3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

One thing about doing this in LightWave is that the cursor changes to reflect what mode you're in. So you don't have to take your eyes off of the cursor while you switch. I'll be curious to see how this feels.

+1 Very important. I don't like to be "blind"...

• Advanced Member

Well, I hope Andrew can put an option somewhere to "reset hotkey cycle to zero after x seconds".

Otherwise I'll have to have some sort of legend telling me what tool I'm on and what the next tool is. (which can be useful anyway)

But instead of hitting 'A' for example until I get the correct tool (and possibly passing the tool I want), I can just tap once to get the paint brush, tap twice to get the air brush, etc. And it should work well for a macro keypad. I can see both the loop cycle and the reset cycle being useful.

• Advanced Member

Well to be fair I assume the buttons on the UI would get highlighted the way they currently do, so at least there's that.

Unless the user has the tool menu minimized and uses the 'spacebar' menu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Well, I hope Andrew can put an option somewhere to "reset hotkey cycle to zero after x seconds".

Otherwise I'll have to have some sort of legend telling me what tool I'm on and what the next tool is. (which can be useful anyway)

But instead of hitting 'A' for example until I get the correct tool (and possibly passing the tool I want), I can just tap once to get the paint brush, tap twice to get the air brush, etc. And it should work well for a macro keypad. I can see both the loop cycle and the reset cycle being useful.

So I downloaded the "secret" next beta here and I played around with the "StackKey" feature. I think we (at least I do :pardon: ) definitely need this "reset hotkey cycle after x seconds". :good:

I have been using it for a bit now, and I remember the hotkeys well enough, or just be looking at what I have active.

Of course I'm not saying having a retimer or a hotkey to reset it isn't a bad idea. I just think it should be optional. :)

For instance, "0" in the field turns it off, setting a value higher would reset it in that number of seconds, and than of course a hotkey would be a manual way to reset it.

• Advanced Member

I have been using it for a bit now, and I remember the hotkeys well enough, or just be looking at what I have active.

Of course I'm not saying having a retimer or a hotkey to reset it isn't a bad idea. I just think it should be optional. :)

For instance, "0" in the field turns it off, setting a value higher would reset it in that number of seconds, and than of course a hotkey would be a manual way to reset it.

Optional of course! :good:

A timer reset field like that would be handy.

• Advanced Member

I will agree there are some tools that seem to do the same thing, only slightly different

I guess thats the nature of 3d software taht is constantly developed. Lw has so many redundant commands. 3dmax has the ribbon and the right side panels. All redundant and needs some cleaning up.

I guess thats the nature of 3d software taht is constantly developed. Lw has so many redundant commands. 3dmax has the ribbon and the right side panels. All redundant and needs some cleaning up.

That was just a spammer, I got him but forgot to delete his post. Gone now.

This looks like good news indeed!

I made support of caching of voxel volumes. You may cache any vol to disk and leave only low poly proxy of the volume.

In so way you can preserve memory and increase speed of sculpting.

Yeah it's pretty amazing. It really does speed things up while sculpting, especially when using tools the move. You can adjust a large area, and then bounce back to your actual sculpt from the proxy object. It's really great.

• Advanced Member

Yeah it's pretty amazing. It really does speed things up while sculpting, especially when using tools the move. You can adjust a large area, and then bounce back to your actual sculpt from the proxy object. It's really great.

Interesting! That makes me wonder if it would be possible to have an option so that 3D Coat temporarily switches to a proxy object whenever you move the camera. This way there may not be a need for a subdivision/multires support after all.

• Applink Developer

auto swich to a proxy when move camera would be nice. But This feature is already making it faster because you can check into proxy layers you want.

So you can move objects too in proxy mode?. This is going to be very needed. I have been waiting that I can re-pose my root monster easier, and I think

that this is the solution for that. :good:

Sounds like Multi-res is going well!

Good news! It looks like experiments with voxel multiresolution are very successful at least un surface level.
You will be able to modify proxy (cache) and combine together high frequency details from original mesh and biggere details from the proxy.
I made it on surface level. Now I am fighting for good speed of this operation, but even now it is not bad.

Please, go and check the twitter. There might be something that you really, reaallly like.

I only like things that I see. :) But really interesting.

What I am most happy about is the multicore support! This info is listening really good. I hope it works.

• Advanced Member

To be read from bottom to top

# any mesh can be degraded to any degree. about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

# On my thought it is even better then usual multires because usually mesh could be degraded only to initial polycount but in our case... about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

# You will be able to degrade object, modify low poly mesh and combine together low and high frequency details. about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

# Multiresolution for voxels is done. It is well multicore optimized. about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

# I made it on surface level. Now I am fighting for good speed of this operation, but even now it is not bad. 5:08 PM Jun 5th via TweetDeck

# You will be able to modify proxy (cache) and combine together high frequency details from original mesh and biggere details from the proxy. 5:07 PM Jun 5th via TweetDeck

# Good news! It looks like experiments with voxel multiresolution are very successful at least un surface level. 5:06 PM Jun 5th via TweetDeck

• Advanced Member

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Multires in 3D Coat, maybe I can move from ZBrush back to 3D Coat for some of my sculpting work.... perhaps perhaps... THANK YOU ANDREW!!!!

And did I read that it is also "multicore optimized", oh you know that is just plain awesome.... looks like a new build is already up too.

Does anyone have any tutorial videos or info on their workflows with this new addition to 3D Coat yet? I know its very early to ask such a thing, just wanted to see.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Phil, looking forward to it. Please post the link if you dont mind doing so :-)

Do you have a youTube user channel?

EDIT: Just subscribed Phil :-)

Edit#2: Hopefully an OSX build soon

• Advanced Member

cool the vids up, thanks again Phil!

this feature looks awesome, cant wait till the banding issue is fixed. This is a feature I have wanted for some time, and was glad to see it in action in your video.