3DCoat Forums

Sand Art

Tony Nemo

Technically there is nothing that makes her really special. "Stunning" is maybe the wrong word.

But from the view of art, her show is quite nice, but nothing that impress me much, personally. One reason is for shure, that I don't understand one word of the russian music. The music must be very important for the show. For me as a non russian speaking person her images don't makes any emotional feeling.

Be creative

Chris

• Advanced Member
Technically there is nothing that makes her really special. "Stunning" is maybe the wrong word.

"nothing really special" except that such mastery owned about a dozen people around the world... ;)

But from the view of art, her show is quite nice, but nothing that impress me much, personally. One reason is for shure, that I don't understand one word of the russian music. The music must be very important for the show. For me as a non russian speaking person her images don't makes any emotional feeling.

theme of this animation is a huge tragedy of the Soviet people during the WWII...

• Advanced Member

I think the way it develops is quite cool. Basically it seems like a animated lino cutting method but using sand to let it move around -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linocut

With the sand over a lighted screen to make it look better. Makes me wonder if they practice the scenes a lot to make sure they don't mess the art up when doing it live. It's definately a good show though and something i had not seen before with quite good art. Thanks for the link :)

Reminds me of my Animation 2 class in college. One assignment was sand animation, so it was like this but much slower of course since we were recording it frame by frame with a camera. Also I wasn't nearly this good of course, I just had an outdoor scene with the sun, the sun went away and some rain came down, then the sun came back and a flower grew up. It was extremely difficult and it was the assignment I disliked the most aside from the meat-mation assignment (don't ask).

Also thanks for explaining the theme, I was also wondering why people were crying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Wow, that was great. Reminds me of watching Rolf Harris paint. Just seeing this rough sketchy lines, and saying what is that, and then like magic it suddenly turns into something you recognise. I like how she works with the randomness of the sand.