3DCoat Forums

Bug

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

My first play in 3D Coat with the demo.

I'm supposedly testing it for retopology but somehow got hooked on voxels first and the idea of creating whole scenes within the application.

There's something about it that makes me want to play :-)

Can you add painted backdrops in the render?

How do I color my voxel models?

I know nothing :-)

post-2166-12564432328058_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I'm supposedly testing it for retopology but somehow got hooked on voxels first and the idea of creating whole scenes within the application.

Click the [Camera...] in the upper right corner of the screen, choose the sub-menu "Background" then click the menu-item "Choose Background Image"

unfortunately, the background image stretches to fill the screen (at least it does on XP x64, GL and DX versions... so you have to somehow get the aspect ratio right, which I have no idea if that can even be done.

Also, you're supposed to be able to save out alpha with the image, so you could always composite your render in your fav image editing software later.

good luck, hope this helps.

• Contributor

awe..now he's a cutie ....and really a great 'first play'. yea. i got hooked on the voxels and have had 3DCoat for awhile now, but still haven't used the retopo room.. I will eventually..still just playing with voxels for now, tho.

...I'm still sort of a newbie here, too, but thought I'd leave u a few tips (the more tips, the better I say,lol) .....as for painting voxel models, , u can check out my lil yellow chicken I've inserted here (from my W.I.P.'Wings N Feathered Things' thread), .....I built it in the voxel room, then exported it from there as an obj, (then closed 3DCoat), then reopened 3DCoat and then imported it into the paint room, (imported it as 'model for per pixel painting) n painted it there..(I also took it to the 'sculpt' room to smooth it in between painting it) ....then I took it straight to the render room and rendered it ..you can render it as a jpg, tga,,etc.,,or animation.......in the render room, select ''render frame sequence'' and the options for the animation, turntable will open up, .(the turntable is a short flash type video in which the model spins around).....but after you finish painting it, you can also export your uv maps, etc. from the paint room, then touch them up in an external editor, then import them back in as needed.. ....as for light settings, there are 3 light settings on the far left of the 'camera' option (right above the work screen area) ...'ambient', 'primary' and 'angle'.. ....this is just my understanding, but I've read here in the forums that retopo isn't really neccassary unless you plan on animating your model....

and there are lots of tutorials at the 3DCoat Home site and here in the forum, but also lots of them on youtube...but if you need any more info, there are lots of folks here that will be glad to help.

well hope this helps a little and I'll be looking forward to more of your progress. ttylsmile.gif

I added shader material to the lil dragon in the voxel room using seperate layers for certain parts. to add shaders, just click on any of the 'shaders' on the bottom right of your 3DC screen. to add texture/depth, just choose the brush you want from the 'Pen' box on the top right of your 3DC screen. on my pc, I usually never increase resolution more than once on large objects. you can increase the resolution of your object by going to 'commands' on the left bottom of the 3DC screen n then clicking on 'Inc. res'. Increasing the resolution will smooth the object,,but you may want to increase resolution before you add any major detail, because a large portion of the detail work may be lost after increasing resolution.

post-1992-12539760331295_thumb.jpgpost-1992-12539760653999_thumb.jpgpost-1992-12539765073006_thumb.jpgpost-1992-1253976620742_thumb.jpgpost-1992-12539766485834_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Many thanks cakeller for how to add a background to a render tip as well as the alpha choice - much appreciated indeed.

From having a quick looksee I'm not sure whether the alpha has to be a separate render - it would be nice if there was .psd option

for a single render image file + alpha.

The thought occurred to me it would also be cute if there were ground planes / shadow catcher option that a texture map could be added too as well

as a background option.

3d_sculptress ,

thank you so much for the generosity of your great advice. I can't wait to give all your suggestions/tips a try and see how I get on.

It would be lovely to carry on painting just on voxels or to have voxels sculpt relief and colour at the same time.

Perhaps this is done by adding new shaders as an available palette before starting work?

Much to try - much to experiment with and all fun.

I'm certainly hooked on the possibilities of 3D Coat as creative tool and construction environment that will inspire new designs and new ways of thinking in 3D as well

as investigating it's pragmatic uses as a retopology tool with other applications.