3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Advanced Member

Isn't it pretty much just as easy to delete the problem polys and then use the Strokes tool to create the new correct ones?

too true, I was just mentioning what products like UV Master are making much of the industry come to expect. If a bit more time on the coding side of things can save the "average" user an hour or more, it garners a lot of attention from studios/artists on a budget/timeline. Personally, I prefer to still create my own UV's, but I couldn't believe how much positive acclaim Pixologic received for UV Master from those I conversate with. I've used UV Master, its good, but lacking for the picky/expert UV technician/artist.

Having this new implementation by Andrew also include the ability to paint in "suggestive strokes" would make it the king of the retopo industry IMO. Some Mudbox/ZBrush users I know have purchased 3D Coat JUST FOR THE RETOPO toolset(and nothing else), so this would likely benefit 3D Coat in a number of ways(at the very least, more praise/mentions for 3D Coat on other app forums ;-).

• Advanced Member

now that is quite an idea. Like painting in your seam lines with UV Master in ZBrush.

Yes, I thought of something in this direction...

@Phil - I think that there is quite a difference to using the strokes-tool actually.

With (indicator)paint-strokes one could lay out an optimal flow on the clean raw Voxel.

What you suggest means being confronted with a complex situation and actually repairing...

I guess when you tried the Zbrush UV-Mapper you'd agree...

• Advanced Member

The best coder on the planet could spend years on this feature and there would still be issues.

I'd place my wager as Andrew being in the top ten if not the best! Have no proof other than the development of 3DC...but how many near solo projects even get half this far in twice the time?

I mentioned something along those lines to him recently, but I think he wants to take this one step at a time. I would think that this might actually make it easier to implement...by telling the program where you want it to direct edgeflow, instead of a complex algorithm to GUESS where you want it. Almost like a Strokes tool on steroids. :)

Yes, "retopo guidelines" are in discussion and already asked several times by some professional artists while the coding process. I metioned this to Andrew too. He "think" about it and told me that such a fucntion is possible, but not in the first release step. Don't forget: this is the first release of the completely rewritten autoretopo routine. So be patient, please.

And maybe one more point for the charakter discussion: The autoretopo routine is neather optimised for charakters nor mechanical objects only. The routine "just" tries to follow the model shape and generates a more or less logical mesh, as possible. So everyone will profit from this routine, because everyone needs good topology. That's all.

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

Question I have is, will it make all of the quads the same size? I think that was something Andrew said it would do. For something like an ear, you would want them much smaller than say, a neck.

Yep, looks like all quads will be the same size. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and it's something game artists and many ZBrush users strive for. ZBrush users in particular like their quads to be of equal size because of the way poly painting works. And game artists like quads to be evenly sized because of normal maps.

And the process won't be able to retopo a human face satisfactorily for most people anyway, simply because we now have a very strict idea as to how a human face should be retopo'd.

And the process won't be able to retopo a human face satisfactorily for most people anyway, simply because we now have a very strict idea as to how a human face should be retopo'd.

Right, that's why we were just talking about the ear.

Question I have is, will it make all of the quads the same size? I think that was something Andrew said it would do. For something like an ear, you would want them much smaller than say, a neck.

I don't think/hope so. This would forbid fine details at local places. Hope Andrew will have a solution for this issue.

• Contributor

A... mazing!

There it is,best remeshing solution in the whole verse baby. :brush:8)

Merge to voxels any closed mesh combinations and remesh to nice retopology

faster than any solutions out there,and import scale is respected on remesh .obj export.

• Advanced Member

@ Phil : +1

also, if you brought a mesh like that into ZBrush and "reconstructed lower levels" of subdivision, that would become a VERY optimized low poly mesh for realtime work. For anyone not aware, ZBrush can automatically reconstruct lower subdivision levels of a mesh that is all quads, its awesome IMO.

I am VERY VERY eager to test out a build with Andrew new amazing feature added, this is a game-changer, and reason enough to buy 3D Coat just for this feature IMO.

• Advanced Member

I am EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMLY excited about this. I saw the StrinkDragon video and my heart skipped a beat. I do not lie to you. :brush::brush::brush:

• Advanced Member

this is really shaping up, Andrew!

I imagine the more time spent getting the 'planning' linework done, the

more accurate the quadrangulation?

I'm still seeing some anomalies across the symmetry plane, but if one wanted

to quickly fix those they could just export out to, say Silo, re-mirror, and

re-import.

Really excited about what a time-saver this will be! :)

this is really shaping up, Andrew!

I imagine the more time spent getting the 'planning' linework done, the

more accurate the quadrangulation?

I'm still seeing some anomalies across the symmetry plane, but if one wanted

to quickly fix those they could just export out to, say Silo, re-mirror, and

re-import.

Really excited about what a time-saver this will be! :)

You can, but don't need to export anything. You can adjust all in 3DC very fast. All known retopo tools can still be used in 3DC, they should fulfill all challenges.

Very nice, he heared the insiders - catchword: "Retopo Guidelines". :) What a crazy guy he is.

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

The retopo suggestive-strokes are what really set the new 3D Coat implementation apart, not only the awesome geometry.

ask and ye shall receive. Thank you Andrew!

Have a great Siggraph. IMO, this is a feature that will likely win many 3D Coat converts/users.

Just tried beta

Changelist:

- new Quadrangulation routine (still slightly raw)! Symmetry is supported, but not excellent. I already made is very god, but will upload it after getting back from SIGGRAPH. To use new feature go to retopo strokes, add strokes if beed, then VoxTree->RMB->Quadrangulate

its not giving me any results back for this shape :

upload1k.jpg