3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New symmetry already works in paint room as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Shpagin @AndrewShpagin  ·  Jul 1

Tweak room work with symmetry as well. Retopo room remains to be adopted to new symmetry. Most complex one.

• Advanced Member

It's hard to be patient sometimes...I'm already thinking of the things I'll be able to do.  I have an octopus character that I want to sculpt.  I want to try this out and see how it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew Shpagin @AndrewShpagin  ·

Presets and primitives history support new symmetry as well. Symmetry finished in good beta state. Will do build soon.

Bulba_normal.png Andrew Shpagin @AndrewShpagin  ·

New general symmetry works per volume - each volume may have own symmetry. It is kept during transforms.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Started to work over adaptng to physical based rendering pipeline (gloss/metalness). Colored specular/gloss pipeline will be supported too.

Would someone mind explaining in a practical workflow application what this addition will do for us please? I'm not sure I fully understand the terminology and workflow he's suggesting? Thank you!

Would someone mind explaining in a practical workflow application what this addition will do for us please? I'm not sure I fully understand the terminology and workflow he's suggesting? Thank you!

The short version is basically with a PBR supporting engine (almost all modern 3D game engines), what you see in 3DC is what you get in your game engine. It cuts down a lot of time trying to get the dead accurate look between applications. It's a pipeline standardization amongst a number of tools; dDo, Substance, Unreal Engine, Unity, Toolbag, etc..

Gloss/metalness? You mean roughness/metallnes or is gloss/metal something different.

Anyway, this is awesome.

I'm sure that's what he meant. If it's only a typo (and somehow makes it way into 3DC), I'll fix it.

• Like 1

• Contributor

As Javis say, thats the best workflow for games.

But if you dont want to do some stuff for games, you could use it for realy nice production shots.

In short it is a nice tuneup for the Render Room, too.

Edited by Malo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
The short version is basically with a PBR supporting engine (almost all modern 3D game engines), what you see in 3DC is what you get in your game engine. It cuts down a lot of time trying to get the dead accurate look between applications. It's a pipeline standardization amongst a number of tools; dDo, Substance, Unreal Engine, Unity, Toolbag, etc..

I'm sure that's what he meant. If it's only a typo (and somehow makes it way into 3DC), I'll fix it.

As Javis say, thats the best workflow for games.

But if you dont want to do some stuff for games, you could use it for realy nice production shots.

In short it is a nice tuneup for the Render Room, too.

Thanks guys for the info! Since most of what I use 3d-Coat for is video game production, that is absolutely fantastic news to me! Thanks again for the clarification :cheers

• Advanced Member

Aren't there different PBR implementations in each program (although in theory, physically based rendering should be the same everywhere)?  So how practical is it to do PBR in 3DC, and bring that asset over to Unity (which PBR isn't around until the yet to be released v5 right?) or whereever and have it look identical to how it looks in 3DC when you paint/texture it? 

Is it practical? Will there be implementation issues that would be analogous to "cross-browser compatibility hell" for web developers?  Or is this a seamless thing among all apps once implemented?

Edited by popwfx

• Contributor

There are two main categories

Metallness and Roughness maps or Specular and Glossy maps

Each categorie is handled different. You cant work with Specular/Glossy maps in a Metall/Rough application.

The only problem is the BRDF Shader in the app you would use your maps.

It could be the same problem that we have now with Normalmaps. Each App could handle it different.

There is two challenges for andrew

Imaging that andrew start to develop the metalness workflow instead of the reflectance one.

metalness : metallic color are stored on the albedo map

reflectance : metallic color are stored on the specular color map

how to swap those data , maybe directly separate all this and configure the output to fit metalness or reflectance workfow?

the second challenge:

Roughness and Glossiness are not exactly identique

the purpose of the pbr rendring is about the reproduce a material and all the subtleties so when you set your material into ue4 using a roughness map or a glossiness map with cryengine, the the material shoudl have "the same" appearence. but that would not be the case, we can invert the grayscaled map but that would not give the proper rendering into one of the two engine i d mentionned.

Sure this is the artist that will be judge to how the roughmap or the glossmap should be painted.

But that was something important to mention  nor allegorithimic neither than quixel provide a converter, it seems that is more about what the artist consider as aesthetic details.

Malo : UE4 use a post process to handle how the light should affect the final render. but alos ue4 is shipped with th full source code so its easy to learn from the source how they made it.

Edited by fuzzzzzz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

wow.. even in vertex painting :) ...now thats gonna be invaluable help for doing  preliminary texturing/shader tests.

I just hope all channels will be thoroughly implemented across the painting tools (fill tool,textured stencils ect...)