3DCoat Forums

How do you hide ref mesh polygons in retopo?

Mix Mash

• Advanced Member

Hi Paul, do you mean reference mesh?

There are two condition:

1. If your reference contain several sub-object, go to "Windows" - "Popups" - "Sub-Objects" panel to hide/show each parts(sub-object) of the reference mesh. As shown in the picture below:

2. If your reference is one object(only contain one sub-object). I'm afraid you can't hide part of it yet. But you can hide the whole reference mesh.

post-445-1256976562999_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

If you really want to hide/show part of the reference mesh by per faces/polygons, you can import the reference mesh to per pixel painting or Microvertext painting mode and use hide tool in paint room to hide each faces/polygons. Then switch to Retopo mode to retopo.

But this is really not a good suggestion. It's better to use "File" - "Import" -"Reference Mesh" to import the reference mesh.

• Advanced Member

It seems like I will have to cut up my reference object into various parts and import them separately then hide/unhide when necessary.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

Not import each parts separately but import one reference model with several sub-objects.

• Advanced Member

When I import my multilayer Lightwave object as a reference mesh, it comes as one object and I don't know how to make any of the object layers invisible.

Can you please tell me how this is done?

Thanks

I have never used Lightwave before, is one layer in Lightwave equal to one "sub-object" as in other softwares?

Have you opened "Sub-Objects" panel in 3D-Coat?

• Advanced Member

OK, I have just download the trial of Lightwave 9.6 and played it for 10 minutes. I made a simple test and It works.

In Lightwave I just create a primary, then click "Insert Layer" and create another primary, then again click "Insert Layer" to create the third primary, then use "File"-"Save Object".

In 3D-Coat, use "File" - "Import" -"Reference Mesh" to import that LWO file, then open "Windows" - "Popups" - "Sub-Objects" panel, I could see there are now 3 sub-objects.

I've only used Lightwave for 10 minutes I don't know if that's the right way to create a layer in it, and I don't understand what a layer means in Lightwave.

But from the small test above at least it works. It should also works for your multilayer Lightwave object. Are you sure you only see one object of your multilayer Lightwave file in "Sub-Objects" panel of 3D-Coat?

OK, I have just download the trial of Lightwave 9.6 and played it for 10 minutes. I made a simple test and It works.

In Lightwave I just create a primary, then click "Insert Layer" and create another primary, then again click "Insert Layer" to create the third primary, then use "File"-"Save Object".

In 3D-Coat, use "File" - "Import" -"Reference Mesh" to import that LWO file, then open "Windows" - "Popups" - "Sub-Objects" panel, I could see there are now 3 sub-objects.

I've only used Lightwave for 10 minutes I don't know if that's the right way to create a layer in it, and I don't understand what a layer means in Lightwave.

But from the small test above at least it works. It should also works for your multilayer Lightwave object. Are you sure you only see one object of your multilayer Lightwave file in "Sub-Objects" panel of 3D-Coat?

Yes, I found the menu. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Half the time I use 3dcoat I don't know what to look for when I am stuck. Even with a manual, it can be difficult to find the thing you want. That is why tutorials (especially video tutorials) are better when learning a program.

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Paul

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but I found it very helpful as I learn 3D-Coat. I do have a question. I now see how to 'hide' sub-objects but can you make a reference mesh transparent so you can see through it and still snap to it? I found a way to make it transparent but it just gets lighter and still blocks/masks anything inside or behind it. It would be nice instead of completely hiding it to be able to barely see it and still snap to it.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...