3DCoat Forums

and now for something completely different

pif

After drawing cartoons in 2d for years this is great (combined with a few curve classes), object is a bit slow with 2.2 miln poly on nvidia 8800 ultra card, perhaps i should use the cuda version or upgrade my graphic card. Any suggestions welcome.

• Contributor

I've found that the 3DC DX version is faster than the 3DC GL version (on my pc,at least)....you're doing better than I am right now if you can work peacefully with 2.2miln,(even if it's slow at that count) ,but I still need to do some more upgrading.

just my opinion, but I would suggest updating your graphics card if it's older one, tho.

Try using the CUDA version, as your card should support it.

Or, as 3D Sculptress suggested, upgrading your card is a good idea if you've got the time/money/etc.. The better the card (RAM, GPUs, etc) the better voxel sculpting will perform when used in junction with the CUDA version.

You didn't actually say what you're doing in 3DC. We assume you're working with voxels, but it would help to know for sure.

Sorry, forgot to attach my first voxel doodle. Just upgraded my existing card with the cuda software and yes i did forget to install the toolbox with the cuda software, no .dll found but after that everything went much smoother. Than solved the disappearing wacom functionality by switching off tablet support in msconfig (vista 64). Havent tried the dx version yet. And i've been looking at this nvidia 925 which is supposedly noisy and gets very hot. 3DC is very addictive.

post-2194-12572598052039_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

I was wondering if you meant to post a pic,lol....is that an elf or dwarf in the makings ?

...just a tip.. I generally keep a fan going on all 3 of my pc towers, and I prop my internet modem box up on one side (bout a half inch), cause most of the heat builds up in its bottom section,,(don't know why they didn't build them with legs, especially when those little boxes cost bout a hundred n fifty bucks each..go figure)...but anyhows, the GL version kept crashing alot, but haven't had many probs with crashes since I changed to the DX version...

yes, voxels are very addictive.. drinks.gif

True, with all this heat coming off the equipment at least i can keep the central heating down. Perhaps the nvidia 295 will do for the winter. Was thinking about this dwarf when i started out from a sketch i made. Need to overdo it more. I did do some modelling on characters in lightwave but this feels much more intuitive.

post-2194-12572632176735_thumb.jpg