3DCoat Forums
Taros

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

lol ok

its a brainstorm

nobody is the owner of the true... just chitchat...

@Andrew

How did you handle the "diffusemap" export for metal/rough and spec/glossy workflow.

Both did not use the same colors, there is a difference.

@Andrew

How did you handle the "diffusemap" export for metal/rough and spec/glossy workflow.

Both did not use the same colors, there is a difference.

There will be different export options.

Possibly there will be droplist for choosing export approach.

We tried to export diffuse and specular color - and picture in Marmoset is identical to Coat's.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused as to how these "smart materials" will be implemented. Will it be like Shaders in the Sculpt room, with the ability to edit the material, layers in the Paint room, or...?

Edit:

Another question, and how will "SM" interact with Shaders and paint?

Edited by RobertH

I'm a bit confused as to how these "smart materials" will be implemented. Will it be like Shaders in the Sculpt room, with the ability to edit the material, layers in the Paint room, or...?

I'm curious, too. Hope it's something like this as well...with lots of different preset materials/shaders:

Smart Mat is cool, I liked the "matter maker" suggestion too, but that may be too "zbrush-y" and 3dcoat is definitely not trying to be like zbrush.

How about Smart Matter? Sounds kind of cool to say our models are covered in Smart Matter...

Edited by RobertH

Smart Mat and Smart Matter both sound cool. Definitely Zbrush-y, but cool.

Edit:

I'm almost done working on a video for the current implementation.

If you've ever used dDo, then it functions like that, very similarly, except for one very big difference: You can use any paint tool to apply where the painting happens, without using or the need for color ID maps.

There are not shaders, but they are like shaders only in that you can edit them, by creating as many layers as you need to get the effects you want. For example you could have a very clean looking photograph turned seamless texture of some bricks for your bottom layer, now you want to apply grunge to the bricks, but only very specifically.

For example, if you want some moss applied to the flat areas of the bricks, and some dirt and grime in the space between the bricks. You'll make one layer for the dirt, and use a cavity or AO map to specify where the dirt will be, you can also break this up and randomize it a bit with another image and a noise generator. Now you want to place the noise with another seamless texture of mossy bits on the flat areas by creating a layer atop of the dirt layer. Again by using a cavity or AO, or really even a height or curvature map (AO would probably be best in this case), you can place the moss in just the areas that are flat.

That's just a quick and dirty example, hopefully that explains it a little better. Artman posted something else previous that explained it a bit too that was good. And as he pointed out, you still need to create the seamless textures and all of the accompanying maps (albedo, spec, height, cavity, AO). You at least need albedo and a height map to get anything interesting, I recommend at least those, a spec, cavity and AO to get things in a better place. Once you have all those, you still need to customize the Material to your liking, or use a preset. Which is where I come in, for the moment. I'm creating a number of presets that will ship with the distro build. There are a few metals, but are mostly non-metals for dirtying things up. More effect-like Materials.

And as far as they interact with shaders, they don't at the moment.

Edit:

How about avoiding the "Smart" material idea altogether? Why even stick to English, if it works and sounds good? A few random thoughts:

Material Coat

Matter Coat

Überzug <<<< That one

Genie Farbe

розумний фарба (Rozumnyy Farba), (Ukranian: Smart/Intelligent Paint)

Stratis (Layers) (Latin)

Stratum (Layer)

Those last two Latin ones could be used as "Stratis System", "Stratum System", or something similar. "Stratis Paint", "Stratum Paint", etc..

I've got it:

Materia

(Latin: Material)

Sounds pretty cool, and describes it. Being Latin, also has the luck of almost complete universal comprehension.

Überzug :D

Sounds blöd.

Keep it in English.

It have to be very cool to use a different language.

Or call is kraska =)

edit: i like Materia.

It is Polish? What does it mean? It sounds cool. Dictionary search returns some kind of bird. :)

Überzug :D

Sounds blöd.

Keep it in English.

It have to be very cool to use a different language.

Das ist sehr blöd, aber nicht Englisch. ;) lol

Very funny discussion about the name. By the way: I like the current one "Materia" too.

personnally i would let go of the "smart" ....(just my opinion here)

They are not really smart. You need to be the smart one.

You need to prepare/feed good maps ect....

dDo are "smarts" because they adapt to texel density and mesh shape and also generate most scratches/weathering themselves....

In 3DCoat its just cube-mapping.....cube-mapping is not really smart

but it does a better job imo because it does not give a damn about UV seams/shells.

Also what I like much more of 3DCoat than dDo is the instant feedback, no PS scripts runnings... its so much more about your mesh.

dDo needs a objectspace normal map to understand directions and a gradient map too sometimes... 3DCoat in that regard is much better.

I just hope people wont be too disappointed to find out they needs to prepare their maps first,metalness is especially important.. .

it does require some skills or the use of libraries like megascan or apps like pixplant or bitmap2material (50$...really best tool to work along 3DCoat with this new feature (pbr previewing and metalness map generation is essential)

(btw metalness map is easy to prepare if you know how to use keying/magic wand ect..its the easiest,roughness/gloss are little harder to get without 3D previewing or some values chart)

Perlin is cool but I hope Andrew will implement other kind of noises/fractals for masking (there are already quite a bunch in Fill tool) or even maybe eventually implement a tool like bitmap2material that allow extraction of tillable maps from photo/image with synched metalneess/roughness/albedo ect..

Its probably not so hard for Andrew to create;the base funtionality of those tools is always the same.

-Normal map extraction always have something like 3 sliders small/large and medium details ect...

-Albedo always have some sort of light/shadows cancellation sliders, hue/contrast controls ect..

-Roughness/gloss always seem to be somehow derivated from normal map with intensity/spread control..

-Metalness is just keying a color from base image and replacing the operands with white/black values..

All this of course previewed using PBR(or not) on a basic primitive like a cube or a cylinder with IBL cubemaps for lighting.

Making sampled image/photo selections tilable is probably the hardest part .

In that regard Pixplant is vastly superior to bitmap2material its just a shame it does not use physically based previewing.

• Like 1

personnally i would let go of the "smart"

But if you take away "Smart" from "Smart Material" then you are just left with "Material". Then these new materials don't sound special anymore. They still need an adjective or two in front to make them more than just "Materials".

Maybe:

Custom Materials

Custom PBR Materials

Versatile Materials

Adaptive Materials

Multi-Materials

Composite Materials

But if you take away "Smart" from "Smart Material" then you are just left with "Material". Then these new materials don't sound special anymore. They still need an adjective or two in front to make them more than just "Materials".

Maybe:

Custom Materials

Custom PBR Materials

Versatile Materials

Adaptive Materials

Multi-Materials

Composite Materials

Im still very fond of "Coatings"..... ex:Here are 20 new coatings for 3DCoat 's coating tool.

But Custom PBR Materials is very good....Composite materials too...

I dont like Patina much....I dont know why ,probably I just dont like how it sounds....patina,patinas...I just dont like it.
Anyway its not that important...I remember profoundly disliking the word "autopo" and it does not bother me anymore at all...
(probably because I dont use it much anymore too..haha :))

What I mean is once Andrew has made his mind we'll all get used to whatever its gonna be called....

• Like 1

"Coating" sounds strange to me.

In English I usually say "I added another coat of paint to the wall." It sounds strange to say "I added another coating of paint to the wall."

But like you said, I guess we'll get used to whatever Andrew comes up with. I didn't like "autopo" either when it first came out, I always thought it should have been "autoretopo".

But, now I really am used to it. Lol!

Well, another unique neologism for us to incorporate into our gray cells. Fortunately, I wake up with some new ones every day.