3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Reputable Contributor

I hope Sub-Surface Scattering (SSS) is part of the materials/shaders. Could really, really use that! Oh, and I've already asked Andrew to add Bercon Maps to both the Fill tool (among it's default procedural noise patterns/maps) and default material (procedural) maps.

BeconMaps_Main.jpg

http://www.ylilammi.com/2013/09/berconmaps/

Mantis Request:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1649

thx for sharing this screen capture Andrew.

it makes me think that it would be nice to have a post process effect that improve the antialiasing.

I'm sure he'll add some post effects once the basics are there. :)

So far, the next build is looking pretty amazing. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Viewport is looking ace.

Procedural materials sounds nice, but I'd rather we get the PS-style masks issue sorted first. If procedural masks can be used with procedural materials something equivalent to DDO in 3DC should become possible too.

A particle brush system like found in Substance Painter would also be very useful.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Advanced Member

Is 3DC's pbr going to be bakeable to maps at all? Or alternatively, can its pbr be exported to Unity's pbr? I have no idea if these shaders or whatever are implemented differently by different apps or if it's the same in anything that claims to do pbr... Can someone please shed some light on this for me? (no pun intended)

Edited by popwfx

• Reputable Contributor

Viewport is looking ace.

Procedural materials sounds nice, but I'd rather we get the PS-style masks issue sorted first. If procedural masks can be used with procedural materials something equivalent to DDO in 3DC should become possible too.

A particle brush system like found in Substance Painter would also be very useful.

While I would like to see layer masks directly on the layer itself, the way it works in 3D Coat is practically identical to the way it works in PS. It's practically two different layers in PS, as evidenced in the two different thumbnails. You click on the chain link icon to link or unlink the two. That's pretty much what you have with layer masks in 3DC...they just aren't stack on top of one another on a single layer. So, with that being the case, I'm not too worried about that being visited until higher priority features are done.

Again, you HAVE layer masks in 3D Coat, and they do work very similar to how it works in PS...just not exactly. And for that reason alone, it's not exactly an urgent need, IMHO. Having more extensive Procedural maps added to the PBR materials and Fill tool is not a major development effort. It's merely adding a library of maps to what is already in 3D Coat.

• Reputable Contributor

Is 3DC's pbr going to be bakeable to maps at all? Or alternatively, can its pbr be exported to Unity's pbr? I have no idea if these shaders or whatever are implemented differently by different apps or if it's the same in anything that claims to do pbr... Can someone please shed some light on this for me? (no pun intended)

I think that is the aim. PBR doesn't make a lot of sense if it's only usable in 3D Coat. The whole concept is to see what the materials will look like in a game engine or another PBR rendering engine, like Marmoset

• Like 1

1. @BeatKitano Yes! But for completion you will need to apply material in paint room. Materials are still in development.

Yea I understand their similarities, but the fact remains that masks are not transferable between apps which hinders the workflow.

Indeed. This is because 3DC doesn't have layer masks, rather clip masks, just like PS. That is why I renamed them to clip masks. If we had actual layer masks, they would most likely be transferable.

Question though Andrew: How are you gonna make every pbr param stay in the top bar without making it a mess ?

I'm worried, a panel wouldn't be in order ?

There is just one additional parameter - Metallness. It is enough for all effects.

Generally you may export in old style - diffuse + specular color and get same result in non-pbr renders.

• Like 1

There is just one additional parameter - Metallness. It is enough for all effects.

Generally you may export in old style - diffuse + specular color and get same result in non-pbr renders.

And what if you add one more? It's already really cluttered on the top bar, IMHO. All these parameters (diffuse color, depth, spec, metalness, steady stroke, invert, etc.) should really all be in the Brush Options panel.

Maybe the top bar could be customizable instead, allowing users to put what they want up there. But by default all those options, is too much.

• Contributor

Andrew,what Im worried is there is still no specular intensity/color channel in 3DCoat...only a blending mode that simulate spec colr/int.

We only have roughness/gloss (currently called specular)

PBR does not require that channel only metalness + gloss is enough,specularity in pbr is using mostly contant values and spec color gets sampled from albedo (at least thats the way it works in UnrealEngine4).

But for the workflow without metalness (using gloss+ Spec color/int) its still impossible to make a brush with those 2 channels synched since in 3Dcoats it is only a blending mode and not a true channel. It would be great if this issue what adressed at some point because to make good brushes or filling presets those 2 channels must be synched.

• Like 1