3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

Thanks for sharing, these images look great! A question, after the model is finished, how much effort is required to get these kind of results? Are we talking a few minutes, hours, or...?

Hey Robert!

It's not very time consuming, if you have some materials already set, or at least some seamless textures to pipe in. And even then, depending on what you want to do, seamless textures are not required. It really depends on the situation.

That said, generally speaking, with a few materials already set up, it's a matter of selecting the material, maybe tweaking it a little (or not), and then clicking. Not much more than a few minutes.

If you need to also make the seamless textures, it can take a bit longer, and that really depends on the amount of work required to make the image seamless.

I know you are joking Malo, but please Carlosan, please keep posting more coats!

I visit the 3D-Coat forums for a few minutes every day (because I love 3D art, and I love this software, and I love this community), and seeing this stuff inspires and motivates me for the rest of my day!

These coats are like "eye-candy" for me!

...I hope Javis shares some images of the coats he is working on too..!

Ok, here is one. :)

post-1232-0-58024000-1417427014.jpg

More later today. I've got a good mix of "effects" materials and some that I consider base materials (real world materials).

post-1232-0-58024000-1417427014_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Here's one more with the Stanford Thai Statue scan, with a copper base material, and two copper patina layers. One for the edges and one for flatter surfaces. Also changed the environment map for this.

post-1232-0-31699900-1417428152.jpg

post-1232-0-31699900-1417428152_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Here's a quick screenshot of the ones I've done. I know, hard to see what some of them are. Sorry.

You can tell the base materials from the effects type ones based off the transparent areas of the preview object. EDIT: And the ones with the hard colors. Those materials you can use Color 1 (from the color tile on the top left of the app) to modulate some aspect of the material.

post-1232-0-52743000-1417428492.jpg

post-1232-0-52743000-1417428492_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• Contributor

I just now logged in and saw these new coats. Really cool Javis! Thanks so much! The old copper/patina statue, and the blue one, look really nice! It's hard to tell, but I hope there is some plastic, rubbery, and/or shiny metallic stuff in your pack too.

Looks nice.

What about the green, blue, red, pink and orange materials.

How did they work?

Or for what did you use that?

Hey Malo. :)

Those colors on the sample icon are for when you want to modulate (by multiplying) the color of the material with another chosen color, rather than specifying an image map as diffuse/albedo.

I'll be posting a video, hopefully soon if all goes well, showing this.

Thanks so much Javis! So kind of like shaders that you can tweak?

No problem! And yes, similar to shaders, but with many more options and control. :)

I hope we'll be able to turn off the visability of the BG HDRI, but still light the objects with it. Some of the HDRs can really blow out BG and make it hard to see what you're doing.

Otherwise- awesome sauce! ;)

Yes indeed! +1

I just now logged in and saw these new coats. Really cool Javis! Thanks so much! The old copper/patina statue, and the blue one, look really nice! It's hard to tell, but I hope there is some plastic, rubbery, and/or shiny metallic stuff in your pack too.

Rubber.

post-1232-0-44078300-1417494790_thumb.jp

Wait, am I seeing this right? 3DCoat now has some kind of triplanar projection like in Mari?  :o A texture/tileable procedural texture that can be projected in 3D space to the polygon faces facing towards it?]

That's pretty kick ass.  :D

I know! It's totally crazy... And addicting to use.

• Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Did that mean, it works like a material ID.

So, i could put into the blue color a wood material, into the red a stone material and so on.

Or did you mean it is something like hue, brightness and saturation values?

Hi Malo!

Sorry, it's a little confusing without seeing it in action.

When you set the color of a material to modulate, it will create that look in the icon, and only in the icon. It's just a way to let you visually know that that particular material doesn't have a color locked in, and that you can change it to whatever color you want to use for the material. It doesn't do anything with a Color ID, this system doesn't use Color IDs. You just select your material and paint away without anything like that.

It's kind of like in dDo where you can select a color for a layer, except 3DC has an indicator up front for you, so that you will know what that material is capable of, color wise, before you even apply the material.

• Advanced Member

Can't wait to try this myself! Really, really impressive.

By the way, haven't used Mari in a long time (used it for texturing exclusively), 3D Coat does the job for me just fine. Started ZBrush a couple of times for ZRemesher and auto UVing, but doing all modeling and manual retopology in 3DCoat now.

Thanks Andrew for your great program!

Edited by wilson66

Javis

Do you opened a side by side project in 3DC and Marmoset toolbag ?

- > Dont we need Toolbag anymore ? :huh:

<- confused :wacko:

Example Scenes:

• Like 1

my name proposal...

After my first insight into the new PBR functionality:

I think the best name could be "PBR Sets"

Why?

- The name ist short

- The name is understandable for nearly everyone who comes from the cg industry

- The name is neutral (No copyright problems as I see)

- And the most important for me: It describes exactly what it does. You prepare a set of PBR layers to create a new material.

So f.e. you can say later:

"I have prepared a wooden PBR set for you."

"Could you send me your PBR sets, please?"

"What kind of PBR set did you used?"

a.s.o.

Do I am wrong? What do you think?

• Like 1

//edit

i forgot to ask

what about Smart Materials non-PBR based ?

how pbr-sets apply so ?

remember that now 3DC accept to work in pbr and non-pbr paint modes

There is just one additional parameter - Metallness. It is enough for all effects.
Generally you may export in old style - diffuse + specular color and get same result in non-pbr renders.

//edit

i forgot to ask

what about Smart Materials non-PBR based ?

how pbr-sets apply so ?

remember that now 3DC accept to work in pbr and non-pbr paint modes

hm... surprise me. Actually I don't really like "coat", because it remembers me always of "cloth". "he she it wears a coat..."

But "smart material" would be finally ok for me.

I think the best name could be "PBR Sets"

I like this a lot. Coat-something is not so good. It should be short and easy, then it sounds more pro. Not some fancy-pancy hocus pocus name like Super Duper Layered Coat Shader Pack.

Edit:

And it should be not associated with other meaning, so users are not wondering why its named "coat" or "sock" or "elephant" etc.

Edited by Creator

Or maybe "PBR Materials" unless that is too generic, already taken, etc?  

I talked with Andrew last night, briefly (via email), he decided on PBR Materials. Looks like you two were communicating telepathically. ;)

• Contributor

The rubber material and the leathers look really good Javis!

I was wondering, how will we apply these to our models? Is it click and drag? Or select a material, then paint it on the model, then select a new material and paint it on the model, and so on? Or do we create a mask for each material (to separate it from the others)? Or do we need a separate mesh for each material? I hope the workflow isn't too complicated. And each PBR material may have lots of layers, but are they packed up into the material as a separated group (so they don't mess with other materials) or are all the layers for all the different materials interrelated?

Also, I think "Composite PBR Materials" may be the best name, but it is also a bit too wordy, so I think "PBR Materials" will work fine. It's a good name.

...I was kind of getting used to "Coat" already though. :)