3DCoat Forums

Strange issue with spline behavior

Hi. Since yesterday, I've been having weird issues with the spline-based painting tools. I can place the points fine, but when I click on a point to edit its position, it just drifts off to the side on its own. Its almost like a magnet or something is trying to pull all the points together. The control points also seem to lose their hold on the surface of the model when this happens,sitting at odd angles relative to the surface. This happens whether I'm using a mouse or a tablet.

I'm hoping that I just accidentally triggered some new editing mode or something, because the splines are totally unusable like this.

Thanks

***Update***

Nevermind. I figured it out and it had nothing to do with 3D Coat. Turns out my Wacom pen tip had worn down to nothing and that was causing erratic behavior. As soon as I replaced the tip, the problem went away. Odd that only 3D Coat was noticeably reacting to it and even with the mouse, but it does seem to be better now.

• Like 1

Hi. Since yesterday, I've been having weird issues with the spline-based painting tools. I can place the points fine, but when I click on a point to edit its position, it just drifts off to the side on its own. Its almost like a magnet or something is trying to pull all the points together. The control points also seem to lose their hold on the surface of the model when this happens,sitting at odd angles relative to the surface. This happens whether I'm using a mouse or a tablet.

I'm hoping that I just accidentally triggered some new editing mode or something, because the splines are totally unusable like this.

Thanks

Yes, it wos reported to me recently. But I can't reproduce it by some reason... Try to delete file (keep it somewhere if you have lovely hotkeys bindings)

My Documents\3D-CoatV3\Options.xml

Yes, it wos reported to me recently. But I can't reproduce it by some reason... Try to delete file (keep it somewhere if you have lovely hotkeys bindings)

My Documents\3D-CoatV3\Options.xml

Thanks for responding Andrew. I found out what was causing the problem and it was the Wacom pen, not the app. I updated my original post to explain

• Advanced Member

***Update***

Nevermind. I figured it out and it had nothing to do with 3D Coat. Turns out my Wacom pen tip had worn down to nothing and that was causing erratic behavior. As soon as I replaced the tip, the problem went away. Odd that only 3D Coat was noticeably reacting to it and even with the mouse, but it does seem to be better now.

I think that's coincidental because I just replaced the tip of my Wacom pen although it wasn't as worn out as you described yours to be, and nothing changed... And what's more, if the pen was an issue, then I would have been able to drag and manipulate the nodes using my mouse, which I can not. I am simply baffled at the occurrence of such an issue because Andrew says he can't reproduce it. It gives me pain not being able to use this tool as at so many instances I get the need to. Pity...

I think that's coincidental because I just replaced the tip of my Wacom pen although it wasn't as worn out as you described yours to be, and nothing changed... And what's more, if the pen was an issue, then I would have been able to drag and manipulate the nodes using my mouse, which I can not. I am simply baffled at the occurrence of such an issue because Andrew says he can't reproduce it. It gives me pain not being able to use this tool as at so many instances I get the need to. Pity...

Are you having the same problem? Its weird because I was also having the same issue with the mouse as with the pen, even when the pen was in its holder, that's why I didnt suspect the wacom. Have you tried unplugging the tablet altogether? It could be that your pen is broken. I once broke one by pressing too hard on it and shoving the tip in too deep. It still worked but it was very erratic

• Advanced Member

Are you having the same problem? Its weird because I was also having the same issue with the mouse as with the pen, even when the pen was in its holder, that's why I didnt suspect the wacom. Have you tried unplugging the tablet altogether? It could be that your pen is broken. I once broke one by pressing too hard on it and shoving the tip in too deep. It still worked but it was very erratic

The problem is that the Tablet is almost brand new and right after reading this thread I replaced the pen tip and now unplugged and replugged the tablet, unfortunately to no avail... Anyway, I would really have noticed especially in photoshop if there was something wrong cuz I do minute work there almost on a daily basis, but it's working just fine. And the spline thing just goes on happening. Me unhappy :(...

The problem is that the Tablet is almost brand new and right after reading this thread I replaced the pen tip and now unplugged and replugged the tablet, unfortunately to no avail... Anyway, I would really have noticed especially in photoshop if there was something wrong cuz I do minute work there almost on a daily basis, but it's working just fine. And the spline thing just goes on happening. Me unhappy :(...

So, unplugging Wacom has not helped?

Also, please answer on questions from the picture:

http://screencast.com/t/OTVjNzNlMjY

• Advanced Member

YAAY! I've got it :) Right after I read your last post, I looked at my pen settings. And it had nothing to do with my pen or tablet, but this thing only occurred if "Use spacing" was checked. Please see attached video file. But since spacing is valid for the spline tool, this accounts for a bug, no? If you agree, it would be great if this could be addressed in the next point release. Thank you Andrew :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/atrwvy