3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

Or call is kraska =)

edit: i like Materia.

It is Polish? What does it mean? It sounds cool. Dictionary search returns some kind of bird. :)

Überzug :D

Sounds blöd.

Keep it in English.

It have to be very cool to use a different language.

Das ist sehr blöd, aber nicht Englisch. ;) lol

• Contributor

personnally i would let go of the "smart" ....(just my opinion here)

They are not really smart. You need to be the smart one.

You need to prepare/feed good maps ect....

dDo are "smarts" because they adapt to texel density and mesh shape and also generate most scratches/weathering themselves....

In 3DCoat its just cube-mapping.....cube-mapping is not really smart

but it does a better job imo because it does not give a damn about UV seams/shells.

Also what I like much more of 3DCoat than dDo is the instant feedback, no PS scripts runnings... its so much more about your mesh.

dDo needs a objectspace normal map to understand directions and a gradient map too sometimes... 3DCoat in that regard is much better.

I just hope people wont be too disappointed to find out they needs to prepare their maps first,metalness is especially important.. .

it does require some skills or the use of libraries like megascan or apps like pixplant or bitmap2material (50$...really best tool to work along 3DCoat with this new feature (pbr previewing and metalness map generation is essential)

(btw metalness map is easy to prepare if you know how to use keying/magic wand ect..its the easiest,roughness/gloss are little harder to get without 3D previewing or some values chart)

Perlin is cool but I hope Andrew will implement other kind of noises/fractals for masking (there are already quite a bunch in Fill tool) or even maybe eventually implement a tool like bitmap2material that allow extraction of tillable maps from photo/image with synched metalneess/roughness/albedo ect..

Its probably not so hard for Andrew to create;the base funtionality of those tools is always the same.

-Normal map extraction always have something like 3 sliders small/large and medium details ect...

-Albedo always have some sort of light/shadows cancellation sliders, hue/contrast controls ect..

-Roughness/gloss always seem to be somehow derivated from normal map with intensity/spread control..

-Metalness is just keying a color from base image and replacing the operands with white/black values..

All this of course previewed using PBR(or not) on a basic primitive like a cube or a cylinder with IBL cubemaps for lighting.

Making sampled image/photo selections tilable is probably the hardest part .

In that regard Pixplant is vastly superior to bitmap2material its just a shame it does not use physically based previewing.

• Like 1

• Contributor
personnally i would let go of the "smart"

But if you take away "Smart" from "Smart Material" then you are just left with "Material". Then these new materials don't sound special anymore. They still need an adjective or two in front to make them more than just "Materials".

Maybe:

Custom Materials

Custom PBR Materials

Versatile Materials

Adaptive Materials

Multi-Materials

Composite Materials

• Contributor

But if you take away "Smart" from "Smart Material" then you are just left with "Material". Then these new materials don't sound special anymore. They still need an adjective or two in front to make them more than just "Materials".

Maybe:

Custom Materials

Custom PBR Materials

Versatile Materials

Adaptive Materials

Multi-Materials

Composite Materials

Im still very fond of "Coatings"..... ex:Here are 20 new coatings for 3DCoat 's coating tool.

But Custom PBR Materials is very good....Composite materials too...

I dont like Patina much....I dont know why ,probably I just dont like how it sounds....patina,patinas...I just dont like it.
Anyway its not that important...I remember profoundly disliking the word "autopo" and it does not bother me anymore at all...
(probably because I dont use it much anymore too..haha :))

What I mean is once Andrew has made his mind we'll all get used to whatever its gonna be called....

• Like 1

• Contributor

"Coating" sounds strange to me.

In English I usually say "I added another coat of paint to the wall." It sounds strange to say "I added another coating of paint to the wall."

But like you said, I guess we'll get used to whatever Andrew comes up with. I didn't like "autopo" either when it first came out, I always thought it should have been "autoretopo".

But, now I really am used to it. Lol!

• Reputable Contributor

Im still very fond of "Coatings"..... ex:Here are 20 new coatings for 3DCoat 's coating tool.

But Custom PBR Materials is very good....Composite materials too...

I dont like Patina much....I dont know why ,probably I just dont like how it sounds....patina,patinas...I just dont like it.
Anyway its not that important...I remember profoundly disliking the word "autopo" and it does not bother me anymore at all...
(probably because I dont use it much anymore too..haha :))

What I mean is once Andrew has made his mind we'll all get used to whatever its gonna be called....

Same here. You know, I really like "Composite Materials" now that you mention it. Perhaps "Composite PBR Materials" would be the most descriptive of all proposed names?

• Contributor

Composite materials is nice too but less catchy.

Composite PBR Materials: too long, and it implies that there's non pbr composite material (which would be ?).

I still think smart materials are straightforward and not pompous.

But then again: I didn't use the builds. Maybe we'll all get aligned once the first beta build is out and everyone knows what's it about.

Been stalking for awhile here but first post. Great forum and great software. Many thanks to Andrew and team for their hard work.

I also like materia. Might just be the ff7 throw back but I like it.

Been anticipating this for awhile. Im finishing up a model and while Substance Painter is great for quickly getting base materials and dirt/grunge on a model it seems like it needs some maturing to be effective for actual painting - like for human skin.

A few questions - do we have a date on release? I know Andrew has been saying few weeks away some weeks ago. Do we have a solid date?

Secondly I know there was a trello vote to integrate substances. Did that make it on the road map?

I actually didn't planned to get involved into the name discussion. But what about to remain in industry standards as much as possible when looking for the right name?

In my opinion "PBR" must be combined with the new name if possible. It is very important to try to use words that are already established. Especially for people who come from other platforms/tools. Imagine you would use something different for the word "normalmaps"... unimaginable today.

It is something different when you establish a completely new idea. Like the autopo function, that was supported by 3D-Coat as one of the first apps in the industry.

Imagine when you try to explain someone the new PBR functionality in 3D-Coat. It is easier to say just "3D-Coat supports PBR materials." then to say "3D-Coat uses materia for displaying physically based materials. Materia in 3D-Coat are actually regular PBR material representations."

Do you know what I mean?

• Like 1

Smart PBR materials = Coats

Anyway, we still considering, I still don't know what to do with naming...

Substance Designer name the nodes substances... 3DCoat can easily name internally Smart PBR materials as COATS.

explain what COATS are, to share library of COATS to apply to any models... give cohesion to the software and close a CYCLE of development, showing how powerful it becomes.

everything can be in focus and have sense.

More: is a great base -establish a name convention in the community-  to build new changes at future releases.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I actually didn't planned to get involved into the name discussion. But what about to remain in industry standards as much as possible when looking for the right name?

In my opinion "PBR" must be combined with the new name if possible. It is very important to try to use words that are already established. Especially for people who come from other platforms/tools. Imagine you would use something different for the word "normalmaps"... unimaginable today.

It is something different when you establish a completely new idea. Like the autopo function, that was supported by 3D-Coat as one of the first apps in the industry.

Imagine when you try to explain someone the new PBR functionality in 3D-Coat. It is easier to say just "3D-Coat supports PBR materials." then to say "3D-Coat uses materia for displaying physically based materials. Materia in 3D-Coat are actually regular PBR material representations."

Do you know what I mean?

+!. I think Andrew likes "Smart Materials" and plans to stick with it for the time being. Outside of that, I like "PBR Composite Materials" the most.

• Contributor
Please, stop posting stuff like this..

It makes it even more harder for me to wait, until i could test the new Coats it by my self. :D

I know you are joking Malo, but please Carlosan, please keep posting more coats!

I visit the 3D-Coat forums for a few minutes every day (because I love 3D art, and I love this software, and I love this community), and seeing this stuff inspires and motivates me for the rest of my day!

These coats are like "eye-candy" for me!

...I hope Javis shares some images of the coats he is working on too..!