3DCoat Forums
Taros

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

post-10142-0-32092600-1414874657_thumb.g

Map that stores the convexity/concavity of the mesh.

Also called Concave, Convexity, Pits & Peaks, Worn Edge

could be created now ?

Andrew I just hope you can add those conditions to the height/color limiter conditions so we can use them not only to paint using materials(now called stamps) it would be very useful to paint clip masks ect....

• Like 2

Andrew I just hope you can add those conditions to the height/color limiter conditions so we can use them not only to paint using materials(now called stamps) it would be very useful to paint clip masks ect....

Exactly what I was thinking. :) You could do some really cool dDo-like stuff real quickly.

• Like 1

I like the the cavity icons (should be added in top menu), I like the customization amount. I hate the layer stack in a modal dialog.

Can it be associated  to the current layer system  with a dedicated panel to show the settings each time we select a layer ?

Right now it seems extremely confusing/without cohesion with the systems already in place, not even talking about redundancy.

In any case modal is a big no-no.

• Like 2

I commented on twitter, but basically Andrew is removing the need for dDo in the workflow. Interesting developments.

i was about to post the answer andrew gave me, but thx carlossan  you had been faster :)

i agree with beatkitano, this must to be merge into just one panel.

but i think that andrew with refont this panel and the UI as it make more sense to regroup all those layer stuff on the same place. but it 's cosmectic detail that would logically be achieved when the viewport renderer and the layer system will be enought stable to refont the app with all this new feature.

The alignment of the texture types on the left, and the options on the left side, make me think that "specular" has been renamed into "gloss".

something that i not quiet about is the specular /gloss channel, that can always be use on non pbr game engine, and  because it can be use on the shader to make some area looks wet in additional of the metalness workflow.

ont the very top of the shader settings we would have to choose the workflow we want to work with, it should look like that  :

old style :

diffuse,height, specular

metalness :

albedo,height,metallic,roughness with the possibility to add a specular channel for in special cases you need that)

reflectance :

albedo, height, gloss, specular_color

here you force people to use the best practice, and you must to paint the metal color onto this type of textures map you would output when you are done.

prevent user to use the color onto the albedo if you have a specular color map linked with that shader type.

also that would be perfect if we could add additional textures types like AO, opacity, emisive, mat_id,  but also bake AO and curvature map.

we just need to define if this output will be RGB, RGBA or only grayscale texture. 3d coat can or ca

But anyway, the screenshot demonstrates that Andrew is not working only on the pbr rendering, but shadering improvement.

I keep my fingers crossed and I strongly hope for the next stable build why not the version 4.5, that could be shipped with a full revisions of the UI fondamentals, adding a main outline from the one you could switch transparently from any the the current room system.

it could be a render pass layer, so the viewport display the proper stuff into the viewport.

if you select a retopo mesh you acces the proper tool on the ui.

The brushes options panel should also be revised, i just want that menu displayed when you hit the spacebar to fit my needs, cause in that current state, it's a tool that i never use.

• Like 2

It are not shader settings! It are rather material/stamp settings that as usual may be applied to whole layer or just painted somewhere.

I plan to add possibility to assign stamp/material to whole layer using it's alpha/color as modifiers. It will open way to almost infinite resolution of layer. But now it works as complex stamp/material.

All this takes more time than usually. But I think it really worth the final desired result.

• Like 2

Bulba_bigger.pngAndrew Shpagin ‏@AndrewShpagin

And it is done via layer-based system, not node based. It is more suitable for understanding by artists.

141493297002.jpg

Wow that looks confusing!

When it is released I hope they also release some demos on how these new features work.

When I try these betas out for myself I always miss something and I only learn about it from an AbnRanger video months or years later.

Edit: Actually, after looking at it a bit longer, it is making sense. But still, some demo videos would be nice!

• Like 1

Wow that looks confusing!When it is released I hope they also release some demos on how these new features work.When I try these betas out for myself I always miss something and I only learn about it from an AbnRanger video months or years later.Edit: Actually, after looking at it a bit longer, it is making sense. But still, some demo videos would be nice!

It doesn't look confusing to me. It looks very similar to dDo in fact. I am already tasked with doing some videos for this. Should be finished shortly after I get the final build with these features AND fix the UI text. A lot of those bits of text in the screenshots are run on sentences, I'll also change some of the terminology to match the rest of the new terminology.

• Like 1

I like the the cavity icons (should be added in top menu), I like the customization amount. I hate the layer stack in a modal dialog.

Can it be associated  to the current layer system  with a dedicated panel to show the settings each time we select a layer ?

Right now it seems extremely confusing/without cohesion with the systems already in place, not even talking about redundancy.

In any case modal is a big no-no.

Agreed. Even if all we can get is a popup like the layer blending on each layer, I would be fine with that, but the giant modal window is cumbersome looking.

It doesn't look confusing to me. It looks very similar to dDo in fact. I am already tasked with doing some videos for this. Should be finished shortly after I get the final build with these features AND fix the UI text. A lot of those bits of text in the screenshots are run on sentences, I'll also change some of the terminology to match the rest of the new terminology.

Awesome! Thanks Javis!

i was about to post the answer andrew gave me, but thx carlossan  you had been faster :)

i agree with beatkitano, this must to be merge into just one panel.

but i think that andrew with refont this panel and the UI as it make more sense to regroup all those layer stuff on the same place. but it 's cosmectic detail that would logically be achieved when the viewport renderer and the layer system will be enought stable to refont the app with all this new feature.

The alignment of the texture types on the left, and the options on the left side, make me think that "specular" has been renamed into "gloss".

something that i not quiet about is the specular /gloss channel, that can always be use on non pbr game engine, and  because it can be use on the shader to make some area looks wet in additional of the metalness workflow.

ont the very top of the shader settings we would have to choose the workflow we want to work with, it should look like that  :

old style :

diffuse,height, specular

metalness :

albedo,height,metallic,roughness with the possibility to add a specular channel for in special cases you need that)

reflectance :

albedo, height, gloss, specular_color

here you force people to use the best practice, and you must to paint the metal color onto this type of textures map you would output when you are done.

prevent user to use the color onto the albedo if you have a specular color map linked with that shader type.

also that would be perfect if we could add additional textures types like AO, opacity, emisive, mat_id,  but also bake AO and curvature map.

we just need to define if this output will be RGB, RGBA or only grayscale texture. 3d coat can or ca

But anyway, the screenshot demonstrates that Andrew is not working only on the pbr rendering, but shadering improvement.

I keep my fingers crossed and I strongly hope for the next stable build why not the version 4.5, that could be shipped with a full revisions of the UI fondamentals, adding a main outline from the one you could switch transparently from any the the current room system.

it could be a render pass layer, so the viewport display the proper stuff into the viewport.

if you select a retopo mesh you acces the proper tool on the ui.

The brushes options panel should also be revised, i just want that menu displayed when you hit the spacebar to fit my needs, cause in that current state, it's a tool that i never use.

I agree with everything you have said here. So +1. :)

Awesome! Thanks Javis!

My pleasure. :)

Im wondering why Specular (Gloss) blending modes are no longer there?

Good question. Maybe for debugging only?

this material/stamp settings could be stored to be used/shared into another project ?

could be a community library of materials ready to use for any1 ?

yeah, i suppose the same, but didnt saw a save/load button

so "in theory" this settings could be stored in brush presets too ? *

this will be a incredible and welcome step forward -and time saver, oc- :-)

* any info is welcome

Pleaaase Don't go nodal!!!!! It's a nightmare for artist !  Nodal Allegorithmic subtance designer is an authistic tool!!!!   :(

Keep your layer-based philisophy !! Thank you very much   :)

Pleaaase Don't go nodal!!!!! It's a nightmare for artist !  Nodal Allegorithmic subtance designer is an authistic tool!!!!   :(

Keep your layer-based philisophy !! Thank you very much   :)

That's subjective, because I for instance find nodal systems much more intuitive than layer-based (one of the reasons I chose Substance Designer over dDo) and I dream of a node-based Photoshop. But I think you don't have anything to fear, because Andrew has explicitly stated that he won't be doing a node-based PBR system.

Edited by ajz3d

I like nodal, especially if you're needing to do something that's generally complicated using a layer based system. That said, I like layer based systems as well for their simplicity and quick results. Anyway, it is completely subjective like ajz3d said. :) BTW azj3d, check out Filter Forge for PS if you haven't already. It's pretty cool (Nodal PS, more or less).

Anyway, we're swerving off topic a little. It looks like Andrew has had presets in mind with these as well, so it should be pretty easy to start sharing our materials right out of the gate. I'm really glad I changed the name of materials and materials, because we're getting another materials... Which are actually materials! :p: