat shaders conversion utility. :brush:

also :

-batchworking of shader baking-

(at baking step users would get offered the possibility

to bake to color multiple shaders pass from a list)

+

automation of those actions inside the baking process:

1-Shaderbump+normalmap layer gets substracted from Normalmap"withoutshaderbump" .

2-Result get converted to grayscale.

3-Grayscale results get loaded as depth inside corresponding shader color layer.

Silly ideas for game pipeline B)

I was thinking myself that the shader color baking is SOOO good. It would be nice if the shaders were more advanced. I mean totally decked out. In a perfect world you'd be able to make them some how with nodes or something. :brush:

That way you could use textures and things to make a "custom metallic shader". And bake it. And then you'd just have to detail it in paint.

Think of it a custom metallic shader that is programmed to find sharp edges and to automatically place a predefined wear and tear texture there. And if you could program this kind of stuff yourself using nodes or something like that so even if you aren't a programmer you can make your own shaders.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I was thinking myself that the shader color baking is SOOO good. It would be nice if the shaders were more advanced. I mean totally decked out. In a perfect world you'd be able to make them some how with nodes or something. :brush:

That way you could use textures and things to make a "custom metallic shader". And bake it. And then you'd just have to detail it in paint.

Think of it a custom metallic shader that is programmed to find sharp edges and to automatically place a predefined wear and tear texture there. And if you could program this kind of stuff yourself using nodes or something like that so even if you aren't a programmer you can make your own shaders.

yeah, I completely agree. baking shaders into texture layers as a starting point for painting textures is awesome.

I've been trying to make a basic surface library to replace the default shader one, but I can can't find a template shader that will bake diffuse and specular. anybody know if there is one?

• Contributor

I've been trying to make a basic surface library to replace the default shader one, but I can can't find a template shader that will bake diffuse and specular. anybody know if there is one?

Yeah there a one or two I think, the Silvery_Picmat for Example.

its a picmat so diffuse can only be a shaderball not a cubemapped texture

Also specular get baked as one gray value and you cannot load a map so its not usefull at all.

Anybody can fill a specular layer with a gray value. :)

Here is what I do personnaly,maybe it will gives idea to get you what you need:

I do multiple passes using Texture Baking tool in Retopo menu(because it does not send an object to the paintroom each time,you get only the maps.)

The 3 main passes are for tilable textures,I use DirtyStoneBump

(because all more advanced parameters of more complex shaders dont get baked anyway).

I bake spec,depth and color using maps got from this app http://www.pixplant.com/ (insane little app,its Crazybump a 100times better and cheaper too),

I use same scale in shader setting so they all match once imported on model in PaintRoom.

When importing the maps usually I stack them all in the same layer so I can use the Clone brush

and have the feeling of really painting stone or wood.

Anyway to break the tilable aspect of the cubemap baking using Clone brush is inevitable.

Now...about baking shaders that gets you the "shading" of the voxel sculpt.

I use mostly Picmat shaders that I think will make a cool diffuse or Spec base.

Problem is baking is always dark when looking from underneath the model. :(

So to bake those shaders you might want to use Edit Projection in External Editor and project Renders of the voxel sculpt instead.

Its a little more tedious to blend the projections with eraser afterward but you get full control on which shading angle you like most and also you get antialiasing and custom resolution from the render room.

Hope that helps :)

• 2 years later...

yeah... i dont like to be a necroposter...  :blush:

but lately -searching for info to improve my work- i found my questions about 3DC workflow asked for another users before...

a LOT of same questions over and over... but sometimes unresolved...

so i duno which is better...

use the old post to ask about any obscure point ?

or open a new post to ask the same again ?

:unsure:

• Reputable Contributor

yeah... i dont like to be a necroposter...  :blush:

but lately -searching for info to improve my work- i found my questions about 3DC workflow asked for another users before...

a LOT of same questions over and over... but sometimes unresolved...

so i duno which is better...

use the old post to ask about any obscure point ?

or open a new post to ask the same again ?

:unsure:

That's cool, I was just kidding. I keep thinking I'm seeing a new thread, only to see dates like 2009 and 2010. :)