3DCoat Forums

Voxels > displacement map workflow ?

Amber

• Advanced Member

How to do such workflow ?

1.Import low poly,uv mapped object into voxels

2.Sculpt

3.Export displacement map from voxels

I don't want to retopology and quadrangulate because low poly,uv mapped object already exist,I want a displacement map for low poly object so it looks in renders like in it looked sculpted in voxels

so ??

• Advanced Member

Hi Amber, according to your requirement, this will not be a complex workflow. Actually it is very simple, what you need to know is just how to use the "Texture baking tool" in 3D-Coat.

Only two steps:

1. Merge your object to Voxel Room, then sculpt it as you wish, after that, use "File"-"Export"- "Export Scene" to export (this will export a high-poly polygonal mesh).

2. Use "Textures"-"Texture Baking Tool".

That's the workflow you asked. As for how to use each tool, you can find detail info in the PDF manual.

• Advanced Member

Hi Amber, according to your requirement, this will not be a complex workflow. Actually it is very simple, what you need to know is just how to use the "Texture baking tool" in 3D-Coat.

Only two steps:

1. Merge your object to Voxel Room, then sculpt it as you wish, after that, use "File"-"Export"- "Export Scene" to export (this will export a high-poly polygonal mesh).

2. Use "Textures"-"Texture Baking Tool".

That's the workflow you asked. As for how to use each tool, you can find detail info in the PDF manual.

Yhmm could explain a bit more ?I'm confused :( What I'm supposed to do after exporting scene ??

To import into 3DC a low poly or to import a exported from voxels high poly object ? I read about texture baking tool in manual but it doesn't explain how to do it.

• Advanced Member

Yhmm could explain a bit more ?I'm confused :( What I'm supposed to do after exporting scene ??

To import into 3DC a low poly or to import a exported from voxels high poly object ? I read about texture baking tool in manual but it doesn't explain how to do it.

I must admit, I tried the suggestion above, and neither mine, nor lc8strangename's suggestions could I get to work.

I THINK there is maybe a simple step that is missing, because while I THINK I understood, and I was able to get the output, it was hard to tell if it was correct.

Amber, you are right, it would be great if, since we can save the scale and orientation of the merg, if after sculpting, there was simply a quick way to automate performing a texture back from the current voxel ovject back into the low-poly mesh that you imported in the first place...

• Advanced Member

I must admit, I tried the suggestion above, and neither mine, nor lc8strangename's suggestions could I get to work.

I THINK there is maybe a simple step that is missing, because while I THINK I understood, and I was able to get the output, it was hard to tell if it was correct.

Amber, you are right, it would be great if, since we can save the scale and orientation of the merg, if after sculpting, there was simply a quick way to automate performing a texture back from the current voxel ovject back into the low-poly mesh that you imported in the first place...

I tried to export but it's so highpoly when I try to import back 3DC crashes,I tried also import lowpoly and then highpoly using big mesh but doesn't work for me,I used low poly as external mesh doesn't work.

lc8strangename thanks for suggestions but until you or somebody else describe it step by step we won't figure it out I'm afraid.

if you want step by step here i can give you some clues:

1) open your wallet

2) goto kurv studios thing

3) spend a lot of time watching big buck dvd

as i can see here, some know, say it's easy but don't tell for nothing...

sad but true world

sorry i'm not in the mood tonight...

• Advanced Member

if you want step by step here i can give you some clues:

1) open your wallet

2) goto kurv studios thing

3) spend a lot of time watching big buck dvd

as i can see here, some know, say it's easy but don't tell for nothing...

sad but true world

sorry i'm not in the mood tonight...

That reminds me of the Microsoft Technical Support joke...

I don't think it's reasonable for someone to purchase software and then expect to have to purchase an expensive tutorial video just to learn how to do ONE pretty basic task.

It's not clear enough from the manual, or from the interface. And I actually think Amber makes a valid point - this is a pretty basic task, it should be OBVIOUS how to do it, but it's not OBVIOUS... to some of us.

in fact, regardless of the reason Amber want's it, what about the even more important reason you should EASILY be able to do this - uh, duh, if you start from an ALREADY good poly mesh (essentially you already have the topo, no need to re-topo) why do you have to go through all the steps... if you import a poly mesh into the voxel room for sculpting, it would be VERY USEFUL if that low-poly model WAS the re-topo data without having to strongarm the interface.

Perhaps we're doing something wrong here, but... I couldn't easily get it to work - and I'm no dummy... granted I'm also no expert on displacement mapping... theoretically yes, in practice - haven't had so much (professional) use for it as my models end up tooled and made into real things / products etc, vs renderings.

I digressed... sorry, the point is, importing the topology into voxel sculpting, then painting it, sculpting it, or baking a displacement map between the import mesh, and the voxels should be a NO BRAINER - but it's not a no brainer - or somewhere along the line --- I lost my brain?

hah! wink.gif please could someone - yes, for nothing but our gratitude, post a simple explanation - or point us to the exact instructions to perform this most basic of tasks within 3DC. (We're not asking you to find a million dollar lotto ticket, geesh)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I believe its in Andrew's and his company best interest to tutorialize and explain this feature as much as possible(and make it as easy and user friendly as possible).3DC it's not 20$ app it's 235$ app.If new people downloading demo won't know how to do it they will turn to 0$ Blender which will have in 2.5 much upgraded displacement painting abilities and have very,very helpful community or will chose 'proven' Zbrush/Mudbox.

This is a core feature people would like to use voxels for(replacement of Zbrush/Mudbox for painting displacement maps)

@demether if I would charge people every time I gave them good tip I would be a millionaire by now :D

The best approach I've found for doing displacement maps for preexisting models is as follows:

The Texture bake tool has the option to import an external mesh as a target model, but it doesn't appear to work properly. Large displacements result in "black holes" in the displacement map regardless of scan depth(bug?).

However, you can import your external mesh into the retop room, don't snap the mesh to the voxel sculpt, and export for pixel painting to the texture paint room. This will bake a normal map to the model which you can save for long distance shots, but now when you use the texture bake tool with the option to use the current low poly mesh, you should get a good displacement map.

A couple of things to keep in mind are that the scan depth is in pen units so have a glance at the radius of your pen to gauge how far you need to scan. Also make sure you choose the option to maintain vertex positions while smoothing, as that is how the model will look in your external package.

If this doesn't work, be sure to check that the problem is on the 3d coat side of things, as different renderers have different zero levels and a host of options for optimizing displacement rendering.

Hope this helps,

-Heath

• 6 months later...

I too am having a really hard time getting my head around this and would like some help if possible. To re-iterate what I'd like to do is create something from scratch in the voxel room. Sometimes I might have made a very rough base cage in say silo or C4D but I'd bring this in and sculpt to a finished model. Then when I'm happy with the voxel sculpt I'd take it and re-topo to a more manageable mesh. Once the mesh is complete, and I have arranged my UV's in 3D coat I then want to simply output a displacement map. To me this is the difference between the more detailed voxel sculpt and the low poly mesh I have just created.

Here are some images of where I have got to.

This image shows the original voxel sculpt then the retopologised mesh with UV map sorted out.

post-2249-12748559286727_thumb.jpg

This image shows the painting window with the normal map and occlusion render applied to the model. This looks fine. But the inset square image is the displacement map I get from exporting a displacement map in the retopo room. As you can see it is completely unusable but it looks like it's calculating a displacement with bits missing or overlapping.

post-2249-12748559444111_thumb.jpg

I have tried all methods but really I am coming to the point where I am just giving up on this. There has to be a way to save the difference between the lower poly cage and the voxel sculpt without jumping through hoops.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated

all the best

Richard

I think I have worked it out. What I did instead of clicking merge for per pixel painting with normal map, I chose "merge into scene microverts". I then output a displacement map with the settings below. I really don't know if this is the correct way but it seems to work for me.

post-2249-12748586177437_thumb.jpg

I am going to do another test of this workflow and then may do a mini tutorial to explain.

all the best

Richard