3D Coat Forums
simmsimaging

Brett Simms Imaging - a few 3DC pieces

hello Brett... Great renders.. great models...

if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question... how do you achieve such precision with the disp map..? lately I tried working on a model with1/2 m. polys... 4096x4096 pix map... but it is VERY far from what you have here... I mean a small brush from preset (small hair like) gives me only blobby stuff.. even if I load a high precision disp map.. all fine setails are gone....

anyway... very cool...

Hervé

These are excelent images. Your modelling and texturing...and rendering skills are top notch. I have been learning Vray as well and it's truly amazing renderer.

Which 3d program you used? Are these pure render pictures or did you use 2d program like photoshop too? Just Wau!

Very nice results. I like the materials and textures. Well made!

Official gallery candidate!

hello Brett... Great renders.. great models...

if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question... how do you achieve such precision with the disp map..? lately I tried working on a model with1/2 m. polys... 4096x4096 pix map... but it is VERY far from what you have here... I mean a small brush from preset (small hair like) gives me only blobby stuff.. even if I load a high precision disp map.. all fine setails are gone....

anyway... very cool...

Hervé

Thanks Hervé. I have not had any problems with the displacement maps I made in 3DC, but I don't actually use the depth channels for it - haven't really figured out how to make the right maps that way. I just paint black and white Diffuse maps, tweak them in Photoshop to get them 16bit, and use those. Are you using the depth channel of 3DC? I gave up trying to get tight detail, although I'm sure it can be done it's not easy to figure out.

These are excelent images. Your modelling and texturing...and rendering skills are top notch. I have been learning Vray as well and it's truly amazing renderer.

Which 3d program you used? Are these pure render pictures or did you use 2d program like photoshop too? Just Wau!

Thanks Haikalle. We use Max, and all the renders have some post work in Photoshop - some quite a bit. That's our primary job here, so hard not to get some retouching in there :)

Very nice results. I like the materials and textures. Well made!

Official gallery candidate!

Thanks Taros, much appreciated!

hey Brett... well yes... I work with depth channel in 3DCoat, but as you say... no tight details.... there might be a secret somewhere.... I use 4096 x 4096 pix maps.. but it's no enough apparently... 8000 x 8000 crashes... not enough mem.. it goes skyrocket to eat my 8gb... then bye bye.. how does Z-brush works in that respect.. better..?

Thanks Brett... I am a great fan of your work.. :)

hey Brett... well yes... I work with depth channel in 3DCoat, but as you say... no tight details.... there might be a secret somewhere.... I use 4096 x 4096 pix maps.. but it's no enough apparently... 8000 x 8000 crashes... not enough mem.. it goes skyrocket to eat my 8gb... then bye bye.. how does Z-brush works in that respect.. better..?

Hi herve_bis! do you work in microvertex mode or PP? If in microvertex how many millions of polygongs do you use for 4096x4096 textures? (it should be at least 16-17 millions) for 8000x8000 64 millions...

Thanks Brett... I am a great fan of your work.. :)

I have been experimenting lately and with a lot of help from the people on this forum was able to get somewhere with Voxels and a bit of detail, but in the end I went to Zbrush for the finer work. I am not sure yet if 3DC can get that same level of detail without artifacts, but for sure I find it a lot easier to do in Zbrush. However, if you are just painting for displacement, and not actually sculpting it in, then 3DC is the way to go because the painting tools are much better than in Zbrush (althought ZB is much faster/more responsive in the viewport so it can be faster for laying in base-coats).

Just my POV, but I have not had a ton of time to spend figuring out how to use all of 3DC's various ways of sculpting ;)

b

I have been experimenting lately and with a lot of help from the people on this forum was able to get somewhere with Voxels and a bit of detail, but in the end I went to Zbrush for the finer work. I am not sure yet if 3DC can get that same level of detail without artifacts, but for sure I find it a lot easier to do in Zbrush. However, if you are just painting for displacement, and not actually sculpting it in, then 3DC is the way to go because the painting tools are much better than in Zbrush (althought ZB is much faster/more responsive in the viewport so it can be faster for laying in base-coats).

Just my POV, but I have not had a ton of time to spend figuring out how to use all of 3DC's various ways of sculpting ;)

b

well, I have "some" success with voxels... so fun to work with.. after 2 hours, I was feeling good with it..

I have modeled a realistic lobster with it... all went good.. but I had to do the uv's in Modo... making uv's for it in 3D coat was a no go (too many base polys.. but I had to do it that way, otherwise, too much displacement would have been necessary..)

anyway, I will post the result here soon... after I post it at Maxwell forum.. off course... hehe..

I should give it a go at Zbrush one day...

Thanks Brett.. :drinks:

well, I have "some" success with voxels... so fun to work with.. after 2 hours, I was feeling good with it..

I have modeled a realistic lobster with it... all went good.. but I had to do the uv's in Modo... making uv's for it in 3D coat was a no go (too many base polys.. but I had to do it that way, otherwise, too much displacement would have been necessary..)

anyway, I will post the result here soon... after I post it at Maxwell forum.. off course... hehe..

I should give it a go at Zbrush one day...

Thanks Brett.. :drinks:

Looking forward to seeing what you have done with voxels. Your work is always top notch, so I'm sure it will be great.

b

ok, I hope you don't mind if I post it here... pretty much the base mesh.. but I am really almost finished... I am doing my first Maxwell tests...

219xxfr.jpg

• Like 1

ok, I hope you don't mind if I post it here... pretty much the base mesh.. but I am really almost finished... I am doing my first Maxwell tests...

Looks really good. That is about as detailed as anything we could get out of voxels so far. More than that and we were ending up going to Zbrush (so far anyway). It looks like you managed to avoid a lot of the smoothing problems we were having with voxels though - finding it hard to get nice smooth edges. Well done.

b

Hi Hervé,

just curious - did you - apart from automatic quadrangulation also try the manual Retopo-Tools inside 3DC?

I don't use modo but I was under the impression that 3DC had much more powerful tools in this area...

cheers, Holger

Hi Hervé,

just curious - did you - apart from automatic quadrangulation also try the manual Retopo-Tools inside 3DC?

I don't use modo but I was under the impression that 3DC had much more powerful tools in this area...

cheers, Holger

Thanks...

Well I wanted to have a pretty precise mesh out of 3DC, so auto quad. did it really well.. also I wanted limited displacement to detailing only... I then re-imported the mesh for making the disp, color, etc.. so far so good, I found that gives me the best results.. besides, in Maxwell, if the mesh is too light in polygons, you need to set precision pretty high in Maxwell.. so no gain.. but no I have not really tried the retopo tools in 3DC, just basic overview... (also uv'ing this kind of model... I go much better and faster in Modo.., but that maybe just me..)

Brett, thanks for the smoothing, it took me some time.. you can still see it on the body part... hehe.. I will post a render soon in Maxwell forum and here too..

@+

Cheers

h. :)

. but no I have not really tried the retopo tools in 3DC, just basic overview... (also uv'ing this kind of model... I go much better and faster in Modo.., but that maybe just me..)

I see, thanks Hervé