3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Finished updating render room, now it renders lights derived from panorama correctly.

It is already possible to render out lighting almost identical to what is displayed in the viewport. Sort of. Although it requires a little bit of tweaking and it doesn't allow for using additional lights.

The workaround I'm using:

1. Set primary light intensity to 100.
  2. Set ambient light to 0.
  3. Lightness to 500*.
  4. AO percentage to 25*.
  5. Delete all custom lights.
  6. Black out the remaining light by setting its colour to (0,0,0) and intensity to 0.

* - The relation of AO percentage and lightness seems to be an exponential function. I only looked up some samples that work good.

Few pairs that return almost identical results on the rendered images:

lightness    ao_percentage
  1355            10
   500            25
   262            50
   174            75
   130           100

I mostly use pair 262/50.

The pairs return subtly brighter lighting than the viewport as I like it this way, but you can always darken it to almost perfectly match the viewport by slightly lowering the lightness parameter of each pair.

But this all is tedious, so I'm glad it won't be needed any more. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed longstanding and very complex problem - more visible seams between separate UV sets.

Now there is no difference where seam is - on same or between separate UV sets.

It took week to remake this.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Alright!! and Jamie will love this if it fixes his seam problems as it has been a long standing problem for him across multiple UV sets or UV tiles imported as uv sets on the same model.

Edited by digman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Autoretopo routine got upgrade! Much better quality and stability! Just result of non-sleepy evening ideas + 2 days of work.

I think this is the most excited I've been to test a new build in a long time :) 

.....just hope it works better on thinner and more complex objects....can't wait to try.

I have supported Andrew with an industry model that is just impossible to be autopologized in the current version of 3D-Coat (4.5.03).

His new routine did it just by a click! No guides used, just the default settings! And the result has a very good topoflow. Not perfect yet but not comparable with the first routine too. I guess 99% of the existing models will work very well with the new routine.

I can't show the test results here, because of NDA. But the new routine will be a real milestone for 3D-Coat users I promise.

Stay tuned...

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 4

• Contributor

I have supported Andrew with an industry model that is just impossible to be autopologized in the current version of 3D-Coat (4.5.03).

His new routine did it just by a click! No guides used, just the default settings! And the result has a very good topoflow. Not perfect yet but not comparable with the first routine too. I guess 99% of the existing models will work very well with the new routine.

I can't show the test results here, because of NDA. But the new routine will be a real milestone for 3D-Coat users I promise.

Stay tuned...

Best wishes

Chris

how does it compare with zremesher?

• Like 1

how does it compare with zremesher?

zRemesher is currently the best solution for auto retopologizing I know. But 3D-Coats upcoming autopo update comes closer.

So to answer your question clear: zRemesher performs better quality.

AUTOPO is really the missing link and the prime feature which will raise 3D-Coat above the rest of the competition.  I do remember the Siggraph where Andrew introduced this feature - and though we had the tiniest of booths at the show - the crowds were overflowing and blocking the other booths - just to see the video of AUTOPO at work.  At that time - it was revolutionary - and the crowds of professionals interested really confirmed that this was the target to aim at.

A truly useful version of AUTOPO - the one that can resurface any object with accurate and economical topology will give every studio and every Indie a very good reason to climb onboard.  When you couple this one feature with the other powerful and streamlined features of 3D-Coat, most recently the PBR workflow - 3D-Coat is a winner all around.

Greg Smith

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

AUTOPO is really the missing link and the prime feature which will raise 3D-Coat above the rest of the competition.  I do remember the Siggraph where Andrew introduced this feature - and though we had the tiniest of booths at the show - the crowds were overflowing and blocking the other booths - just to see the video of AUTOPO at work.  At that time - it was revolutionary - and the crowds of professionals interested really confirmed that this was the target to aim at.

A truly useful version of AUTOPO - the one that can resurface any object with accurate and economical topology will give every studio and every Indie a very good reason to climb onboard.  When you couple this one feature with the other powerful and streamlined features of 3D-Coat, most recently the PBR workflow - 3D-Coat is a winner all around.

Greg Smith

Absolutely true!

zRemesher is currently the best solution for auto retopologizing I know. But 3D-Coats upcoming autopo update comes closer.

So to answer your question clear: zRemesher performs better quality.

I haven't used zbrush in a while so correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I recalled that zremesher will only work on models created in zbrush, not on imported models, say a 3D scan for example. Correct?

I haven't used zbrush in a while so correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I recalled that zremesher will only work on models created in zbrush, not on imported models, say a 3D scan for example. Correct?

zBrush tools work with all models that can be imported there, like obj files f.e.

So if you export your model from 3d-coat to one of the supported file formats you can do what you want.

In our case the workflow was:

- We corrected a scanned model in 3dc

- Exported it to obj

- Imported into zbrush and used zRemesher

- We put the zRm model back to 3dc for setting uvs and texture baking process there. We make scan and texture corrections in 3dcoat.