3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

I know it's up to Andrew. Never said anything to suggest differently. But it is still a generic tool label, not something that is labeled in unique manner. For example, if they named it "D-Materials" or "Smart D-Materials." Then there is the important matter of "standardization." Most artists like standardization, to help lower the learning curve, and increase familiarity.  If Andrew likes Smart Materials, then there is good reason to keep it, going forward. If Quixel has a problem with it, all they have to do is notify him of their objection, and it would be no major problem changing it.

Says the guy who's not doing the work. :)

Doesn't apply here. You don't have to object to every suggestion I make because you like doing so. Just ignoring the post will suffice.

You might recall I listened to some of your suggestions in the other naming convention thread. So trying to make it seem like I have a vendetta, isn't going to work. Oh sorry, I forgot, you have special rules that only apply to you. It might work after all. My mistake. :)

Anyway, suggest something that actually describes the tool and things will be squared away.

• Advanced Member

OK, so I actually liked smart coated too.

How about "Smart Coating" layers? Does that pass the grammer test? ;)

Smart Materials is good, but I get not wanting to get into some TM legal BS. Some companies are really touchy about that, and if Pilgway came out with it, then got smacked with a warning that made them have to update the manual and interface AND rebrand videos etc. it could be more money lost than is worth taking the chance for.

• Like 1

3DCoat can Smart Coat

With 3DCoat you can Smart Coating

Using 3DCoat, any UVed 3D model could be Smart Coated

For training... sounds good, have sense and give consistence, joining software name and what action app can do. Very clear. +1 :)

• Like 1

No don, you don't understand legal matters, but of course, you take things in a completely differently as they were meant, or as you need to take them to inflame a situation. Watch your step there. You might get another slap on the wrist. :)

• Reputable Contributor

What about Intelli-Coat. 

I kind of like that one, too. Perhaps "Intelligent Materials," "Conditional Materials," or "Condition-based Materials" could be decent alternatives as well, if Andrew is indeed concerned about possible trademarks of a generic name like "Smart Materials."

Another is "Condition-Coated Materials." It could be phrased in the Manual and training materials as "One can use "Condition-Coated Materials to......" Just like one would use '"ed" for "Chocolate COVERED Raisins" using COATED is an adjective....not an adverb. Grammar 101 :)

I think Smart Materials is best, but the potential legal issues supersede that IMHO. If another company decides to do anything about it (same thing that happened with the 3D Brush name), then any documentation, videos, etc., would need to be completely redone. While documentation isn't that bad, re-recording every single video that uses that function, that is officially published by Pilgway would need to be done. While there are not any published yet, imagine in a few months, or a year or more. That can be a lot of videos to rework.

Trainer - and now 3DCoat use Smart Materials...

User - Oh!, Smart Materials as DDO ? great! Are they compatibles right ?

Trainer - Erhhh... well dont, DDO smart materials are not the same as 3DC smart materials.

User - hmmm... ok. Are named the same but are not the same. dDo is a procedural texturing tool, 3DC is procedural too, right ?

Trainer - well... smart materials are not procedural, are smart but not so smart (sure will be in the future)

User - my brain is hurting... Another question. dDo smart materials cant work crossing uv seams, If the UV islands are separated, ddo doesn't try to make it seamless...

Trainer - i got your point. This problem dont happened using 3DC ! the app can cross uv seams

User - gets what ? Same name to something that is not equal? Sorry but later you reached the cast of names. Preferably use their own.

DDO smart materials

@Andrew

How did you handle the "diffusemap" export for metal/rough and spec/glossy workflow.

Both did not use the same colors, there is a difference.

There will be different export options.

Possibly there will be droplist for choosing export approach.

We tried to export diffuse and specular color - and picture in Marmoset is identical to Coat's.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused as to how these "smart materials" will be implemented. Will it be like Shaders in the Sculpt room, with the ability to edit the material, layers in the Paint room, or...?

Edit:

Another question, and how will "SM" interact with Shaders and paint?

Edited by RobertH

• Reputable Contributor

I'm a bit confused as to how these "smart materials" will be implemented. Will it be like Shaders in the Sculpt room, with the ability to edit the material, layers in the Paint room, or...?

I'm curious, too. Hope it's something like this as well...with lots of different preset materials/shaders:

Edit:

I'm almost done working on a video for the current implementation.

If you've ever used dDo, then it functions like that, very similarly, except for one very big difference: You can use any paint tool to apply where the painting happens, without using or the need for color ID maps.

There are not shaders, but they are like shaders only in that you can edit them, by creating as many layers as you need to get the effects you want. For example you could have a very clean looking photograph turned seamless texture of some bricks for your bottom layer, now you want to apply grunge to the bricks, but only very specifically.

For example, if you want some moss applied to the flat areas of the bricks, and some dirt and grime in the space between the bricks. You'll make one layer for the dirt, and use a cavity or AO map to specify where the dirt will be, you can also break this up and randomize it a bit with another image and a noise generator. Now you want to place the noise with another seamless texture of mossy bits on the flat areas by creating a layer atop of the dirt layer. Again by using a cavity or AO, or really even a height or curvature map (AO would probably be best in this case), you can place the moss in just the areas that are flat.

That's just a quick and dirty example, hopefully that explains it a little better. Artman posted something else previous that explained it a bit too that was good. And as he pointed out, you still need to create the seamless textures and all of the accompanying maps (albedo, spec, height, cavity, AO). You at least need albedo and a height map to get anything interesting, I recommend at least those, a spec, cavity and AO to get things in a better place. Once you have all those, you still need to customize the Material to your liking, or use a preset. Which is where I come in, for the moment. I'm creating a number of presets that will ship with the distro build. There are a few metals, but are mostly non-metals for dirtying things up. More effect-like Materials.

And as far as they interact with shaders, they don't at the moment.

Edit:

How about avoiding the "Smart" material idea altogether? Why even stick to English, if it works and sounds good? A few random thoughts:

Material Coat

Matter Coat

Überzug <<<< That one

Genie Farbe

розумний фарба (Rozumnyy Farba), (Ukranian: Smart/Intelligent Paint)

Stratis (Layers) (Latin)

Stratum (Layer)

Those last two Latin ones could be used as "Stratis System", "Stratum System", or something similar. "Stratis Paint", "Stratum Paint", etc..