3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

yeah, i suppose the same, but didnt saw a save/load button

so "in theory" this settings could be stored in brush presets too ? *

this will be a incredible and welcome step forward -and time saver, oc- :-)

* any info is welcome

• Contributor

Pleaaase Don't go nodal!!!!! It's a nightmare for artist !  Nodal Allegorithmic subtance designer is an authistic tool!!!!   :(

Keep your layer-based philisophy !! Thank you very much   :)

That's subjective, because I for instance find nodal systems much more intuitive than layer-based (one of the reasons I chose Substance Designer over dDo) and I dream of a node-based Photoshop. But I think you don't have anything to fear, because Andrew has explicitly stated that he won't be doing a node-based PBR system.

Edited by ajz3d

I like nodal, especially if you're needing to do something that's generally complicated using a layer based system. That said, I like layer based systems as well for their simplicity and quick results. Anyway, it is completely subjective like ajz3d said. :) BTW azj3d, check out Filter Forge for PS if you haven't already. It's pretty cool (Nodal PS, more or less).

Anyway, we're swerving off topic a little. It looks like Andrew has had presets in mind with these as well, so it should be pretty easy to start sharing our materials right out of the gate. I'm really glad I changed the name of materials and materials, because we're getting another materials... Which are actually materials! :p:

• Contributor

141493297002.jpg

Several questions to Andrew:
1. I don't see roughness channel in the dialog window. Not yet implemented, or is there some other reason for this?
2. Slightly off-topic, but will we be able to paint real depth while vertex painting over stamps (formerly known as materials)?
3. Will the new PBR system fully support substances (including exposed parameters)?
4. I understand that current target of 3D Coat's new PBR is (more or less) WYSIWYG regarding textures when it comes to real-time GPU engines. Can we hope for a future compatibility with CPU based PBR renderers, like Mantra PBR, mental ray or V-Ray and their default energy conserving materials (mantra surface, mia_material_x, etc.)?

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Anyway, we're swerving off topic a little. It looks like Andrew has had presets in mind with these as well, so it should be pretty easy to start sharing our materials right out of the gate. I'm really glad I changed the name of materials and materials, because we're getting another materials... Which are actually materials! :p:

so no more "stamps"...I think it's really feels like materials now...even if it is just  layered multi-channel projection. Its a totally stand alone painting module itself as complete as like zbrush lightspot....can't be called just stamps.

I half agree with you, because stamps are a part of the new material system in an integral way. But that said stamps are also just a component in the new materials, and are still separate in a number of ways, and can also be used by themselves without the new material system.

• Contributor

and can also be used by themselves without the new material system.

it does not seem possible at the moment to use stamps without creating at least one mtl layer....so I don't see how they can be used "by themselves." Anyway, I tried a very early build so I'll see when complete version comes out...

it does not seem possible at the moment to use stamps without creating at least one mtl layer....so I don't see how they can be used "by themselves." Anyway, I tried a very early build so I'll see when complete version comes out...

Indeed, we'll see how it plays out. :) For the moment how stamps function, is that you can use them to paint with on any layer, not necessarily creating an entirely new layer to paint just for it. When all is complete, yes we'll see how it all functions and revisit in the future the naming convention.

yeah, i suppose the same, but didnt saw a save/load button

so "in theory" this settings could be stored in brush presets too ? *

this will be a incredible and welcome step forward -and time saver, oc- :-)

* any info is welcome

seems like it is, but the question is why stamp tool ?

usually ddo and substance designer use the object tangent normal map to apply physics brush behavior on the model.

so i really don't understand the choice of Andrew to base his work on the stamp tool, to me if you when to aligned or apply dynamic brushes effects like wheather erosion,  you need that object space normal map.

• Contributor

seems like it is, but the question is why stamp tool ?

usually ddo and substance designer use the object tangent normal map to apply physics brush behavior on the model.

so i really don't understand the choice of Andrew to base his work on the stamp tool, to me if you when to aligned or apply dynamic brushes effects like wheather erosion,  you need that object space normal map.

the conditions inside stamp tools takes care of that (cavities,AO,convex.concav ect... ) it also take into account the normal map into cavities condition..like they are already taken into account in current heigh/color limiter conditions in paint room for example.

It does not need object space normal map because it uses the volume itself I guess,from the early build I tried It works better than DDO because it is not hindered by Uv shells placement and Uv seams....it is also why it can work in vertex mode without any uvs. What allow the nice even projection you see in examples is cube-mapping mode...its really powerful mode of projection and its not even avaible in Substance Painter projection tool which provide only the usual oldschool 2d projection plane....very hard to do nice seamless texturing using only a plane.

Its the rest on the implementation that Im worried about (access to metalness map in external editor,import of metalness map,interaction with clip mask...ect..)

Anyway,I guess we'll see soon enough...

Several questions to Andrew:

1. I don't see roughness channel in the dialog window. Not yet implemented, or is there some other reason for this?

2. Slightly off-topic, but will we be able to paint real depth while vertex painting over stamps (formerly known as materials)?

3. Will the new PBR system fully support substances (including exposed parameters)?

4. I understand that current target of 3D Coat's new PBR is (more or less) WYSIWYG regarding textures when it comes to real-time GPU engines. Can we hope for a future compatibility with CPU based PBR renderers, like Mantra PBR, mental ray or V-Ray and their default energy conserving materials (mantra surface, mia_material_x, etc.)?

1. Gloss used instead of roughness. Gloss and Roughness are generally equivalent (1-x) but making materials via gloss is more natural due to modulation of texture mask over gloss leads to more rough surface but modulation of texture over roughness leads to more shiny surface that is less natural for materials. Of course roughness may be exported.

2. Yes, but not right now probably.

3. We are discussing it with Allegoritmic but now paused discussion for 2 months (to look how all goes)

4. If they accept colored specular + gloss + diffuse then yes.

• Like 2

• Contributor

I'm curious, if we already have one of these new material layers, and then paint some more normal map details, will there be a live update for the material, or will it need "re-baked"?

cavities are updated,the material conditions are  "live" but the painting/filling is final...so  if you did a previous fill  or painted the material on a layer you need to delete those and fill/paint again.

• Like 1