3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Contributor

I hope that Andrew implements a parallel version of "Surfacing" tools in the Sculpt Room, so that any work that is done in one is mirrored in the other. Multi-Res in both would be great.

Yes that would be a good solid decision! his improvements in the surface tools working on an organised mesh is something that i would like very much. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

from twitter " AndrewShpagin: In Retopo->select tool Relax will act only on vertices selected in Retopo->Select->Verices."

NICE, now we can selectively RELAX in the retopo room... I'm psyched to test out a new (OSX)build with all the new additions Andrew is adding so quickly lately. Thanks Andrew!

Hey all,

just FYI, nothing crazy going on with Andrew or the next build. It will be a straight build with a few new features, including the Ptex changes, 2Dgrid, voxel baking, and numerous bug fixes. Definitely nothing in the range of multi-res abilities in the next build. Ptex is simply a massive undertaking and taking more time then we are used to Andrew taking to get a build out.

So... Simply put, no chess, no craziness, no multi-res (for now). Just want to make sure we all keep our expectations in check. :pardon:

Haha. :)

Just making sure we're all good, you know? I've seen some crazy stuff happen in regards to similar situations. Especially on the NT forums. It just goes downhill so quickly over there I feel like I should try to intervene preemptively, lol.

Nevermind me, carry on! :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Geothefaust: I agree, after the main/original team that developed Lightwave left NT(to develop a great certain other app ;-), I saw the forums go very "sour" quite often, still do in fact IMO. It was a good thing for me though, helped give me the push to try out new apps like 3D Coat and Blender, as I learned about those types of apps on the NT forums. ;-) I now use 3DC and Blender more often that ZB/LW/etc..

3DC rocks, I enjoy it big time. I'm glad that I can share my thoughts on 3DC, yet still request features and offer critiques from a user perspective. I most appreciate apps that offer uncensored forums with regard to user input on the app. IMO it keeps the devs up on what the user experiences and thoughts.

It will help eliminate the need to have to retopologize from scratch...and instead, only some Retopo-tweaking would be required. So, I'm very happy to hear about the fixes to snapping.

Well that's assuming you're starting from a premade base model and you're changes are not too far out there. Maybe I'm wrong, I assumed most of us start sculpting in 3DC. Still great news though. :)

• Advanced Member

Maybe I'm wrong, I assumed most of us start sculpting in 3DC. Still great news though. :)

More often than not, Just as in ZB, I usually bring in a low res mesh from whatever poly based modeling app I choose to use. Only about 50% of the time do I start a sculpt in 3DC, both workflows offer their own benefits IMO.

• Advanced Member

from Andrew's twitter:

"AndrewShpagin: One more interface bug fixed - current subpage in docked windows sometimes switches to the first subpage."

I've run into this issue many times, VERY glad Andrew got it worked out, thanks Andrew!!! :-)

• Contributor

Well Yes lets hope others jump on the band wagon pretty soon. I Hear little rumblings of maybe something from the lightwave (Yes, Im moving to Lightwave) community but nothing concreate.

Anyhows Im very pleased Andrew went back and re-addressed Ptex in a way that is usable on lower res meshes, In my opinion this makes the technology much more viable for any case, be it animation or Subd modelling.

Exporting to a highres mesh for pTex before, left me feeling a little like I'd accidently hit the AUVtiles button in ZBrush and commited everything to late.

Im also V' pleased to hear that we will see increased perfomance. Good implementation Andrew. Ptex implementation like this is a V' positive step forward :clapping: And once we see how great an improvement it can be I'm convinced others will take it on.

Though, and im sure we all realise this, Ptex should never be the sole texturing method for any 3d painting application. The reusabilty of standard convetionaly UV mapped 3D objects will still be around for many years I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I (and webmaster) made useful feature for 3d-coat experience exchange-quick making of screenshots from 3dc shell and hosting on our server.

In so way it will be possible to post screenshots with text very quickly. It was relatively easy to do on my side.

Webmaster had much more work to make it possible.

This sounds interesting. I wonder if the idea is more for bug reporting or for posting images of your work like for a gallery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer
I am trying to solve global problem that appears in workflow import extrnal normalmap -> modify -> export. Now it produces more visible seams then it should be.

It is a real problem for game studios that use this workflow. It is really not easy...

to solve the problem. So please be patient, I can't avoid this milestone..

Don't worry Andrew. Take your time. It's very important to fix this, so if it takes this week or even this month to do it

it will be well used time.

• Contributor

Don't worry Andrew. Take your time. It's very important to fix this, so if it takes this week or even this month to do it

it will be well used time.

Definetely.This has to be topnotch as 3DC is one of the only few apps that can do this. :brush:

Its one of the reasons I bought license.Its a very valuable feature for game studios.

So yeah really...take your time.

I suspect problem is related to algorithm implemented for limit subdivision surface in 3.2.03.

Just an intuition...(probably wrong) :)

• Advanced Member

Yeah, glad to hear he solved it. I know a great many folks in the game world will be ecstatic about this. :)

Hang on, wait a minute, WOT?

Let me get this right. You import a normal map created in another app > use the bump tools to fix edit seams without having to touch the existing normal map > export and the Tangent space Normal map seams are fixed?

If so this is wow. Bring it on, it will indeed make a lot of game artists VERY happy .:)

• Advanced Member

Hang on, wait a minute, WOT?

Let me get this right. You import a normal map created in another app > use the bump tools to fix edit seams without having to touch the existing normal map > export and the Tangent space Normal map seams are fixed?

If so this is wow. Bring it on, it will indeed make a lot of game artists VERY happy .:)

Smoothing out seams would be EPIC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
You may assign several actions to the same hotkeys combination. Actions will be performed in consecutive order after each next activation.

Andrew, does the activation count reset after a moment? If I hit 'A' twice for 'tool2', paint, then hit 'A' again, will it go to 'tool3' or reset to 'tool1'?

Its probably the same in lightwave when you press spacebar to toggle point,edge,poly or so I hope that's what it does.

Yes, it is very much like this.

I had the idea some weeks ago when I was working in 3DC. I felt it would be very good to assign a number of frequently used tools to one hotkey so I could cycle through them as needed. Instead of moving my hand across the keyboard, every second counts when working. :)

Anyway, I passed it along to Andrew with an in depth description with the way it should work. Now it looks like we have it available to us, but just on a greater scale than available in LW, since we can assign it to ANY tool.

Imagine, one hotkey for all your most used retopo tools. Another for voxel tools... Yet another for painting tools.

Or for instance, the toggle hotkey for display modes, side, top, front, etc.. If you're working on a laptop there is obviously no numerical input. So this will come in handy there.

Or another example, in the UV tab for the UV preview window, you can toggle between modes now with a hotkey MUCH more quickly than you could by clicking between modes.

I am certain people will find it very useful, and help improve there work flow and speed. :)

EDIT: One more example...

You could hotkey a number of the E-Panel tools to one hotkey, for example all of the pen pressure modes. Another for all the curve/line modes. Another for the shape modes.

Cool no?

One thing about doing this in LightWave is that the cursor changes to reflect what mode you're in. So you don't have to take your eyes off of the cursor while you switch. I'll be curious to see how this feels.

True.

If it feels funky, maybe we can ask Andrew to implement a visual representation of what tool/mode/function you have just activated with a small popup that fades away quickly, or something to that effect.

Of course, we'll all know very soon. :)