3DCoat Forums
Taros

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

I think it would help, but to be honest (and that's only because of my workflow): I don't really care about those now. I would prefer to have centralized access if I want to, but at this point I only use presets, and only vary brush size and depth. The rest I never touch...

But if I put myself in an objective "new user" perspective: the params are too scattered. My mockup actually centralized 4 UI "panels": topbar (at the time, it changed), stroke options, tool options and a bit of e panel.

And again, just a mockup, at the time the idea was to offer choice not make them mandatory: the sections could be "tear off" enabled/collapsables, and the subsections (little lines with arrow) collapsed to keep more space.

It was about centralization, space efficiency, and customization/choice.

Carlos, it's relative to Javis' request to put the PBR controls in the Tool Options or Brush Options panel....to keep from cluttering the UI up further. This has been a long-standing request, with lots of Yay votes. For some reason, Artman and Phil are trying to shoot down the idea. Thus the discussion. But it does relate to "what Andrew is doing."

Trying to shoot down ?!... I haven't replied or posted anything relative to Javis' request to put the PBR controls in the Tool Options or Brush Options panel....So please Don, don't make me a part of your little war here.You guys can do whatever you want with the Ui ,Im confident I'll find my way around...anyway,this has nothing to do with Andrew's twitter feed.

Trying to shoot down ?!... I haven't replied or posted anything relative to Javis' request to put the PBR controls in the Tool Options or Brush Options panel....So please Don, don't make me a part of your little war here.You guys can do whatever you want with the Ui ,Im confident I'll find my way around...anyway,this has nothing to do with Andrew's twitter feed.

Yes...you opposed my requests to move the toolbar to the Tool Options Panel, in another thread, previously. You made the same claim Phil did....that it would force you to display yet another panel. Again, Beat and I spent a good deal of our own free time to create the mockups so Andrew and others here, would have a better idea what it would look like. Just because you might not find it helpful, it doesn't mean the vast majority of users wouldn't.

Don't go all rage AbnRanger,  I also remember Artman saying he wasn't bothered by one way or another (which he said again here). I honestly can't say he was adamantly against it there (and certainly wasn't earlier, he just underlined a few issues which are valid).

There's a slight difference in bringing doubts to a proposition and saying "no it's not good, I don't want it" when we're talking options :)

Don't go all rage AbnRanger,  I also remember Artman saying he wasn't bothered by one way or another (which he said again here). I honestly can't say he was adamantly against it there.

Well, even before I ever made the mockups, there were a number of people requesting roughly the same thing. So, I know it's not just you, me and Javis

Other example of material in upcoming 3D-Coat with PBR support.

B0yXWWsCcAA7HyR.jpg

Painted wood or cardboard with edge wear.

I'm wondering how that work though. I mean this obviously detect angle to apply wear or there's masking involved. Meaning substances are already in ? Or masks are ?

Painted wood or cardboard with edge wear.

I'm wondering how that work though. I mean this obviously detect angle to apply wear or there's masking involved. Meaning substances are already in ? Or masks are ?

I'm not sure yet - I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm hoping some kind of masking system in 3DC, personally. Something similar to dDo, but in 3DC, would be excellent.

It are not substances, it are conditional multilayered materials that detect cavity (and other conditions - like AO will be supported probably too).

Complex materials organised as set of layers with conditions. It is less powerful that node editor (in general) but more understandable for artists and generally same quality may be reached as using nodes.

Substances may appear as well, we started discussion about that.

• Like 3

Pretty cool. I'm liking the sound of that. Nothing wrong with an easy to use interface with good features, I think dDo is a great example of that.

Do these parameters have a way to be adjusted via a numerical input/slider? Can they be effected with a clip mask or similar?

If you can detect cavity then you may use it to make brushes constrain (with a treshold) to "planes" ? That would be very usefull for edge based planerizing brushes (for those who know: mah brushes like edger are super usefull for hard surface stuff in zbrush, and those are based on angle detection).

I don't know about refraction but I thought about transparency the other day and Andrew needs to address this issue. It's completely broken under certain conditions ,shadows don't work properly in the current render room for instance, sometimes even in the paint room,  and sometimes the z-order is completely wrong.

I remember rendering a semi-transparent glass geo of my alien creature from one of the challenges, and at certain camera angles the geometry behind that glass (modified lamblight shader IIRC) had a tendency to disappear. Not sure if it was the lamblight shader's issue or Render Room's in general. There's also a matter of visualising transparency and cut-outs correctly in the Paint Room, which AFAIK is not possible at the moment. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edited by ajz3d

This is great news I am glad I came here to see what is up. I was looking at Substance Painter but I don't see a need for it now since I saw this thread, keep up the good work Andrew. :)

some more from Andrew on TW

More one-click filled materials :

141447823690.jpg

141447799605.jpg

Dirt support via AO condition :

B1X9rMOIAAAQUcH.jpg

full size

Edited by fuzzzzzz
  • Like 3

the AA look really good, not sure where this has been rendered, from render room or is only real time, but it seem that andrew already anwsered here :

@AndrewShpagin

it are not screen/render effects - it are real textures.