3DCoat Forums

New zBrush Update with "evil" new features...

Taros

• Contributor

I got my new copy of ZB 3.5 R3 (what a ridiculous versioning!) tonight, and have played a bit with it. For me, THE BIGGEST improvement are the easy, high-quality Boolean operations -- it's now, finally, possible to model a face and its hair separately, and then merge the two subtools into one, so I can smooth the hair flawlessly into the head. This has always been impossible before in ZB, so this is a huge step forward. I was also able to work with models with about 33 million polys, without undue slowdowns -- though it's still a 32-bit-only app, alas. So, there are some good news in ZB land!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I got my new copy of ZB 3.5 R3 (what a ridiculous versioning!) tonight, and have played a bit with it. For me, THE BIGGEST improvement are the easy, high-quality Boolean operations -- it's now, finally, possible to model a face and its hair separately, and then merge the two subtools into one, so I can smooth the hair flawlessly into the head. This has always been impossible before in ZB, so this is a huge step forward. I was also able to work with models with about 33 million polys, without undue slowdowns -- though it's still a 32-bit-only app, alas. So, there are some good news in ZB land!

I guess this is a direct reaction of 3DC's workflow of seamlesly boolean operations...at least the new chrome shader in ZB looks very familiar to me... ;) Nice to see both applications pushing forward each other...have to try the new features tonight...

• Advanced Member

One idea that 3D Coat could have is for the toothpaste/muscle tools to have square edged shapes, after looking at the Hard Sculpting results from Zbrush which look really cool im thinking that could be a good feature maybe. Im probably just really bad at using this app right now but it seems more suited for organic stuff unless you are modelling with the shape tools so some hard/crisp edge tools to make sci-fi/robotic/other stuff would be really cool in 3DC i think.

• Advanced Member

Unfiied skining is available in zbrush since verison 1.5, long before 3D coat.

I know...and I know that ZB uses voxels as a computing basis to build unified skin via marching cubes algorithm...we had a discussion a while ago about the new features like Zsketch here on this forum and if they're voxels or not...with the new boolean functions ZB has implemented one of the killer features of 3DC to seamlessly cut and melt objects. Let's pray ZB Programmers never get sculpting without polygon limitations to work (whereby Zsketch is very close to it)...

• Contributor

One idea that 3D Coat could have is for the toothpaste/muscle tools to have square edged shapes, after looking at the Hard Sculpting results from Zbrush which look really cool im thinking that could be a good feature maybe. Im probably just really bad at using this app right now but it seems more suited for organic stuff unless you are modelling with the shape tools so some hard/crisp edge tools to make sci-fi/robotic/other stuff would be really cool in 3DC i think.

3DC Planar brush does that ;)

• Contributor

Let's pray ZB Programmers never get sculpting without polygon limitations to work (whereby Zsketch is very close to it)...

I can't subscribe to that way of thinking at all: I want ALL my tools to be as good as possible in EVERY respect. That we now suddenly have fine Boolean operations in ZB is great news for all 3D artists -- even for those who don't use ZB at all, but prefer 3DC for all their modelling, as it will make the Andrew & Co. work hard at coming up with great new 3DC features, which I'm sure they'll manage to do. Competition benefits EVERYBODY -- and it's senseless to "pray" that Product X doesn't get some feature to work.

• Advanced Member

Another free update. Really cool of pixologic. But like blender I dislike the interface still. I probably do this kind of work once every 2 months and getting back to it feels like alien ui all over again. Max,maya, lw, Ae already giving me headache. If they have 3dc simple workflow ui(photoshop ui) with zbrush powerful sculpting that would be the best.

Another free update. Really cool of pixologic. But like blender I dislike the interface still. I probably do this kind of work once every 2 months and getting back to it feels like alien ui all over again. Max,maya, lw, Ae already giving me headache. If they have 3dc simple workflow ui(photoshop ui) with zbrush powerful sculpting that would be the best.

@Blender: If you don't like the old UI, then look to the new one in version 2.5 -> www.blender.org

@Blender: If you don't like the old UI, then look to the new one in version 2.5 -> www.blender.org

I was interested in this UI update for a while so I downloaded it as soon as it was available. Unfortunately the parts I didn't like are still there. The way the mouse and other transformation type tools work is the main thing. And this weird red/white circle that appears wherever you click.

• Advanced Member

I was interested in this UI update for a while so I downloaded it as soon as it was available. Unfortunately the parts I didn't like are still there. The way the mouse and other transformation type tools work is the main thing. And this weird red/white circle that appears wherever you click.

Hi Phil,

this all can get changed (was available long before 2.5 actually).

So one can set in User-Preferences to select with LMB instead of RMB and one can also

use Standard Transform Widgets if one can not get accustomed to Blenders default transform

style.

• Advanced Member

Hi Phil,

this all can get changed (was available long before 2.5 actually).

So one can set in User-Preferences to select with LMB instead of RMB and one can also

use Standard Transform Widgets if one can not get accustomed to Blenders default transform

style.

yes, left mouse click selection is possible but...then you lost your Maya or Lightwave like navigation (press Alt+left Mousebutton to rotate view) Nevertheless 2.5 alpha0 is a great update and if you're familiar with right click selection it works very well...

@Philnolan3d

jepp, those little red circle was stressing my nerves alot at my first time in Blender. After a while you will find it very useful! You can place it in 3D space where ever you want and align objects or manipulators to. Give this tiny circle a chance... :rolleyes:

greez, Rene

• Advanced Member

I'll have to look at the manual or something. I couldn't figure out what the circle was for.

unfortunately you will get the whole Blender magic with shortcuts only...try SHIFT+c - this will snap the 3dCursor to the center of the grid. Then press SHIFT+s and choose selected to cursor and voila the currently selected object will be centered (if it was'nt before). Only one usage of the 3dcursor...

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I just noticed they are releasing a new update of ZB. I also noticed they now have new brushes and modifiers for them, now im wondering if they read this forum -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4361&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4306&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

They are good ideas though anyway so i hope they make there way into 3DC also.