3DCoat Forums

Anatomy study

Guedin

Hi !

Since the first time I used 3DCoat and its voxel technology, I thought it was a great tool to learn anatomy, since we didn't have constraint with topology and anything else than sculpting. Even if it's less precise than ZBrush, we are totally freedom and let us to focus on the study of anatomy.

For now I started with the skull. Then I plan to build muscles and finally skin and fat.

Here's a movie of my sculpt process : Sculpt of the skull

post-1472-12554040801265_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't see how it's less precise.

if he tries to make teeth in that same skull sculpt it would be really difficult/messy...and thats how its less precise, that extra bit of difficulty. If he makes them as seperate objects on the other hand and has a layer for each tooth then its very flexible but alot of work

Oh, hmm... I didn't even try sculpting teeth for my orc model, I made 3 tooth shapes in LightWave and positioned them into the gums. I made one voxel layer for gums and another for all of the teeth. I think the whole teeth process took like 15 minutes, maybe another 3 or 4 to build up the gums around the teeth. Of course when I retopo'd I made the teeth and gums all one mesh (well, one for upper, another for lower)

Hi !

Since the first time I used 3DCoat and its voxel technology, I thought it was a great tool to learn anatomy, since we didn't have constraint with topology and anything else than sculpting. Even if it's less precise than ZBrush, we are totally freedom and let us to focus on the study of anatomy.

For now I started with the skull. Then I plan to build muscles and finally skin and fat.

Here's a movie of my sculpt process : Sculpt of the skull

Really nice study. But what I don't understand is, why are you not using reference images in 3D Coat itself and instead switching between Photoshop end 3D Coat?

Hi !

Actually, I think the major issue of 3DCoat is it move tool which is really destructive and not really precise. I have the feeling it's not working like the one in ZBrush. Maybe I just need more training. Anyway, I'm not saying 3DCoat is useless compared with ZBrush, on contrary the voxel technology give us a lot of freedom.

@Philnolan : Thanks for the video, I didn't know there was already video of anatomy study of the face. It will be usefull.

@Taros : Cause I didn't know I could use references inside 3DCoat ;) Anyway I think it's better to use references beside 3Dcoat than just copy a background inside 3DCoat cause you have to use your memory to build the bones and muscles. But I'm really interesting to know how to add a background in 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

your right the move tool is destructive it often leaves a ring around the area you have moved, I always have to smooth around the edges of the moved area, it doesnt work like zbrush. I think its a surface tool in that it converts the voxels that you choose to move into polys and then when you release your mouse/pen button it converts those polys back to voxels hence the border/destruction it leaves in its wake. We really need a true voxel move tool.

• Advanced Member

your right the move tool is destructive it often leaves a ring around the area you have moved, I always have to smooth around the edges of the moved area, it doesnt work like zbrush. I think its a surface tool in that it converts the voxels that you choose to move into polys and then when you release your mouse/pen button it converts those polys back to voxels hence the border/destruction it leaves in its wake. We really need a true voxel move tool.

Andrew has since fixed it so that fall-off and brush alpha and focal shift are taken into account for the move tool! :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Maybe I don't understand the question. If it's too large, just zoom out or rotate so that you can see the scale boxes.

http://screencast.com/t/AnxIgZdjOJ

Phil, I was refering to "Background" and not to the panel on which you can place an image. The "background" image replaces the gradient and I see no way to adjust it's size..