3DCoat Forums

Depth map problems driving me mad.

I'm not having fun with depth map generation in 3D-coat at all. :(

When I build a low poly retopo over a high-poly mesh and merge into the paint room, the resulting hight map is faceted, and ugly (polygonal). When I follow the manual and use the bake tool, the resulting image is smooth, but it is flat, and lacks any definition. By comparison, topogun produces awesome displacement maps.

When I try and import a depth layer from a displacement map that I just generated using the bake tool, nothing happens. Is there a only a certain format the the import depth operation will support? I can find no helpful info in the user manual.

The only thing that gives me any decent looking results is to merge to paint with normal map (which does look great), but the resulting map can not really be further edited.

Even worse is that when I export all visible layers to a displacement map, there is a bug that generates nearly 100 additional blank layers as soon as I hit ok, and they must all be deleted 1 by 1.... only to end up with a blank map. I'm hating it.

3.1.10 OS X

post-1529-12559843260322_thumb.jpg

Merging VS->DP with displacement only makes confusion, so I will remove it. It is always better to use VS->DP with normalmap and VS->Microverts with displacement.

What version are you using? In one of older versions there was a bug with layers miltiplication.

If it is latest version I will be very thankful if you will send me 3B file (to support@3d-coat.com) where I will be able to reproduce bug with layers multiplication.

When I try and import a depth layer from a displacement map that I just generated using the bake tool, nothing happens. Is there a only a certain format the the import depth operation will support? I can find no helpful info in the user manual.

All formats are supported. Try different multiplication coefficients. Possibly you entered too low value.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! I actually was not doing a voxel sculpt. I was retopo-ing a high-poly model that I had imported as a reference mesh. From the retopo room, I was trying to merge to paint by using merge into scene (per pixel). I guess in the future I should only use the normal map method if I want to merge to the paint room. And the regular merge function should not be used.

Going from 3.1.10 to 3.1.13 OS X to see if the layers bug goes away.