3DCoat Forums

Copying all layers from one mesh to a similar mesh

Hi all,

I have a mesh derived from the mesh I originally painted with the per pixel painting tools (its a more detailed version of this mesh Capn Stripe. I'd like to bring that into 3dc to paint the new additions to the mesh. It has had parts of the original mesh changed, although the UV maps remain in the same areas. Is it possible to bring the newer mesh in and replace the original, keeping all the painted layers and having one or more new UV maps for new parts (and/or new parts mapped into the spare space of the old UV maps)?

Regards,

Mike

• Advanced Member

Hi Mike, great to see you over here on the 3DC forums!

Yes you should be able to do what you are asking. The solution though is to export your layers as image files and re-import them when you have the new model loaded. Color can be exported as a layered PSD, but spec, depth and normals must be handled individually. I asked Andrew about adding a 'replace base mesh' feature a while ago, to make it easier to sculpt layers that are morph or pose specific, so it should be on his ever-expanding to-do list. Using Per Pixel and the same import settings you used on the original model should give you a good result when you import your layers onto the 2nd model. You may run into some problems with the 'new' additions to the mesh, but the original mapped pieces should be ok. Hope this helps.

Fantastic model, is it for a game?

-Oliver