3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Reputable Contributor

zRemesher is currently the best solution for auto retopologizing I know. But 3D-Coats upcoming autopo update comes closer.

So to answer your question clear: zRemesher performs better quality.

I think it only needs to be pretty close. It's been too hit and miss, in my experience thus far. But if it's close to Z-Remesher, with the new improvements, that's still a big achievement. I believe they put Dr. Peters on that for over a year or more. Andrew only spent a little over a month or so.

I think it only needs to be pretty close. It's been too hit and miss, in my experience thus far. But if it's close to Z-Remesher, with the new improvements, that's still a big achievement. I believe they put Dr. Peters on that for over a year or more. Andrew only spent a little over a month or so.

Well a month or so on the latest update, much of the auto-retopo work was already done. Unless he rebuilt it from scratch that is.

Well a month or so on the latest update, much of the auto-retopo work was already done. Unless he rebuilt it from scratch that is.

Andrew has invested some days for the overwork currently. It was because the old version had problems with hollow voxel models. But it retopos them now without bigger issues. The overall work at the autopo is a month or two, that is true. But that is not the point.

Let us see what the upcoming development will bring... :)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

We all know that 3D Coat was the first to come out with Auto Retopo. Then later on, ZBrush came out with theirs, but it wasn't any better than what 3DC could do. But Dr. Peters was brought on board, and over a year later, they came out with the vastly improved version. Andrew answered back with about a month of work. The point being, they invested a good deal more time into it's development than Andrew did. So, just getting Auto-Retopo very close to ZRemesher level would be an accomplishment, IMHO.

• Like 1

We all know that 3D Coat was the first to come out with Auto Retopo. Then later on, ZBrush came out with theirs, but it wasn't any better than what 3DC could do. But Dr. Peters was brought on board, and over a year later, they came out with the vastly improved version. Andrew answered back with about a month of work. The point being, they invested a good deal more time into it's development than Andrew did. So, just getting Auto-Retopo very close to ZRemesher level would be an accomplishment, IMHO.

Definitely.

Andrew has a lot of tasks as we all know. So we need a bit patience. But I am shure in the end it will work fine.

:-)

At current state Crease Angle is not following the model edgeflow.

changing values from 40 to 400 is not making any difference to the final edgeflow autoretopo

will be great if Crease Angle could be able to analyze the curvature -vertex ratio- of the model.

And talking about zremesher... 3DC adaptive-size equivalent need a refinement upgrade too.

Adaptive size defines a vertex ratio based on the curvature of the mesh.

To maintain the original mesh shape, ZR may need to increase the topology density in cer­tain areas or produce triangles rather than quad polygons.

• Reputable Contributor

I think Andrews developments combined with what Raul is doing could be pretty powerful.

Yeah....I think Raul's Close holes tool means a LOT more than what it appears to. Because a lot of times, Auto Retopo gives a pretty good result on most of the model. But, there are always trouble spots. So, the user....instead of re-attempting Auto-Retopo, could just delete the ploygons in the trouble area > run the Close Holes tool > Skadoosh! :D

• Like 2

• Contributor

I really need it as i have 2 projects working entirely on 3dc.

When can we have this new autopo upgrade?

(Not pushing , just asking)

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

The graphic point to the exported location under Help Menu

post-10142-0-28452700-1436618236_thumb.j

How did we do this?

Under the hood, here’s how it works: the 3D-Coat Sketchfab exporter creates an archive that contains an OBJ/MTL file and the required textures. The texture filenames follow a syntax that defines the name of the associated material and the mapping type:

export3dcoat_MATERIALNAME_MAPTYPE.tga

We use this information to plug the textures maps into the right channels, switch on our PBR rendering mode and even select the correct PBR workflow.

3D-Coat is the first application to get this level of PBR support. The team is very excited to work together with them and to see the stream of beautiful models coming in from their community.

Enjoy!

- Bart

tumblr_inline_navmidzYA61rh8rjh.jpg

• Contributor

Andrew Shpagin ‏@AndrewShpagin 3h3 hours ago

Very fast OpenCL based AO calculation routine comes in tomorrow's update 4.5.07!

Awesome!!! I just hope its the new raytraced AO he was talking about being developed some time ago...and not just a speed up of current AO method (although a speed up is always cool) Anyway...Im excited :) !!!

• Contributor

I just hope its the new raytraced AO he was talking about being developed some time ago...and not just a speed up of current AO method (although a speed up is always cool) (...)

I hope so too.

Great news! :)

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Awesome!!! I just hope its the new raytraced AO he was talking about being developed some time ago...and not just a speed up of current AO method (although a speed up is always cool) Anyway...Im excited :) !!!

I don't think it is. It probably would have been mentioned in the description if it was now raytraced, rather than the old-school light array.

• Contributor

I don't think it is. It probably would have been mentioned in the description if it was now raytraced, rather than the old-school light array.

You are right. It's the same old algorithm. :( It works considerably faster now though - the difference in speed is HUGE. But because it's not raytraced, I will have to keep baking my AO maps in either Houdini or xNormal.

Edited by ajz3d

Yes. It is much faster, but unfortunately the same pure quality level in details. I still must use other tools.

What I mean: Gaps became bright. This is a no go in Ambient Occlusion calculation.

By the way: Additionally seam problems appear after ao baking in the current version 4.5.07.

EDIT: I guess I like the new ambient occlusion calculation anyway... It's sooo freaking fast.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...