3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Contributor

Thank you Javis for the video.

A few questions, if you allow.

I'm not sure If I already asked this. Will we be able to use PBR materials when vertex painting?

Can HDR sphere be used to light the scene during sculpting?

Will we be able to arrange PBR materials in folders to keep things tidy and organized?

Is SSS also planned for this release or is scheduled for the future?

Nice vid, Javis. But I wish you have used something more complex than sphere to show new shader masking stuff.

Hey Jose!

Thanks, and I hear you. :) I have to approach it for entirely new users, or new users to 3D entirely for some things. That said there is another video coming down the pipe (later today, maybe) for more advanced stuff that shows off the advanced bits much more. I also wanted to do this in parts so people wouldn't have to sit for an hour watching the boring stuff, if all they wanted to do was watch something more advanced, and the same for people just starting out.

So consider that the beginner one, with an advanced one on the way. :)

Thank you very much Javis!! I can not wait to try this new feature!!!

AWESOME!!! Very enthusiastic about the new developments...

Glad to hear, I think you guys like it! I think everyone will, that textures. It's pretty awesome stuff.

Thank you Javis for the video.

A few questions, if you allow.

I'm not sure If I already asked this. Will we be able to use PBR materials when vertex painting?

Can HDR sphere be used to light the scene during sculpting?

Will we be able to arrange PBR materials in folders to keep things tidy and organized?

Is SSS also planned for this release or is scheduled for the future?

Of course. I'll answer as best I can. :)

Vertex painting: Andrew said this will be possible, but in the build I'm using it is not implemented yet. Andrew could better answer when that will happen. EDIT: Looks like it is in already, you need to select a PBR Shader for the sculpt. Thanks artman for the info!

HDR lighting while sculpting: Yes, in fact it is currently overriding the normal lighting for all Rooms, entirely. Using regular lights is not available in the build I'm using.

PBR Folders: Yep! You can see the new organizational tool of the folders for Materials, Alphas, Stencils, etc.. Before you had to go to the dropdown arrow for the panel. Now they are just folders in the panel. It's a lot easier to access your stuff more quickly. I've put in a request for more stuff, like tagging and searching, because I really foresee hundreds, if not thousands, of a PBR Materials being in the common library.

SSS: It is planned. I don't know when it will be implemented. Andrew could better answer this one as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the vid Javis!  Looks awesome.

I didn't realize it was going to be a 4.5 release.  Is it just PBR or is Andrew planning some more stuff?

This is most likely the last big feature for the v4 cycle. :)

• Contributor

Vertex painting: Andrew said this will be possible, but in the build I'm using it is not implemented yet. Andrew could better answer when that will happen.

it works with vertex paitning you just need to select the pbr shader in the voxel shader list :) (depth/normal painting is not available yet but metalness works fine.)

• Like 2

it works with vertex paitning you just need to select the pbr shader in the voxel shader list :) (depth/normal painting is not available yet but metalness works fine.)

Nice! Thanks Christian! I didn't even see that there.

Just tried it. Really cool...

thx Javis for the video

I am still not quiet about the workflow, think i will pass my way.

1. the use of both Metallic and Gloss terms, shorten immeditaly the consistency of the naming convention between reflectance and metalness workflow, from what i had already learn on the topic.

each game engine use a specific workflow, now each 3d painting app is using a specific workflow too.

Things went simple when it was about none pbr workflow at all, and now it had become entirely indigestible from my opinion.

Good luck to new starter guy, that start to learn UE4 unity and many 3d software at same time :x

Now Technically speaking, and for my own work, I do need these color id maps (not especially to handle various types of material on the models i want to render in Ue4), but to create dynamic material within material editor in UE4. I need to apply Erosion, Aging, and weathering effects dynamically with this color map id.

how can i do that with the tools you show in the video ?

Can i export the final uv mask per layer ? so i could simply edit this one in PS and mount the others layers final  uv mask  into a RGBA texture file, so i could load that as masks, ready to use in UE4 to apply aging effects on them.

Edited by fuzzzzzz

Jarvis do you know if it is possible to paint real time masks for the PBR material editor as well as just import them in? One of the nice things about other packages like Substance is that you can paint blends. 

Also can you do layer masks (on the normal paint layers) like Photoshop now / Material ID masks. Just wandering what's the current preferred masking setup for 3D Coat to get all these materials layed out nicely.

Many thanks for your time!

Greg

Edited by GregP

• Contributor

Jarvis do you know if it is possible to paint real time masks for the PBR material editor as well as just import them in? One of the nice things about other packages like Substance is that you can paint blends. 

That's a very good question.

Can masks for PBR materials be painted in real time, with brushes?

What if a PBR material already has a mask already applied from file. Can we still paint on top of that mask to modify it, without modifying the file itself? And then, if we're happy with the result, apply the changes to mask file?

• Contributor

That's a very good question.

Can masks for PBR materials be painted in real time, with brushes?

What if a PBR material already has a mask already applied from file. Can we still paint on top of that mask to modify it, without modifying the file itself? And then, if we're happy with the result, apply the changes to mask file?

Xzibit.png

;)