3DCoat Forums

Mac user - right mouse button - keyboard replacement?

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

I'm very interested in the potential of 3D-Coat but my immediate initial mac user experience has been thrown somewhat into disarray.

Even though I do have a left/right and scroll mouse, as a mac user my muscle memory usually leads me to use either cntrl or command

as the right mouse alternative.

Is there a way to map the apple command key as the right mouse button?

I was also hoping for some of the same intuitive keyboard navigation shortcuts with zoom and pan as in other 3d applications such as Lightwave.

Can these kind of settings also be remapped?

Many thanks

Just like to add one further observation as somebody trialling 3D Coat for the first time:

Voxels by their nature suggest an intuitive sculpting process - for most of us these days this implies the use of a wacom and not a mouse

and therefore as a user I would have intuitively expected a keyboard approach in tandem with wacom use.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Phil,

The Alt key isn't intuitive enough?
Please go easy on me :-) I've only just been introduced to 3d coat for the first time.

Many thanks lc8b105, this will make things much easier for me now.

One last question....

So can I make the apple command key the replacement for the right click so I don't have to take my hand off my wacom pen?

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh, but it's only one button.

Not sure about the apple key but don't you have a right button on your stylus? All of mine have the tip, the eraser, and a rocker type button that acts as right button and middle button (unless I change them).

I find that it works extremely well with my Wacom tablets. I'm not sure how it could be made to work more in tandem. Most of the time I don't think I even use the keyboard for navigation, just the tablet.

• Advanced Member

Hi The Candy-floss Kid, if you are using a Wacom, then I think you don't need to change right mouse button. I'm using Mac too.

The images below are my Wacom setting:

Thank you lc8b105 and Phil I shall give this a go. My wacom is very basic but it does have the button on the pen.

Hope you get it worked out, it should really be very intuitive after you get the settings set he way you like them. I think all Wacom stylus's (styli?) have the two buttons on there. I know my old Intuos 1 from like 2001 does, as does my Intuos 3 and the small Graphire I keep in my laptop bag.

• 4 years later...

Is there a way to map the apple command key as the right mouse button?

Today, after a few years, there's something new?

I would also prefer to press ctlr or cmd as a replacement for the right mouse button on my mac keyboard. As in Modo. My Wacom stylus has a button. But I'm used to press ctrl or cmd while I click.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys.

So, I've been trying to deal with it as it is, but as I get more into 3D coat I really, really find it disruptive.

I use a Wacom tablet and pen with the buttons turned off.

In the MacOS version, there is no way to access the right-mouse-button-click via the Mac keyboard.

For MacOS, the Windows 'Control' key functionality has been mapped to the 'Command' key as it should be for a Window>Mac conversion, but ALSO, the 'Control' key should be mapped to RMB-click too.

Besides Control key working as RMB-click, it should not mirror the functionality of the Command key. I hope this makes sense. 

Any chance this may be fixed in future MacOS versions?

Any work-arounds?

Thanks in advance!

--Shift Studio.