3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Reputable Contributor

The PBR beta or the stable release for 2015??

I think that is the official release; not the Beta builds. It's kind of like all the beta builds when Auto Retopo was first introduced. It took several builds to polish it before the full release. It think a regular beta build will be forthcoming before the end of the year. I know Andrew wanted to get it out a few weeks ago, but there are probably a number of unforeseen issues encountered, and probably some new functionality added that wasn't previously planned. To be honest...and this is just my own perspective, based on 3D Coat's development over the years...I actually like it when major new features are "cook" for a while. It means more thought is going into it, and it's probably going to be much more extensive than we first thought.

This is why I wanted Andrew to take a while longer on his last attempt to refine Auto-Retopo. Because it was a bit rushed, we got a toolset that isn't very useful half the time, and can waste a lot of time trying to get good results. Sometimes, on some types of Objects, it works great. And at other times, on other objects, it's really bad, no matter what you try. With that in mind, the longer it takes for the PBR stuff to be released, the better I feel about it's usefulness and capabilities in the application.

I've often wished there was a way I could do some specific retopo areas by hand and let auto-retopo fill in the rest. But back on topic I should download that material from the drive for testing. Sadly I'm really busy with a contest project until the 1st and I just realized I need to come up with a whole new scene because one scene ended up being shorter than I thought.

thanks for demo Javis, one tip: zoom in a little when showing textures.

Oh sure that would have been good, but I couldn't. It was impossible. There is a bug in the build I was using to record where the screen flickers while screen recording, making the program useless.

Did what I could under the circumstances. :-)

• Like 1

Construct a PBR Material

Fantastic video Javis! Thank You for taking the time to make it :)

I might have missed it somewhere, but can 3dcoat calculate cavity maps on it's own, or do we have to bring them in from other software? I know that some of the PBR materials calculate the cavity map based on the occlusion, but I haven't seen the specific tool within 3dc. 

Thanks!

-Luke

Hey Luke! I'm glad you found it useful. :)

3DC will generate a cavity map for you if you set the condition to something that needs one. If it doesn't do it right away, if you're editing a PBR Mat, save/close it, change mats, then change back to the same one you were editing seems to work. Seems a bug, but at least there's a workaround.

For occlusion, 3DC can generate that for you as well, but I don't like the way 3DC generate occlusion, it doesn't look good. So when I've needed a real AO map I bake it in Modo and import it from Texture>Import>AO Map. You can also import a cavity map as well. And the cool part is, the image doesn't need to actually be a cavity or AO map, it can be anything really, so you can get some interesting effects going if you try other stuff.

• Like 1

Hey Luke! I'm glad you found it useful. :)

3DC will generate a cavity map for you if you set the condition to something that needs one. If it doesn't do it right away, if you're editing a PBR Mat, save/close it, change mats, then change back to the same one you were editing seems to work. Seems a bug, but at least there's a workaround.

For occlusion, 3DC can generate that for you as well, but I don't like the way 3DC generate occlusion, it doesn't look good. So when I've needed a real AO map I bake it in Modo and import it from Texture>Import>AO Map. You can also import a cavity map as well. And the cool part is, the image doesn't need to actually be a cavity or AO map, it can be anything really, so you can get some interesting effects going if you try other stuff.

It worked! Thanks Very Much  :)

There is definitely a ton of possibilities to this, and I'm glad that this has been included now. Nothing better than a program with a pleasant workflow.

Edited by Rebelismo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Materials  painting Conditions now added to the main color/height limiter in paintroom. :)

(so now they can be used in a paintroom layer based workflow....really usefull for ex : to paint edge wear on separate layers  to go back and tweak seperate elements individually...sometimes such control is needed especialy when there is change in art direction)

also view modes updated to the current pbr channels!!

some more great steps toward 4.5 final build!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It guarantees normalmaps compatibility.

0 replies0 retweets1 favorite

Retweet

Favorite1

More

"Draw on plane" extended on Curves/Text/Snake clay

0 replies1 retweet2 favorites

Retweet1

Favorite2

More

3D-Coat now may import object space normal maps (with auto conversion to tangent space)

0 replies6 retweets6 favorites

Retweet6

Favorite6

More

Hash Animation master <--> 3D-Coat applink beta test - https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46804 

0 replies2 retweets0 favorites

Retweet2

Favorite

More

Extra functionnlaity in objectify - removing small flying noise, unifying small pieces, decomposing to child volumes, sorting by size.

0 replies1 retweet0 favorites

Retweet1

Favorite

More

Seems objectify was super slow. I fixed it in beta6.

• Reputable Contributor

Objectify is not a common English word in the context of 3D... Yeah, I went What? too... :blink:

"Separate Pieces" is very easy to understand. 

There is no need for the word  "Disconnected" as pieces in common English usage implies that already...

We would say something like, I can get rid of all those pieces as they are not needed...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Well I agree .Separete Parts is easy to understand... if this tool is about separete parts for a imported object imported with many parts, ( this is the only way I get import objects modeled wit many parts... just with " import to separete instances " activaded in import menu and "imported without voxelization" too.other way I can´t import , always get boolean errors or crash ) the result is a layers with many childrens, and when I click the menu objectify with the mother layer activated , nothing happens...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...