3DCoat Forums

Crash at splash screen

3DC has been working great!

Had a crash while running Vue 7 Infinite with 3DC running in the background and now I get can't get past the start-up screen crash. The PC won't even respond to ctrl-alt-del.

I've tried:

reinstalling 3DC

renaming the existing 3DC folder an re-installing 3DC

downloading the current version of 3DC ans re-installing from that

deleting both options.xml files

doing a system restore to before the problem started

All with out success. Since the program hangs at startup I can't transmit a report file.

The 32-bit version crashes with an "out of memory" error, and I was able to send a report on that.

I'm running on Window Vista 64 bit with all service packs installed. 8 Gigs of RAM, over 200 gigs of disk space free.

All my other programs seem to be working fine.

Help! In a few short months I've become addicted to 3DC and I'm starting to feel the need for my daily "fix" <G>

• Advanced Member

3DC has been working great!

Had a crash while running Vue 7 Infinite with 3DC running in the background and now I get can't get past the start-up screen crash. The PC won't even respond to ctrl-alt-del.

I've tried:

reinstalling 3DC

renaming the existing 3DC folder an re-installing 3DC

downloading the current version of 3DC ans re-installing from that

deleting both options.xml files

doing a system restore to before the problem started

All with out success. Since the program hangs at startup I can't transmit a report file.

The 32-bit version crashes with an "out of memory" error, and I was able to send a report on that.

I'm running on Window Vista 64 bit with all service packs installed. 8 Gigs of RAM, over 200 gigs of disk space free.

All my other programs seem to be working fine.

Help! In a few short months I've become addicted to 3DC and I'm starting to feel the need for my daily "fix" <G>

Please post Direct X or Open GL version, CUDA or non-CUDA.

Also pleas post your graphics card.

• Advanced Member

Open GL, non-CUDA, ATI Raedon 4800 series graphics card.

Earlier I couldn't get the GL version to load (nVidia QuadroFX 3450) ...so I was stuck with the DX version - but now they both work. However, I had to change the settings for openGL to default to Generic 3D Gaming, and create a profile for 3DC. Then no more openGL problems. However, please note, that Andrew says the DX version is faster in most cases. Even on my workstation card (albeit not a new cutting edge one) I can see a difference where DX is faster...

have you tried the DX version? does it also crash?

have you updated your graphics card drivers? if not - don't do that first :) just asking.

have you changed any settings on your graphics card driver for Open GL?

... anyway - good luck, hope this might help you troubleshoot... maybe it's something trivial, or... maybe it's not you at all, and instead a bug :D...

Cheers,

Christopher

Open GL, non-CUDA, ATI Raedon 4800 series graphics card.

I just tried deleting all versions of 3DC and re-installing from newly downloaded files.

When I tried to run the 32-bit version I got the same error message (Out-of-memory), but the program DID load and took me to the registration dialog. I entered my license and the darn thing loaded successfully! Both the DX and GL versions now load. I then tried the 64 bit versions and they too loaded!!

Apparently something got messed up with the licensing (possibly we need a dialog box to warn dummies like me that the program is not legal).

So problem is fixed!

Thanks for the prompt attention.

• Advanced Member

I just tried deleting all versions of 3DC and re-installing from newly downloaded files.

When I tried to run the 32-bit version I got the same error message (Out-of-memory), but the program DID load and took me to the registration dialog. I entered my license and the darn thing loaded successfully! Both the DX and GL versions now load. I then tried the 64 bit versions and they too loaded!!

Apparently something got messed up with the licensing (possibly we need a dialog box to warn dummies like me that the program is not legal).

So problem is fixed!

Thanks for the prompt attention.

Actually I've seen that discussed before (about deleting 3DC and clean installing...

the license is PROBABLY just coinciding with the clean install... and probably not the problem with the lock-up.

However you did the right thing to fix it!

--- there ShOULD be a dialog that pops up when the license is not valid... which is why I say it's prolly just coincidental about the license.